News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Minenwerfer colors and markings - LWM

What colors were the light minenwerfer rounds painted as well as the different color bands and letter markings? I have seen restorations in various shades of grey or unpainted but are there any original examples or documentation that support this and specify the meaning? 

Thanks,

Steve

I can only comment about the Nachrichten round, which I have an example of. The body of the round is painted feldgrau with four blue letter "N"s painted around it.

Chip

I found one of my books "Artillerie Allemande - Les Projectiles", which has colored plates for most of the identified projectiles. Here is what they have on light Minenwerfer rounds.

1. Leichte Sprengmine (alter Art) - All gray body.

2. 1.Sprengmine M.16 (Lotte oder Erna) - Gray body with three black bands, red stencil "Lotte" or "Erna".

3. 1.Sprengmine M.16a (Anna) - same as above, but with red stencil "Anna".

Chip

I have seen a lot of black and white pictures with the three black bands. I'm wondering what they designate. I would have assumed that there are either a varying number of bands or different colors if there are typically three to designate information about each round.

Most pictures appear to be either unpainted or light gray. Field gray certainly makes sense since that was what was used for equipment.

I'm surprised there is not more information on these rounds. I have a fair amount of documentation but I am not great at translating from script (before translating to English) so it takes me a lot of time. For the most part the documentation I have does not have any illustrations for these rounds so I don't think I am overlooking too much. I'd like to find the document you mention above.

Thanks,

Steve