News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Basic question about danish recipient of foreign medals

Hi Gents,

is it possible to assign a recipient by the composition of foreign medals?

In germany there is a court and state manual, does something similar exist in Denmark?

Every help appreciated.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Well, kind of...

There are state and court calendars which list awards to Danish recipients, but ONLY if they were awarded a class of the Order of Dannebrog (that was the criteria for being listed in the calendar).

Same goes for those volumes that compiled lists and small biographies of Dannebrog recipients, that appeared in 1903 (amended in 1906/08), 1950, 1954, 1960 and 1970. The one published in 1929 only had the short bios, not a list of awards.

If you PM me the composition of awards, I have a little Excel program that can look it up in those volumes (no, it is not a standalone program, it just references page nos. in those volumes) and can try to make a search. The more unique the composition, the more likely a hit, of course...

/Michael

My first thought was that - since there was no Dannebrog on the bar - he was not listed in those books. I did double check however, because I have seen people wear a Dannebrog Commander (full size) around the neck and their remaining foreign decorations as miniatures.

But no luck. There was 1 hit, but he was awarded a lot of other decorations (incl. Danish ones) that would definitely be found on his miniature bar.

However, all hope is not lost...

There IS another source of Danes with decorations - the "Kraks Blaa Bog" (an annual Who is Who of Danes). People listed in those books don't have to be Dannebrog recipients (although most of them are), just need to be found 'worthy' of being listed.
    Unfortunately it does not always list which classes of the orders are awarded.

Now, my program also searches a single volume of this book, the 1922 edition.

There was a single hit!

This guy was awarded the 3 decorations shown and nothing else:

Alexander Svedstrup (1864-1930). Writer.

Now, this is not a 100% guarantee that this is your guy. I have no way of checking which classes he received of those orders and there could in theory be other recipients.

/Michael

P.S: The Thai Order of the Crown is the pre-1948 type, so it fits the bill...

Edited by Great Dane

Thanks a lot Michael, much appreciated. :thumbup: :beer: :jumping:

In the internet one finds much about this person, but unfortunately no photo

where he carries his medals, that would undoubtedly remove my last doubt.

The awards fit very well to his resume.

A very satisfied :D

Andreas