News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1957 ribbon bar query ?

Hello Grant

Is it possible that this person served in both the army and the airforce at some point in his career ? It is known that some service personel did move from the army to the airforce and vise versa.

#9 is a 1997 Oder Flood Medal. I have no idea what the "5" is supposed to mean. Perhaps whoever made this bar is using it as a substitute for an unofficial veteran's association medal.

Thanks for the input Dave , yes the 5 has me confused as well !

although i,m sure i,ve seen it on something before i just can't recall at the moment .

Hello Grant

Is it possible that this person served in both the army and the airforce at some point in his career ? It is known that some service personel did move from the army to the airforce and vise versa.

Hi Dave ,

Yes personnel did move from Army to Airforce and visa versa but if you won a flak in the army and transferred to the airforce and won the flak again wasn't there a rule that you could only wear the airforce one ?

It,s just that i,ve never seen a picture of a man wearing both so i,m assuming that the same would apply postwar , it,s like a para wearing the army and luftwaffe para badge,s isn't it ?

Hi Dave ,

Yes personnel did move from Army to Airforce and visa versa but if you won a flak in the army and transferred to the airforce and won the flak again wasn't there a rule that you could only wear the airforce one ?

It,s just that i,ve never seen a picture of a man wearing both so i,m assuming that the same would apply postwar , it,s like a para wearing the army and luftwaffe para badge,s isn't it ?

Hello Grant

I don't know on that one. I can't find anything in any of my books that says if you could wear both awards or not. I suppose that if someone did move between forces and won the same or similar award it would look strange to wear both of them. But whether there is actually anything that prevents it I don't know. If I can find anything on this I'll let you know.

Thanks David ,

I was hoping one of the third reich guys would be able to put us straight on this , i,m sure i,ve read somewhere that you couldn't wear duplicate awards .

It was to do with the army para guys having to hand in their badges when they became luftwaffe and getting the luftwaffe para badge , also read somewhere that a army guy with the general assault when he moved to a luftwaffe field division had to swap it for a ground assault badge .

While I have seen badges from varying services on tunics, I have never seen a "repeat" badge award. For example, I have seen Heer badges on Luftwaffe tunics. I have never seen or heard of evidence of members wearing badges for the same thing on their tunic at the same time.

Maybe this veteran was placing every badge he was ever awarded on that ribbon bar. Perhaps he was awarded the Heer Flak badge and was assigned to the LW where he would have been allowed to wear the Heer badge until he qualified for the Luftwaffe badge. Just a theory.

I agree with regard to the bar Grant has shown. The missing LS is yet another sign for fake here. But the ebay bar that the link points to is another matter, I think. This could well be the bar of a junior officer who served in the east, and got medals from Slovakia and Croatia.

I agree with regard to the bar Grant has shown. The missing LS is yet another sign for fake here. But the ebay bar that the link points to is another matter, I think. This could well be the bar of a junior officer who served in the east, and got medals from Slovakia and Croatia.

I agree ,

I posted this bar in the axis forum asking for an i.d. on a ribbon , this could have come from an officer that was an advisor to the axis force,s .

Here : http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5951

but i have to agree with the comment,s about the ribbon i originally posted above it,s smelling fishier all the time like it,s been at Grimsby dock,s .

Edited by Grant Broadhurst

I agree with Red, this should be the ribbon for the Berner Marsch in swizerland. I had one on a ribbon bar some years ago.... but I would say the KVK2 ribbon should move after EK and BVK in front of the Flak Badges and the africa medal should move in front of the Berner Marsch....

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the ribbon I.D. pity the bar is wrong !

I remember seeing this bar on ebay...it eventually sold and another ebayer has it. I have spoken with her at length and she said that it was a tailors piece to show workmanship/availability etc... not an actual piece

• 1 month later...

[attachmentid=54877]

I remember seeing this bar on ebay...it eventually sold and another ebayer has it. I have spoken with her at length and she said that it was a tailors piece to show workmanship/availability etc... not an actual piece

I agree with the post above that the bar is what could be called a "salesman's sample". Here is a picture of one from my collection. It came in a small box, the lid of which was long lost when I acquired the ribbon bar.

Cheers,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig