News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British of Belgian Medal

I recently received this medal but I'm unable to find more information about it. It has a ribbon in the Belgian colors but the design feels British.

My best guess is that it is an unofficial medal given to those involved with the aid of Belgians (possibly refugees) in England (Taunton, Somerset?).

All information about this medal or this Belgian Committee is welcome.

th_710556264_IMG_1966_122_595lo.JPG

th_710558144_IMG_1967_122_1123lo.JPG

th_710562493_IMG_1968_122_434lo.JPG

th_710566690_IMG_1969_122_92lo.JPG 

Kind regards,Vincent

Edited by VC89

Hello Vincent,

Sorry, don't have an answer on your question. The only thing I know  is, Taunton has a wonderful museum. Two years ago I visited the military museum of the Somerset light infantry etc.... If you don't find an answer here, you might try https://museumofsomerset.org.uk/somerset-military-museum-3/?

Lots of succes,

Jef

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to S. Astill (Curator – Military Collections, Exhibitions and Special Projects of the South West Heritage Trust (www.swheritage.org.uk)) who gave me this response:

"Somerset became the temporary home to many Belgian refugees fleeing their country following the German attack of August 1914. Committees were set up in towns across the county to raise funds to support the refugee families during their stay. This medal as awarded to people who supported the committee in Taunton through fundraising or other charity work."

Vincent

Wonderful Vincent. Have here some additional info from the Somerset County Gazette. The book written by M Claridge , Glastonbury's other legacy ( I travel once a year to G'bury) gives detailed information about names of Belgian families etc... Again you have a nice medal, although not official, but  with history in your collection.

Jef

krant Taunton.jpeg

krant2.jpeg

krant3.jpeg

Forgot to mention:blush:. The newspaper is a commemorative edition 1914-2014 of the Somerset County Gazette , available in the Taunton museum.

Jef