News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help Panzer badge

Hi guys!

Im just getting started in this hobby and need some help. Thinking of buying this one but is it a real one or a fake reproduction?

What is a reasonable price for it?

Thanks in advance

thumbnail_3307134c-a758-4b93-bb1f-01f8296e8bac.thumb.jpg.34ee4e1ad01c39eb1517a6bf5e55b905.jpg

Edited by nero13

Nero

30 years ago when I was actively involved in buying medals and badges, the wisdom on the street was that 30- 50% of the WWII German stuff on the market was repro/fake.  I can't imagine that the % has gone down!  No easy answer except to talk to people you trust to be honest and experienced in the field and resist - its very hard! - the urge to buy quickly.

I have no idea whether this is a good one, but there are lots of experts and lots of examples out there.  Here are two sites which m,ay shed a little light on the question.  Good luck with your collecting!

Peter

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/german/german_replicas.html

"AS" (Adolf Scholze) has a particular reverse setup....this badge does not have it.  Going on the pic's supplied, and the fact that the details look to be soft, I would go for it being a cast copy (fake). The case, IMO, has been made to give the badge/story a little more credence. 

Have a look at the original example of a Panzer Assault Badge by "AS" posted below.

5a329f3695f93_Aspab.JPG.057431f8d8c23bcf83910833d93c86e2.JPG

2 hours ago, Bayern said:

I am not 100 per cent convinced of forgery . but in doubt ,better not buy.

Hi Bayern, I'l slam the door on this badge right now, it's a poorly executed fake.  Scholze had two distinctive patterns of PAB's and this one matches neither. 

OP, if you need some leads to more reputable dealers or potential affordable badges that I know are around my area, please give me a PM. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've spent a lot of time since entering the hobby studying badges in hand and online. It's quite a minefield, but it is a rewarding hobby with a lot of very informative folks in it. 

The badge John posted up is the typical mid war Scholze manufactured PAB, these are plentiful on the market and only in close to 100% condition should draw a high price at all. 

Hello Stormrider, You have reason , badges specially Third Reich ones is a minefield. twenty four years ago a Austrian expert , collector and seller of Militaria told me that with a growing market for TR era Militaria . some people had begun to manufacture badges and Iron Crosses. using old original machinery and materials .How ? Well , these people were son or familiars of wartime contract manufacturers .when the war was near the end , they concealed machinery and materials .to not be punished . after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Eastern Block , they reinitiated the bussines.