Guest Darrell

Very nice gordon thanks for showing ! :love:

Anybody got a nice lappland ?

I do ;)

Cheers Darrell,

Is it true that the lappland was never officially sanctioned as a 1957 but a company making the shields ( i presume it was S & L ) made this anyway ?

Cheers Darrell,

Is it true that the lappland was never officially sanctioned as a 1957 but a company making the shields ( i presume it was S & L ) made this anyway ?

Grant, I believe you are correct.

Unfortunately the manufacturers of "57" awards were a bit over enthusiastic in what they produced, even including "57" awards which never existed in wartime ( i.e. the U-Boot Frontspange in Gold etc)

Hello Gordon

These are very nice examples. Thanks for showing them. It is it possible to tell early shields from later or even 'collectors produced' items ?

Grant, I believe you are correct.

Unfortunately the manufacturers of "57" awards were a bit over enthusiastic in what they produced, even including "57" awards which never existed in wartime ( i.e. the U-Boot Frontspange in Gold etc)

Ah so that would account for the other oddities like the luft sea battle badge and the 200 class panzer , general assault and ground combat badges !

Hello Gordon

These are very nice examples. Thanks for showing them. It is it possible to tell early shields from later or even 'collectors produced' items ?

Hi Dave ,

i hope you and Gordon don't mind me butting in on this but having seen a few shields is that you can only really go off the finish , the early cholm has a frosted finish to it and is almost matt where as the later one,s are just silver . Regarding the Krim and kuban the nice early one,s are a lovely chocolate brown colour and the later one,s are almost copper in colour . If i remember rightly their is not much difference round the back regarding the pins and their position etc .

Cheers

Grant

The quality issue is the same on these shields as on other 57er's, the finish is better on earlier pieces, I have what I believe to be an early "Krim" shield with a an "antiqued finish" and four pins on a blackened rear.....also these shields are generally two thirds the size of their TR counterparts, and never came with any form of backing plate or uniform cloth ! infact they were only authorised for wear in the Bundeswehr on a ribbon bar...here is mine.....

Prost ! Steve.

Edited by SteveL

Interesting, but they look too naked. (except the Cholm)

Pete