News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of St Alexander

Hi,

Does anybody know what era the St Alexander Orders shown in the photo is from?

I assume the St. Alexander Orders that have the swords above the medal are older than those St Alexander Orders that have the swords piercing the center of the medal.  Is this correct.

Does anybody know of a particular thread that deals with the St. Alexander variants?  I want to learn more, but I hate to fork out a fortune for Pavlov's book.

Bulg.jpg

Camelneck--Information available in Prof Pavlov's book [Bulgarian/English language edition] will repay your cost many times over, even at $160 delivered [e.ay now].  You may sometimes find used copies [Bulgarian language but with English image captions] via Alibris, Amazon & similar sites for as little as $60 and Bulgarian/English language editions as cheap as $80.  

I second what 922F said - get Pavlov's book!

You are talking about couple hundred dollars - which is the cost of a single common low class award - and it will teach you a lot about collecting and will show you all details on variations/types.

Edited by new world

Hi Camelneck,

There is a book  for sale on Ebay  $159.90 or make an offer - free delivery

The seller is 357-art from Bulgaria

Good Luck

Book " BULGARIAN ORDERS AND MEDALS " prof. Pavlov Lux Catalogue

In regards to Pavlov's book, I think you guys have made your point.  :)   I've been keeping my eye on Ebay hoping to find one, but I didn't realize that $160 was considered a bargain. :)  However, I'm sure it will pay off rather quickly.  I wish he would come up with a version that dealt with the Kingdom of Bulgaria exclusively.  I could care less about the Communist period and thereafter and I bet that takes up 40% of the book.  Nevertheless, it will probably be one of my next purchases.

BTW, I finally found a really good website on Kingdom era Bulgarian Awards.  It is by far the best single source of information on Bulgarian Awards that I've found so far on the Internet.  Here is the web link:

http://bulgariandecorations.com/

It gives fairly good background info on all of the major Bulgarian Awards and their associated ribbons.  It includes photos of each class and most grades of the various orders.   It also gives hierarchical information on the various awards.  This includes a list showing the order that they should appear on medal bars as well as several nice, all-Bulgarian Medal Bars.  I was surprised to learn that the Soldier's Cross of Bravery (any of the 4 grades) should appear on a medal bar before a Class 4 Order of Alexander or a Class 4 Order of Military Merit. 

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this wonderful website when I was asking about the Order of Merit and the various Medals of Merit (although Graf provided a thread of really good information on these medals.  Thanks again, Graf). 

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible for someone to post in here a couple of sample pages from this book please? I cannot decide whether it`s worth buying it, considering I am not fluent in German. 

Hi Igor,

There is a similar book on Bravery Order by

Uwe Bretzendorfer

I have this book.I was lucky that Uwe sold me the very last copy he had

i am not sure whether he will re- publish it again

Uwe does not have any more copies at this stage

It looks like the Bulgarian Bravery Order is quite popular in Germany due to the fact that many Germans s were awarded

It is very nice book He has a little bit different classification of the Bravery Order from those ones of the Bulgarian authors. He himself is a eager collector of Bulgarian Orders

I will post the front cover in the next 1-2 days

Graf

6 hours ago, Graf said:

...I have this book.I was lucky that Uwe sold me the very last copy he had

i am not sure whether he will re- publish it again

Uwe does not have any more copies at this stage

It looks like the Bulgarian Bravery Order is quite popular in Germany due to the fact that many Germans s were awarded...

lucky you!

I am looking to get this book, but never saw it for sale.

Edited by new world

On 15.07.2017 г. at 00:46, ilieff said:

Would it be possible for someone to post in here a couple of sample pages from this book please? I cannot decide whether it`s worth buying it, considering I am not fluent in German. 

Hi,the book is worth the price! There are many details that are not available anywhere else!

IMG_20170718_111200.jpg

IMG_20170718_111217.jpg

IMG_20170718_111227.jpg

IMG_20170718_111241.jpg

IMG_20170718_111316.jpg

IMG_20170718_111251.jpg

IMG_20170718_111334.jpg

Thank you for the scans, Petar.

Igor, information about Battenberg period awards (in general) is next to zero. I doubt that any of the current books can provide you with a detailed knowledge in this regard.

2 hours ago, Igor Ostapenko said:

No, very expencive :( 

( I need information about Battenberg period awards and in all books minimum information about this period ... ) 

Very expensive?!

Almost any Battenberg period award will cost you more than the price of this book...

Prof. Pavlov's book is too overrated.

Its price has been high since it's launch in 2002/2003 and I am sure such high price has been artificially maintained (one way or another). Do not forget that Pavlov is a professor in Economics and [should] knows how to sell his stuff.

2 minutes ago, ilieff said:

Pavlov is a professor in Economics and [should] knows how to sell his stuff.

prof. Pavlov not sell this book on eBay for $180. 

Some seller from Bulgaria want this price. 

In Bulgaria you can pay for this book for 170-200 Bulgarian Levs - 105-120 US$ . 

Professor of Economics can make sate and can sell book to collectors for good price ( and with autographe :) )

15 hours ago, ilieff said:

Prof. Pavlov's book is too overrated.

Its price has been high since it's launch in 2002/2003 and I am sure such high price has been artificially maintained (one way or another). Do not forget that Pavlov is a professor in Economics and [should] knows how to sell his stuff.

I have different opinion. To me this book (2002 edition) has been invaluable reference and helped me numerous times since I got my first copy 15 years ago. The amount of knowledge I learned from this book is priceless. Just the classification system Prof Pavlov uses in his book is worth the price alone. I paid over $100 when it came out and this was the best $100 I ever spent in collecting field!

Is the book perfect? No, it's not. I would like to see certain aspects of it improved and mistakes corrected. However, the truth is - this is the best reference on Bulgarian awards out there. No other book comes close.

If you collect awards - you will be spending thousands of dollars on the hobby and you MUST invest in quality reference books.

If I were starting today I would not hesitate to spend $100+ they ask for the book.