News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Al Merito En Campana

J Temple-West

Panzerpionier,

Thank you for this valuable information and the correct name of the author. The book is in super condition and very heavy, leather covered. It is a work of art and collectible as well.

:P

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like these badges - I hope there are more out there that want to show theirs (fronts & backs please :D ).

Question: It seems all of the combatant badges have the small "bar" at the top just below the crown. Some have an aditional bar at the bottom, just above the castle turret. What do these signify?

Thanks.

Scott

My comments:

-J Temple-West's War Cross is a very nice one. Surely it was made post-1939 (Madrid was in republican hands until the end of the SCW) for a Spanish soldier that got TWO crosses... therefore the additional plate. Note that AFAIK no German soldier received more than one War Cross for SCW service. On the other hand, plates showing additional awardings of the War Cross were introduced in 1940 - the medal could be a post-1940 item or it was "retrofitted" with the plate.

-About pensioned crosses: Some Spanish award had two classes: honour award and pensioned award. Pensioned awards were a higher class and included a "pension" or bonus to the soldier salary, and had some distinctive features showing their higher status. The pensioned (white bars) Red Military Merit breast star posted is a post-1939 item and was not awarded to LC personnel.

-The White Aeronautical Merit breast star sold in Ebay is a post-1945 item and was never awarded to LC personnel.

Best regards

Edited by Panzerpionier

A few more questions if you please:

- When did the regulations change the wear of these from the left side to the right side of the German uniform?

- Were these authorized for wear by Germans through the end of the war (i.e., May 45)?

- Does anyone have a photo of someone wearing one of these, and a Spanish Cross, and a German Cross, all on the right side of the uniform? Did regulations allow it?

Thank you.

Scott

Edited by Scott

A few more questions if you please:

- When did the regulations change the wear of these from the left side to the right side of the German uniform?

- Were these authorized for wear by Germans through the end of the war (i.e., May 45)?

- Does anyone have a photo of someone wearing one of these, and a Spanish Cross, and a German Cross, all on the right side of the uniform? Did regulations allow it?

Thank you.

Scott

- This decoration was authorized by german regulations as soon as their return to germany. a page from the magazin "Deutsche Kriegsopferversorgung" dated juli 1939 is showing the spanish decorations. Later, the recipients received at home the original document with a list from the Reichsluftministerium. these decorations were authorized up to the end of the war but also after (Bundeswehr).

- the spanish "cruz de guerra" might be worn on the left side. it is the same regulation in Spain. I know just few pics showing it on the wrong side, but I think it is a mistake and not a regulation.

Hope this help you

jacques

Correct me please, but is this the correct crown associated with SCW-period badges? (best pic I gould get - I had to scale the picture way down to meet posting criteria).

Thanks.

Scott

Edited by Scott

:o Here's the whole badge I might have a chance at... I just want to be certain it's a Spanish Civil War period badge.

Scott

Hi Scott,

this is the very type of cross which has been awarded to the members of the LC during the Spanish parades, just before their return to Germany.

jacques

Jacques & Panzerpioner, thank you for your help confirming this badge for me. This badge should be arriving next week! :beer:

Scott

Does the cross come with its original case ?

I think your cross is an "Ega?a" production.

jacques