News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arisaka Bayonet Display

zook

Hello - fellow forum guys .... well, I'll add some noise to the dormancy :)  ....

I recently contacted a collector/woodworker named Skip Greenwade (he has a nice website) and provided a rough sketch of an Arisaka bayonet display stand.   He crafted this in about 2 weeks.  This photo is just before I mounted it to the wall.   The felt is khaki colored and the slots are magnetic, so the bayonets remain in place rather security!   I am very pleased with this work and his price is tremendously reasonable.     Just sharing ...as I am very pleased with the outcome.   Dan 

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

Zook.

Nice display, have only ever owned one Arisaka bayonet and that had been played with by a young lad who had painted the scabbard gold! Managed to remove the paint and traded it years ago for something else I wanted.

Do you collect from different Manufacturers? I also thought that they all had the curved quillion but see from your display that most are straight, was this a late War practice or a different Model?

Sorry for all the questions.:D 

Simon

Simon - There were 12 different type 30 bayonet manufacturers and in "my book" about 6 major variants, however ... you can find 30 variations if you go by Raymond Labar's superb book (Bayonets of Japan), which is probably THE book to own if you ever get into collecting them seriously.   The curved quillion is actually pre WW2 (1930s) manufacture.  During the war, they went to straight ....and as the war progressed, more corners were cut with respect to handle shape, blade quality, screws used, etc...    I like to collect sample small arms pieces of Imperial Japan, and since I had a few of these , I wanted a way to easily display them on the wall.     Thanks for the note!  Dan 

Dan,

Thanks for your reply, mine was the hooked quillion type but can't remember the  maker, will try to find some old photos and have a look.

Excellent collection from what can be seen in the photo by the way.

Simon

21 hours ago, zook said:

Hello - fellow forum guys .... well, I'll add some noise to the dormancy :)  ....

I recently contacted a collector/woodworker named Skip Greenwade (he has a nice website) and provided a rough sketch of an Arisaka bayonet display stand.   He crafted this in about 2 weeks.  This photo is just before I mounted it to the wall.   The felt is khaki colored and the slots are magnetic, so the bayonets remain in place rather security!   I am very pleased with this work and his price is tremendously reasonable.     Just sharing ...as I am very pleased with the outcome.   Dan 

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

Very nice rack! :)

Yes, Labar's book is the bible of Japanese bayonets for sure. 

Been awhile since I've acquired any new militaria, But I've got a collection of bayonets myself. I find it rather enjoyable to catalog them. I know it's taboo for some collectors, but whenever I get an earlier piece with screws, I always disassemble them to catalog the markings you find on the backsides of the grips panels and tang. That is, it the screws are willing to turn, I won't mung them up just to take them apart, I'm very careful....;)

• 2 weeks later...
    On 7/5/2017 at 07:11, zook said:

Yes.... awesome collection!, ... but I am also hoping my display limits or keeps my collecting addiction in check :)

I have always found ways to exceed storage and display limits.....:lol: