News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenant Ralph Shaw DSO

Killed in Action 28th April 1917 aged 20, Lieutenant Ralph Shaw DSO, 11th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Son of W W E & Lucy A Shaw of Handsworth Wood, Birmingham.
    Has no known grave and is remembered on the Arras Memorial. The 11th Bn fought at the Battle of Arleux which was part of the Battle of Arras.
    This original picture of him I bought from a car boot a few years ago. I was told his medals including the DSO were at the Fusiliers museum in Warwick but when I enquired the museum replied they had no knowledge of this and in such an offensive manner and there's me thinking of donating the picture to the museum...their loss.  
    Frame is pewter over wood with details on the rear and original Warwickshire badge. Size is 15" x 12".
    London Gazette dated 18th July 1917 which suggests a posthumous award for the DSO, "2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) Ralph Shaw, R. War. R., Spec. Res. For conspicuous gallantry and ability in action. When all the senior officers of the brigade had become casualties he assumed charge of the whole line, and showed great courage and judgment under very heavy fire in organising the consolidation".

P4140004 (2).JPG

Edited by muckaroon1960