News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Danebrog

All officially issued insignia remain the property of the order and have to be restituted on the dead of or resignation or cancellation of the recipients. Frequent reminders have been sent out and lost insignia had to be paid for. Many awards to foreign recipients could not be recovererd, however and these can found in museums and collections.

Edited by g_deploige

Nice items :)

Inspired by the thread, here is some from my own collection. Denmark was one of the last countries in Europe to abandon the embroidered crosses/stars (as late as 1909), so most receipients hade metal stars privately made. These privately made stars are of course not obliged to be returned.

Dave,

Regarding your Officer's cross, Christian X:

The knight class was not divided into Officer and Knight until 1952, and King Christian X died in 1947. However a lot of Knight cross holders didn't like the idea of being 'pushed one step down', so they mounted a rosette on the ribbon to symbolize the former one-class Knight class :)

/Mike

Today and tomorow there is an Aktion by Andreas Thies

one of the objects (Nr 57 is an order group of Generaluitenants Johann v Ewald (1755-1813)

see photo of the beautifull group withe the order of the danenbrog

Johann v Edwald was the commander of the Kurhessischen J?ger in the Independants war of America

participated in the batlle of Philadelphia 16th of june 1777, Battle of Brandywine 11th september 1777, battle of Germantown against general Armstrong, battle by Guildford Court House, North Carolina March 1781, by the battle of Yorktown he was posted on de York Rivers by Gloucester, Virginia. (he was on the site of the British)

Edited by g_deploige

Yup, I saw that one already. Now, if only I had 45.000+ Euros... :)

One thing puzzles me with this lot:

Ewald must have received the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog after 1808, when the Grand Cross embroidered star had the new legend in the picture (before 1808 the legend was RE STI TU TOR on the four cross arms). But the reverse of the Grand Cross badge shows the cypher of Frederik IV who ruled 1699-1730! Thus when Frederik IV died, Ewald wasn't even born!

(The reverse of the badge is on another picture in the catalog).

Very strange... :)

/Mike

Here are two of my embroidered stars. Both are almost mint condition, and were probably replaced with privately made metal stars right away.

I bought the Grand Cross on the right last week, so hopefully it's in the mail... :)

/Mike

One thing puzzles me with this lot:

Ewald must have received the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog after 1808, when the Grand Cross embroidered star had the new legend in the picture (before 1808 the legend was RE STI TU TOR on the four cross arms). But the reverse of the Grand Cross badge shows the cypher of Frederik IV who ruled 1699-1730! Thus when Frederik IV died, Ewald wasn't even born!

(The reverse of the badge is on another picture in the catalog).

Very strange... :)

:blush::blush: May by he was given a cross that was returned to the chancellery with an old kings monograme !? Who knows

Edited by g_deploige

• 3 years later...