News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre-WW1: US military attaché to Paris Embassy

Trooper_D

On 11/09/2017 at 12:44, paja said:

Looks like Bentley-Mott attended the "Grandes manœuvres de l'Est" in 1901 as well.

Thanks for posting the photo and list, Paja. Interesting that Mott was still in his Blues in 1901; this would have been one of the last times he wore it officially. As he states in his memoires,

"Two years later [i.e. two years after his arrival in Paris in 1900] I was designated to attend the manœuvres in England—the first the British army had ever undertaken on a big scale. ... I was dressed in our newly-adopted ‘olive-drab’ uniform (our Q.M. Department was afraid to call it khaki; that would have sounded too English) and I wore our regulation campaign hat." [T Bentley Mott, Twenty Years as Military Attaché (Oxford University Press: New York, 1937)]

This change in uniform is confirmed by a photo from the following year's manoeuvres:

2017-09-12_MilitaryAttaches_1902.thumb.jpg.9da2c82922ba1b6f881dc17585e976ac.jpg

Source: https://archive.org/stream/scribnersmagazin34newy#page/294/mode/1up

Edited by Trooper_D

Thanks for the photo and the link.
    Although not listed, Serbian representative can be seen on the photo as well, he's on the 8th place from the left, barely visible between "France" and "Switzerland". Based on some other photos I've seen I'm pretty sure that's colonel Mihailo Živković (Михаило Живковић), future general and minister of the military in the Serbian government.

The tall German in the Ulan czapka in post #27 is Major von Hugo, appointed in February, 1901 and in post until 1905. Mott suspected that, rather than for his intelligence, the Kaiser, 

"picked him out because he was nearly seven feet tall. ... when he appeared at ceremonies with his uhlan helmet and his vast yellow breast-piece, he dominated the crowd like an Eiffel Tower. William II liked that sort of thing." *

It is fair to say that he does stand out all the photos I have seen him in, so maybe the Kaiser had a point!

*T Bentley Mott, Twenty Years as Military Attaché (Oxford University Press: New York, 1937)

Here is a rather better image of the Military Attachés of 1902.

Von Hugo dominates the centre of the group, our friend Mott is, as always, striking a jaunty pose (middle row, right), and the Serbian officer can be seen rather more clearly than in the previous image (fourth from the right).

The Chilean officer (bottom row, right) has a beard to envy - although it looks like the kind you take off before you go to bed, to my eyes :)

2017-09-15_ForeignOfficers_1902.thumb.jpg.98c2e2fe7a4b54824f5844e70e078087.jpg

Edited by Trooper_D

15 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

Here is a rather better image of the Military Attachés of 1902.

Von Hugo dominates the centre of the group, our friend Mott is, as always, striking a jaunty pose (middle row, right), and the Serbian officer can be seen rather more clearly than in the previous image (fourth from the right).

The Chilean officer (bottom row, right) has a beard to envy - although it looks like the kind you take off before you go to bed, to my eyes :)

Excellent! Thanks for uploading that post card, here's why I'm pretty sure Serbian representative is Mihailo Živaković.
    01.jpg.babc83b4c63135d13304b6897576e981.jpg

Edited by paja