News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Knight cross with X of the Crown Order of Wurttemberg

Hi Andreas

I have found one Prussian Major with

EK2, HHO3X, BZ3aX, BMVO4XKr, Sa3aX, RAO4 : Major Albert Frhr von Coburg

and Two others Majors with

EK2, HHO3X, BZ3aX, BMVO4XKr, Sa3aXKr, RAO4 : Major Paul Helfritz and Major Viktor Keller.

I know no list of the WK3X so I can't find the exact name, sorry

Christophe

Hello friends.

The Military Order of Merit was theoretically the main military decoration of the Kingdom of Württemberg. And, after her, the Order of the Crown and the Friedrich Order.

But if we look at the numbers, we see that between 1914 and 1918 the Order of the Crown was much more exclusive and was granted in much smaller quantities than the Military Merit Order. In fact, Military Merit Order seems to be a relatively common decoration, if we compare it with Prussian Pour le Merite, Saxon Saint Heinrich, Bavarian Max-Joseph or Friedrich Carl Order from Baden.

So, my question is: what was hierarchically the first military decoration in the Württemberg system? The Order of the Crown or the  Military Merit Order?

Thanks for any help or answer.

Hello All,

According to Neal O'Conner (Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany, Volume IV, pg16.) their is no formal order of precedence for civilian even though the Crown Order was worn in practice ahead of the Military Merit Order. To confuse the lack of published guidance a 1905 inquiry to the order chancellor states the Military Merit Order was worn in front of the Crown Order with Swords on the Orders Schnalle for officers.

Interesting??

Chuck