Post your favorite East German DDR uniform

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attempted to win the Navy tunic off eBay but was sadly outbid. Obviously, it's quite attractive, not to mention the excellent ribbon bar. The other is an officer of police full uniform. Although it's nothing super special, the white jacket and green pants with stripe are just too neat. These are my favorites, that I've seen so far, besides the Forestry Service uniforms.

f7a6_1.JPG

2beb_1.JPG

All around, great specimens!!!! I love the Marine medical officer! Also, can you post some closeups of the civil defense uniform(purple waffenfarbe)??

All around, great specimens!!!! I love the Marine medical officer! Also, can you post some closeups of the civil defense uniform(purple waffenfarbe)??

Hi Paul,

Did you still need closeups? :unsure: I noticed you'd checked out the link I left... I'm afraid this one and the ones there are the only pics I have at the moment as I just won it today. Assuming it'll be in sometime this week. Can do more at that point if needed. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Paul,

Did you still need closeups? :unsure: I noticed you'd checked out the link I left... I'm afraid this one and the ones there are the only pics I have at the moment as I just won it today. Assuming it'll be in sometime this week. Can do more at that point if needed. :beer:

Congratulations Dan. I had my eye on it, but I knew you'd get this item. :beer:

Congratulations Dan. I had my eye on it, but I knew you'd get this item. :beer:

Thanks Scott! :beer: This was a special one... been wanting one for a long time. But I'm sure there will be another one before too long with your name on it. :D Sure wish one of us could have grabbed that Navy... but again there are more fish in the sea and I know sooner or later we'll nab another one. :jumping::jumping: That's the nice thing about all this... there's always something bigger and better. One just hopes it comes along when our wallets are full! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Paul,

I have more than one favourite uniform but this is one of the ones I like the best because it is unusual and came to me complete. It is a summer tropical uniform for a senior stewardess on Interflug. Complete down to the airport pass she wore. This is the picture that was featured in the ebay.de auction.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DDR Grenztruppen band uniform. I had to replace the shoulder cord, which was missing when I got the uniform, but the rest of the insignia is original to it.

99e7bq.jpg

23wa14n.jpg

2rejx8o.jpg

WOW!! That is a first for me. I have never seen an original DDR Bandsman uniform before. How are the swallow's nests applied? You should start a dedicated thread on that one! PLEASE!

Hi Paul,

I don't have much info on this one, so I don't think I can start a whole thread on it just yet. The swallow's nests are applied with small hooks; the kind you normally see used to keep collars closed and secured at the neck. The hooks are simply pushed into the seam where the sleeve meets the jacket itself, and have a habit of popping out. Not a particularly secure method of keeping them on!

I'm surprised you hadn't seen one of these before. After having seen what you have in your very impressive collection, I'd thought there was nothing you hadn't seen :)

Replacing the shoulder cord actually took me a couple of years. When I first bought this one in 1998 or 1999, it had everything but the cord. When I got it home, I found a small button sewn under the right shoulderboard. At first I thought it was for a marksman lanyard, but the only Grenztruppen one I had was on another uniform. A couple years later, I got a catalog of East German militaria, and they had an East German Bandsman's shoulder cord/aiguilette for sale. Totally blind luck that I got the catalog and they happened to have one of these available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...