News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform Identification

Hi Everyone. 

Could use some help please!. Trying to identify the uniform this gentleman in the picture attached is wearing. Regiment number and type if possible and approximate year, This is my Grandfather which was in a Horse brigade of some sort. Tracing my Family tree and any info would be of great help as a novice to this. Thanks in advance Regards Peter..

George Fletcher Young Or His Brother.jpg

Many thanks Gra. Can see it's that one now. That throws a spanner in the works. Was told the picture either my Grandfather or other family member. Just found out my Grandfather only served with the 3rd Hussars?. 

The badge is not much neat in the photo and the 10th and 11 th badges were very similar in shape . of course is not the badge of the 3rd of hussars . the date of the photo is around the turn of the century or more accurately between 1905 and 1914 . the haircut of your grandfather , the slim moustache and the clean shaved face , all are details of the era .

On 3/21/2017 at 01:02, Bayern said:

The badge is not much neat in the photo and the 10th and 11 th badges were very similar in shape . of course is not the badge of the 3rd of hussars . the date of the photo is around the turn of the century or more accurately between 1905 and 1914 . the haircut of your grandfather , the slim moustache and the clean shaved face , all are details of the era .

The 10th Prince of Wales's Own Hussars badge featured the PoW's emblem of the three feathers over the motto "ich dien' and the regimental title, while the 11th  Prince Albert's On Hussars badge featured the crest of the Prince Consort, "a pillar charged with the arms of Saxony rising out of the ducal coronet and also crowned with a similar coronet out of which rise 5 peacock feathers with the motto TREU UND FEST meaning 'Faithful and Strong'."  I would say the collar badge in the OP photograph clearly shows  the latter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do have his service number and have got access to his service records. Served from 1912-1934 long service record. His first stint says he was in the 3rd Hussars left that regiment re-inlisted at onset of WW1 and joined the Tank Corp till finish. Is it possible service records did not mention all units. Perhaps!.

Hi. Just found this other page of my Grandfathers service report if anyone could decypher the Regiment and listing dates. If i'm reading this correctly he did serve in the 11th Hussars. The other report only states 3rd Hussars and Royal Tank Corp. Thanks for help in advance. Pete..

tmp_7704-George F Service12368861.jpg