News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Al Merito En Campana

J Temple-West

Well it finally arrived. Yes, from what I've seen posted elsewhere, it's in the original box. Unfortunately, someone has scrached out the Egana mark on the interior lid. Otherwise, I'm very pleased :beer:

Scott

Edited by Scott

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Here is a worn and modified piece, not as nice as Scott's minty one, but it might have a few more stories to tell. ;)

The hinge and catch were ground off and a screw post soldered on.

Alan

Edited by spectre

Hi Scott, interesting exercise, going by the general guidelines in Bender's Legion Condor book, those awarded this badge were also given the SC in gold. The count on the WA site is 1126 SC in gold awarded. Throw in the 28 diamond winners and that's 1154.

I have also seen in some collection displays that those KIA in Spain had the SC in gold presented to the next of kin. Since that seems reasonable, subtract the 315 KIA and that leaves 839 with the Merito en Campana. With 26116 SC's awarded in all 6 grades, there would be a little over 3% with this badge. Of course if it was given to the next of kin of the ones killed the % would go up a little, I don't know if it was or not.

But at the same time, looking at some of the pictures Jacques has of the SC being worn and at least two of those show white military service crosses on medal bars (which I would think they should have a silver SC without swords), they clearly have a cross with swords!! So with all of this, my little number crunching could go right out the window! :rolleyes:

Alan (stuck on a boring conference call)

Hi Scott, interesting exercise, going by the general guidelines in Bender's Legion Condor book, those awarded this badge were also given the SC in gold. The count on the WA site is 1126 SC in gold awarded. Throw in the 28 diamond winners and that's 1154.

I have also seen in some collection displays that those KIA in Spain had the SC in gold presented to the next of kin. Since that seems reasonable, subtract the 315 KIA and that leaves 839 with the Merito en Campana. With 26116 SC's awarded in all 6 grades, there would be a little over 3% with this badge. Of course if it was given to the next of kin of the ones killed the % would go up a little, I don't know if it was or not.

But at the same time, looking at some of the pictures Jacques has of the SC being worn and at least two of those show white military service crosses on medal bars (which I would think they should have a silver SC without swords), they clearly have a cross with swords!! So with all of this, my little number crunching could go right out the window! :rolleyes:

Alan (stuck on a boring conference call)

IMHO, Bender's theory about correspondence between German awards and Spanish awards is WRONG.

These are the figures I have (Source: "La Ayuda Alemana a Espa?a 1936-1939". R. Hidalgo Salazar. Editorial San Martin. Madrid, 1975. ISBN 84-7140-103-7. Pages 225-226.):

Spanish Military Merit Order medals (WHITE) awarded to LC members:

Gran Cruz (Great Cross): 3

Cruz de 3? clase (3rd class cross): 5

Cruz de 2? clase (2nd class cross): 42

Cruz de 1? clase (2nd class cross): 1234

Other Spanish decorations awarded to LC members:

Medalla Militar Individual (Military Medal, individual): 60

Cruz de Guerra (War Cross): 986

Cruz Roja del M?rito Militar (Military Merit Red Cross): 5600

Medalla de la Campa?a (Campaign Medal): 14982

Medalla de Sufrimientos por la Patria (Medal for Sufferings for the Country - Wound Medal): 206

Unfortunately, those figures are incomplete: There are more than 60 recipients of the Military Medal, and I think most of those 14982 recipients of the Campaign medal received another medal too.

Best regards

IMHO, Bender's theory about correspondence between German awards and Spanish awards is WRONG.

These are the figures I have (Source: "La Ayuda Alemana a Espa?a 1936-1939". R. Hidalgo Salazar. Editorial San Martin. Madrid, 1975. ISBN 84-7140-103-7. Pages 225-226.):

Spanish Military Merit Order medals (WHITE) awarded to LC members:

Gran Cruz (Great Cross): 3

Cruz de 3? clase (3rd class cross): 5

Cruz de 2? clase (2nd class cross): 42

Cruz de 1? clase (2nd class cross): 1234

Other Spanish decorations awarded to LC members:

Medalla Militar Individual (Military Medal, individual): 60

Cruz de Guerra (War Cross): 986

Cruz Roja del M?rito Militar (Military Merit Red Cross): 5600

Medalla de la Campa?a (Campaign Medal): 14982

Medalla de Sufrimientos por la Patria (Medal for Sufferings for the Country - Wound Medal): 206

Unfortunately, those figures are incomplete: There are more than 60 recipients of the Military Medal, and I think most of those 14982 recipients of the Campaign medal received another medal too.

Best regards

Hi Panzerpionier

I updated your "medalla militar" list and have around 92 names.

Do you know a list of the recipients for the "sufrimientos por la patria" medal?

jacques

• 1 month later...

These are TWO different awards

This is a CRUZ DE GUERRA, PARA JEFES (War Cross for Chiefs)

Created by Law of 14.3.1942 (Reglamento de Recompensas del Ej?rcito en tiempo de guerra) Wartime Awards Regulation for the Army

Really this plaque for the owner get the cross a second time. The have two small plates on the arms for engraving the date of award

For chiefs the plaque is of oxidized silver and the laurel and sword in bright gilt

For officers and NCOs he plaque is of bronze and the laurel and sword in bright gilt

Also exist the same WITH PALMES. The blue circle with the inscription AL MERITO EN CAMPA?A changes to red circle and the same inscription

The plaque add two gilt palmes over the laurel and swords

Please see http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medall...xto/cguerra.htm

The other is a GRAN CRUZ ROJA DEL M?RITO MILITAR, PENSIONADA

Created for royal decree by 3.8.1864. The red division is for wartime). This model is regulated by Decree 192/1937 by 21.1.1937 and Law of 14.3.1942

Please see http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/omm.htm

The gilt plaque and the crown over the arm, denotes this grade. The white bars on the arms are the indicative of the pensionated condition

For the identification of the different periods, coat of arms and crowns please see http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medall.../estudioomm.htm