News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scotland Yard 1940's/1950's.

My information in respect of CHRISTIE has been taken from "The Encyclopaedia of Executions" by John J. Eddleston which details every execution (and the background to the trial and conviction) carried out in the British Isles between 1900 and the last hangings in 1964 which took place on the same day and time at HMP Manchester & HMP Liverpool.  The primary sources for the information contained in the book came from Assize documents held at the Public Record Office at Kew .

CHRISTIE apparently admitted at interview murdering each of the persons whose bodies were found in his house and those buried in the garden. The only exception was a baby girl, the daughter of the man EVANS. He was particularly keen to do so as he thought that by so doing it would demonstrate clearly that he was insane; thus saving him from the hangman. These admissions by CHRISTIE, were later used as the basis of Timothy EVANS being granted a full pardon in respect of his conviction and execution for murdering his wife and daughter.

The people who CHRISTIE admitted murdering are named in the book. There is no indication that he was only charged with one murder.

Dave.    

Hi,

Obviously, everybody knew John Christie was a mass murderer but it would appear they only needed to convict him on one count of murder and that appears to be for the murder of his wife 'Ethel Christie.'

The Clerk continued : 'Members of the jury, the prisoner at the bar, John Reginald Halliday Christie, is charged with the murder of Ethel Christie on or about the 14th of December, 1952. Are you guilty or not guilty?

Christie replied, 'Not Guilty.'

SS858099 (2).JPG

SS858097 (2).JPG

5 hours ago, Alan Baird said:

Hi,

Obviously, everybody knew John Christie was a mass murderer but it would appear they only needed to convict him on one count of murder and that appears to be for the murder of his wife 'Ethel Christie.'

The Clerk continued : 'Members of the jury, the prisoner at the bar, John Reginald Halliday Christie, is charged with the murder of Ethel Christie on or about the 14th of December, 1952. Are you guilty or not guilty?

Christie replied, 'Not Guilty.'

Thanks Alan, that proves my point quite nicely. Admission of guilt is not the same as a criminal conviction. Though Christie admitted to many of the murders they only needed the one conviction to achieve the ultimate punishment and that was what was successfully achieved.

On 30/03/2019 at 12:13, Dave Wilkinson said:

My information in respect of CHRISTIE has been taken from "The Encyclopaedia of Executions" by John J. Eddleston which details every execution (and the background to the trial and conviction) carried out in the British Isles between 1900 and the last hangings in 1964 which took place on the same day and time at HMP Manchester & HMP Liverpool.  The primary sources for the information contained in the book came from Assize documents held at the Public Record Office at Kew .

Dave.    

Hi Dave, 

Have you got access to this book? I wonder would you mind confirming something for me? I'm currently working on a little research project which I intend to post on the forum in due course. But I'm just trying to clarify something, who was the executioner for Charles Wade and Joseph Potter (aka Conrad DONOVAN). In one source it gives William BILLINGTON and another Albert PIERREPOINT with William BILLINGTON assisting? 

Gordon. 

Gordon,

I'm attaching the details from the book in question which I hope is helpful. Henry Pierrepoint was Albert's relative. Albert himself does not appear on the scene as an Assistant Executioner until 1935.

Dave.

DSCF8908 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

2 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Gordon,

I'm attaching the details from the book in question which I hope is helpful. Henry Pierrepoint was Albert's relative. Albert himself does not appear on the scene as an Assistant Executioner until 1935.

Dave.

DSCF8908 (2).JPG

Many thanks Dave!!!!!