News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbian For Bravery medal, 1876

Even though most authors consider the inscription "FOR BRAVERY 1876" was on the back side I don't think that's entirely true.
    The first regulation from 1876 states so but the following one from 1878 introduces a different solution, "FOR BRAVERY" is on the front side of the medal. 
    According to regulations "FOR BRAVERY" side was the back side only for around 19 months.

• 9 months later...

This group I sold 20 years ago, now I got it back. Nothing amazing, but a nice simple group. The bravery medal is silver, but without hallmarks of any kind, yet an attactive sharp striking. Originally it came together with this document, but I actually don't know if they match, maybe someone here can confirm that this is the correct document for this medal, and if not, what it is?

/Lars

gm1.thumb.jpg.942831ded40ba8db0a3a7b5a7fc3071c.jpg

gm2.thumb.jpg.0bf53b4a351848ab538f07b20ff881f2.jpg

gm3.thumb.jpg.b03bd55e37f6ac47121e79b1f4c5275f.jpg

Most interesting, never saw a combination like that before. Prussian medal on the first place plus the fact that type of mount was extremely rare in Serbia suggest the recipient was not Serbian.

The document is actually for the Medal for Military Virtues (Медаља за војничке врлине), obviously dated 1901, but awarded for merits in the War of 1876-77. Unfortunately I can't read the name of the recipient, if I understood well he's treasurer, volunteer and former lieutenant 1st class. One more interesting detail, the document is signed by general Dragutin Franasović (Драгутин Франасовић). 

Many thanks for sharing! 

The document is actually addressed for a Medal for Military Virtues and it was awarded to a Lieutenant. It's hard to read his name since the paper is folded over it.

EDIT:

Just realized Paja had already replied a few seconds before me. :) 

Edited by BalkanCollector