News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research help on tel el kebir medal

I have a tel el kebir and khedive pair that I am trying to research but struggling. Some of the details are rubbed, what I can make out is the service number starts 20 (I think) followed by Findlay Mil:M. Only one I could find was Captain Charles Findlay but wishful thinking they belonged to him. Trying to get a list of all Findlay who served to try and narrow it down.

IMG_20170704_162223.jpg

Another pic

IMG_20170704_162140.jpg

Another pic

IMG_20170704_162144.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Looks like 2026 Pte. C. Findlay of the Military Mounted Police, some of the details after the M were rubbed..........looks interesting.

Military Mounted Police makes sense.  At least two UK dealers list Egypt Medals with similar namings - 'Mil Mtd Police' and Gordon's book says there were 59 Tel-el-Kebir bars issued to 'Military Police'.  So, quite a nice find.

Here is some info. on the Corps:

From the formation of the Military Mounted Police in 1855, the military Mounted Police grew in number as well as in the scope of duties. In 1877, the Military Mounted Police became a permanent corps of the British Army. 

1887 saw the establishment of the Military Mounted Police (MMP) for service at home and abroad, and in 1882 during the Egyptian War the Military Foot Police (MFP), manned by selected cavalry non-commissioned officers with experience as regimental police, was raised for service in Egypt…  

[In the MFP the recruit] had to be of good character and have at least one good conduct badge and have 4 years' service. There were no privates in the corps, each man transferred being raised to the rank of corporal."  One might assume similar requirements for the MMP.

http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/rmp.htm#mmp

Edited by peter monahan