News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar

VtwinVince

Need help with this medal bar, which I believe is from the 1905 war. Can anyone help with the maker of the St. George Cross? Note the number stamped at the eyelet. Also, this is not my area of collecting, so if someone could give me a rough idea on value, it would be appreciated.

rus1.jpg

rus2.jpg

rus3.jpg

rus4.jpg

Gentlemen,

I am not a collector of this material, so you're going to have to explain to me why this is no good. Are all the medals fakes? What makes them fakes? Who is producing this material? Laconic comments such as 'too bad' are completely meaningless.

34 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

Gentlemen,

I am not a collector of this material, so you're going to have to explain to me why this is no good. Are all the medals fakes? What makes them fakes? Who is producing this material? Laconic comments such as 'too bad' are completely meaningless.

Hello Vince;

When examining Imperial German medals and badges there are a few "tells" that all collectors like to use to distinguish the fakes from the genuine.  Still some items fall outside this scrutiny and are able to fool the experts.  Imperial Russian items seems to have taken this to another level.  There are so many medals that have been copied over the years and their production techniques have improved to adjust for these past "tells".  No one tell alone is sufficient to judge and now a battery of tests have to be considered when considering a piece.  Any public disclosure of these small discrepancies will only continue to educate these Fakers and they will make improvements.

My best suggestion is to closely, closely examine these medals under magnification and compare them with other, known genuine medals...and medal bars.  I think you will see the differences in finish, details and wear patterns 

Thanks for your input. In all honesty I find these Russian medals a complete minefield. I have seen worse looking items deemed original, and vice versa. I have had a good look at these, and they are die struck and show a lot of wear. I know the quality is atrocious, but this is nothing new for this material, as far as I can tell.

Hi egorka,

Thanks for those images, very useful. So if I understand you, only one font was used for these pieces? Do you think the other two medals are also fakes? It seems amazing that someone would go to the trouble of producing such fakes and then getting obvious details such as the font wrong.

Hello! Not only one font. More or less everything. You know what, I do understand it is a bit frustrating that people cannot tell you one big specific thing which is wrong. Well, maybe someone else can, but I cannot. A lot of this is expert opinion. Mine is negative. But I would be glad if you or someone else can convince me otherwise. 

F.ex. this is a fake one. Looks similar to the one here. 

image.thumb.jpg.c872a0e30c4c0f731e81868c4e0be845.jpg

These are good ones:

medal-pokhod-v-yaponiyu-r.jpg.d23fe1f1df783df11d0b014beff38fcf.jpgpt205_r.jpg.5de2c2754f26388867c39a5c554f71c1.jpg

These are good:

pt210_r7.thumb.jpg.b8edf48bf78d3b2227d884f50aff9eca.jpgpt210mm_r7.thumb.jpg.cf5fa8a5ffb14db8340c9cfcb846ad91.jpgn995r7.thumb.jpg.e429573e6bf05f5e829344b7a54e0c79.jpgpt210a_r7.thumb.jpg.73abda5749e352818bc0e72e0c2faf3e.jpg