News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Medal group of 4

As an Imperial German collector, I often turn up other material while on the hunt. Mostly "stuff" but every once in a while I find something nice. I purchased this group from an Estate Sale owner. He had a few items I purchased but this is the nicest.

MM - 303241 PTE H.A. DALY 1/2 HIGH:F.A.R.A.M.C-T.F.

14/15 star - 1758. PTE H.A.DALY R.A.M.C

BWM - 1758. PTE H.DALY R.A.M.C

VIC, - 1758. PTE H.DALY R.A.M.C

I have done some research on this and see he is Scottish in the 1/2 Highland Field Ambulance and the MM was after the 1917 renumbering. What I don't understand was that a Territorial Force soldier got a MM in France. I though T.F. people stayed at home in the UK? Did he volunteer to go over or is my assumption on T.F. incorrect? Also, in general are these medical groups considered more desirable or less desirable than combatant groups? Can a citation be found for the MM?

This was really a surprise find for me and I am enjoying it. Still wish the Germans would have named their medals.

IMG_0568.JPG

MMcard - Copy.jpg

lg - Copy.jpg

Very nice group of medals you have there.

As you are probably aware he landed overseas on 1st May 1915 and served until Demobilization to Class Z of the Army Reserve on 8th June 1919.

It is difficult to talk about relative values between Gallantry Groups and Regiments. A lot will depend on the action itself, where it took place, who else was involved etc, etc. And obviously a Regimental Collector will pay more for that elusive group than a General Collector.

Can't find his Service Record on line at the moment but will keep digging and update you with any findings.

A superb find and hope it doesn't tempt you too much into British Medals!:D

Regards Simon

What a lovely group!  I actually belong to a group which portrays/re-enacts the Canadian AMC, so it is of special interest to me.

You asked about the staus of 'terriers' in WWI.  I know very little about it but the excellent site 'The Long, Long Trail' says this:

The recruitment of men into TF units was very localised and remained so well into 1916.

The TF was mobilised for full-time war service immediately war was declared 

When TF troops agreed to overseas service, they signed the "Imperial Service Obligation".

They were then issued with a special badge, known as the "Imperial Service Brooch", to be worn on their right breast. If you have a photo of a soldier wearing this badge, he is definitely a Territorial.

Many TF units also issued distinctive insignia, notably the "Shoulder title", a brass badge carrying the name of the unit worn on the shoulder. Here is an example. The badge of the 4th Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders, a Territorial infantry unit. The T and the general arrangement of this title is typical.

When war was declared, all TF troops received orders to mobilise. Many of them had just gone onto the annual fortnight's training camp and were hurriedly recalled to the home base. Most TF units had a pre-arranged war station and the units moved quickly to take up their allotted places. Some were sent to garrison duties at various points around the Empire, replacing the regular units that were required for service in France. 

On 15 August 1914 orders were issued to separate the "home service" men from those who had undertaken to serve overseas, with the intention of forming reserves made up of those who had not so volunteered. Those men that did not agree were separated out into "Home Service" or "Second Line" units. The original units now became known as the "Foreign Service" or "First Line". These terms are often seen on TF men's service records.

http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm

Edited by peter monahan