News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bengal Assam Clasp on Sainya Seva Medal and other service

David Vivian

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this South Asia section of this forum.

My question is: what are the qualifying dates for the Sainya Seva medal with clasp 'Bengal Assam'?

Would some one with this medal and clasp who went on to service in the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War also be entitled to the 1965 Raksha medal?

Regards,

David

Quoting from Ed Haynes / Rana Chhina's book, p. 117: " 1048-104 Bengal-Assam - Instituted by MoD Notification No. 1398 dated 22 June 1960: amended by MoD Notification 1913 of 23 June 1967 (to amend the qualifying areas).  

Awarded (a) for an aggregate of one year of service in specified areas on West Bengal and Assam after 26 October 1962; (b) for ten sorties or forty hours of flying over specified areas of West Bengal and Assam after 26 October 1962.  The clasp is unornamented."

Further on p. 113: "Raksha Medal 1965...Awarded for general service in the 1965 Indo-Pakistani conflict.  Established: By No. 14-Pres./67 of 26 January 1967. Amended by No. 51-Pres./68 f 22 July 1968 and by No. 73-Pres./71 of 14 December 1971...

Background:Awarded for service in the 1965 conflict with Pakistan.  The medal was awarded to any armed forces personnel, paramilitary forces under military command (including police forces in many cases) who were borne on the effective strength of their unit on 5 August 1965 and who had, as of that date, served for at least 180 days.  The medal was also awarded to anyone who qualified for the Samar Seva Star (1038)."  

Thus, from the language of the book, there is no obvious connection between either the Bengal Assam clasp, the Samar Seva medal or the Raksha 1965 medal with service in the 1971 war.  Still, it would be interesting to read the 1971 amendments to Bengal-Assam and Raksha to see if something emerges there.  

Given the short period of time between the two wars, there were many military personnel who qualified for awards for both wars, and I have seen many officers wearing both (all) of them.  

Perhaps you were thinking of the connection between the Samar Seva and Raksha 1965 medals?

Best,

Hugh

2 hours ago, David Vivian said:

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this South Asia section of this forum.

My question is: what are the qualifying dates for the Sainya Seva medal with clasp 'Bengal Assam'?

Would some one with this medal and clasp who went on to service in the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War also be entitled to the 1965 Raksha medal?

Regards,

David

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I've seen a medal group on line that has the Sainya Seva with 'Bengal Assam' clasp and 1971 service medals. The group had no Raksha medal, so I was wondering if it is likely to be a broken group. It would be a shame as it is a lovely group of five.

Regards,

David

P.S. sorry about the messy way I have replied as I haven't been on this site for quite a while it will take me a bit of time to get use to using it again.

Edited by David Vivian

First, I am far, FAR from an authority on Indian medal entitlements.  For that, you might want to consult Ed Haynes at sagongs.  He wrote the book.  He's also found on the OMSA website.  

However, I'll try to help if I can.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you would list the entire group, maybe even include a photo if available.  

On the face of it, with minimal information, I see no reason why the group might not be complete.  I would expect it to include the Sangram Medal for '71 service, as it was automatically awarded with either the Poorvi or the Paschimi Stars (service in the eastern and western theaters respectively).  Without the Raksha Medal, this man probably did not serve in the '65 war.  

Hello Hugh,

Thanks for he suggestion about sagongs.

Sorry I haven't listed more details

The group is to a Rifleman in the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles.

It consists of:

1. Sainya Seva medal with clasp 'Bengal Assam"

2.Paschmi Star

3.Sangram Medal

4.25 Year Independence Medal

5.9 Year Long Service Medal

The group is on ebay. Have a look it seems a very nice group. I'm just a bit wary of groups  that might have missing medals.

Regards,

David

J & K Rifles is certainly a good regiment, and the medals listed make a logical group.  Interesting that his '71 war service was in the western theater (close to J & K), but he also got over to the east for the Bengal Assam clasp.  Good luck with it.  

Best,

Hugh 

Edited by Hugh