News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British War Medal 1939 -1945 help needed

Hello guys!

I am new to this forum, does anyone know where I can find info regarding the names on British War Medal?

The rim is marked "100060 SPR..F.R.HILL. R.E."   Does RE stand for Royal Engineers?

And then I have a Pacific Star marked "VX 144929 A.R. JONES." Supposedly from Australia or New Zealand?

Any input appriciated =)

Hello Peppe864,

RE does indeed stand for Royal Engineers and the relevant Medal Roll for the 1914-15 Star shows that your Man was entitled to this Medal with a Date of Disembarkation of 18th November 1915 and a Transfer to Class Z Reserve (Basically demobbed) on 4th March 1919.

He would therefore also be entitled to the British War Medal which you have and the Victory Medal.

Will have a dig round and see if I can locate his Medal Index Card for you.

Regarding the Australian issued medal, this was awarded to Alfred Raymond Jones who served with 29/46th Australian Infantry Battalion who died from illness on 23rd December 1943 in New Guinea, He is buried in Lae War Cemetery, Lae, Morobe Province, New Guinea,

You should be able to find his Service record here https://www.awm.gov.au/research/infosheets/service-records/

The CWGC site shows Him as the Son of William and Mabel Beatrice Jones of Collingwood, Victoria. He was aged 23 at time of death,

Link here http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2168008/JONES, ALFRED RAYMOND

Hope this helps and all the best Simon

Hello Peppe.......

Here is his information from FMP......

First name(s) Fuller Roberts
    Last name Hill
    Age 30
    Birth year -
    Service number 100060
    Regiment Royal Engineers
    Unit / Battalion 226th, 517th Field Company
    Year 1915
    Residence county London
    Residence country England

His service files are on line in FMP......

Mike

Hello Peppe864,

The VX prefix on the Pacific Star also denotes a Victorian enlistment (hence the V) in the Australian Imperial Force A.I.F. (hence the X). 

Hope this is some help.

Regards,

David

Edited by David Vivian