News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Military College Mess Jacket?

Hello, have looked, and can find no information on this jacket, cumberbund and pillbox hat. There is also a square (2 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 foot) silk piece. It is dark blue with light blue and gold stripes. Epaulette buttons and lapel insignia have been removed. The owner's name,  A F Powell is on the jacket. I think it is from a British Military College. Your input would be appreciated. 

100_5317 (708x800).jpg

Frosty,

Can't really help much other than to say that the jacket follows the basic cut and design of  Mess Dress but being made from what appears to be white light weight material would have been worn in hot climate postings such as Cyprus or Hong Kong. The epaulettes are unusual though, pretty sure that most Mess Dress uniforms do not have these and so could even be a jacket with no Military connection, House Staff, Doormen or something like that. Is there a Tailors Label inside?

Regarding the other items, they may have a connection to a Public School somewhere but you would have to search and find out which School wore those colours.

Sorry couldn't be of much help.

Regards Simon.

Thanks for taking a look Simon and Hugh. Pillbox maker was J G Plumb, Military Tailors, 117 Victoria St; Westminister. Coat is made of a canvas type material. Again , thanks   Don

The two mess jackets I own both have shoulder straps fitted, other than that I cannot add anything to the discussion.  Perhaps a school army cadet uniform rather than military college.

I also have a unknown pillbox perhaps form a similar source or maybe a band in the case of the one I have.

My only contribution is to suggest that perhaps the square is meant for an ascot.  The use of canvas is odd and suggests, to me a s well, a warmer climate than the UK.  The colour scheme is also a bit 'loud', IMO.  A school of some sort but perhaps not a service institution would be my guess. 

Hello Jerry and Peter, an ascot was what I was also thinking, and yes, it does seem gaudy for a military college. It came with other militaria stuff, so thought it was worth looking into. Thanks for your comments.  Don

• 2 weeks later...