News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colonial Police Officer's Service Records.

I worked somewhat closely with the Jamaica Constabulary Force and Commissioner Ricketts from 1986-9.  JCF's National HQ [address:  101-103 Old Hope Road, Kingston 6] had almost complete personnel records from about 1870 until Hurricane Gilbert [1988].  Before Gilbert, some materials, especially including those from the 1880's. 1890's and 1920's, were missing or damaged.  Very likely Gilbert ruined additional items.  I left Jamaica in 1989 and do not know the current state of JCF records or access rules.   As might be expected, customary Commonwealth time period/privacy embargos on personnel records prohibit release of certain materials.  

It may be that copies of records exist in British  Foreign & Commonwealth Office holdings.

George F. Quallo [I do not know him] is the current JCF commissioner.  A Deputy Commissioner responsible for public information position exists if the JCF organization retains the same structure as in the '80's.  Likely, an on-line search will reveal email points of contact but a snail mail inquiry may obtain better results.  

I've no idea whether 'historical' police personnel records remain in Kampala archives.  A late 1990's visit there suggested that various regime changes resulted in destruction of many old records.  FCO may be a viable option for these.   Some African countries have 'old boy' uniformed services organizations which may offer another research option.

You might try contacting the Ugandan Embassy as well, to enquire whether or not those records are available in country if kew doesn't have them.  I know that, for Inida, the records stayed in country and are, sadly, almost inaccessible, but perhaps you'll get lucky!  Good luck in the hunt.