News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Queen Eleanora's Cross

cwdts

The New world is correct the ribbon is red, however we have seen this cross being sold with different ribbons simply because the original was lost

Even the red ribbon appears in different sizes and shapes on the market

Picture 469.jpg

Wow, excellent bar and minis group!

I puzzled by the minis group. I think it was to a British medical officer for merits during WWI. Red Cross medal bars say 'Balkan Allies War 1915 - Bulgaria', however Bulgaria was not part of Allies(Serbia, Russia, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and the US), it actually fought against Allies on the side of Central Powers (Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire). 

How come this British officer received war time awards from the enemy?

Hi New World

I Suspect the British Officer was a Medic working for the Red Cross and could be awarded by helping wounded POWs  and humanitarian deeds/work .. or he was some kind of James Bond ( less likely)

9 hours ago, new world said:

Wow, excellent bar and minis group!

I puzzled by the minis group. I think it was to a British medical officer for merits during WWI. Red Cross medal bars say 'Balkan Allies War 1915 - Bulgaria', however Bulgaria was not part of Allies(Serbia, Russia, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and the US), it actually fought against Allies on the side of Central Powers (Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire). 

How come this British officer received war time awards from the enemy?

I think that this page helps clear this up, New World:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/en/About-us/Who-we-are/Museum-and-archives/Collections/Medals-and-badges

wherein it states that "[t]he medal was awarded to members of the British Red Cross units who served in Bulgaria, Greece, Montenegro, Serbia or Turkey during the Turco-Balkan war (1912-1913) or the Balkan Allies war (1913)."

Note that the Balkan Allies War was in 1913 not 1915, in which case, being before WW1, a British medic would be a neutral and hence he could be recognised for duties performed in Bulgaria.

Edited by Trooper_D

Hi New World,

I have only the picture of the miniatures. I wish I had the minis on the picture.

However i managed to zoom the picture and the Date is 1913 which is the correct year for the Balkan Allies War ( or the Second Balkan War as it is known in Bulgaria)

58 minutes ago, new world said:

Thank you, it's very informative article.

My pleasure - I learnt a lot as well.

59 minutes ago, new world said:

To me the bar on the medal looks like it says 1915, although it could be 1913, as the photo is not detailed enough.

I agree with you that it does look like 1915.

11 minutes ago, Graf said:

However i managed to zoom the picture and the Date is 1913 which is the correct year for the Balkan Allies War ( or the Second Balkan War as it is known in Bulgaria)

Thanks, Graf ,for your confirmation.

49 minutes ago, Graf said:

Hi New World,

I have only the picture of the miniatures. I wish I had the minis on the picture.

this if full size medal on miniatures bar 

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_id=244475 

“... British Red Cross Society Medal for the Balkan Wars 1912-13, 1 clasp, Bulgaria, with top bar, ‘Balkan Allies War 1913’, silver-gilt and enamel, reverse inscribed, ‘Dr. Cecil MacFadden’ ...”

83BCA4BB-B9AC-4535-9880-67C1641D1A2D.jpeg

2C3DD90B-EE65-4205-9F4C-F9EEA7537406.jpeg

• 1 year later...
    On 21/12/2017 at 13:17, Graf said:

The New world is correct the ribbon is red, however we have seen this cross being sold with different ribbons simply because the original was lost

Even the red ribbon appears in different sizes and shapes on the market

Picture 469.jpg

Hello Graf.

Just got this little medal, I was wondering if it's a medal or a jeton, but looking at the scan of this book it could suggest that it's actually an awarded medal. As I assume you can read this I'd like to ask if you can give a little more info about this as I cannot find any info on the net?

Regards, Lars

1606145329_Eleonoramedalje.jpg.172bed380992edda3259fc704dbc1e78.jpg

Hi Lars,

Yes, It seems the correct colour of  the ribbon is red.

i have seen it mainly in two shapes -Austrian type and strait one as seen on the picture with the Queen Eleonora photo.

The page on the picture with Queen Eleonora signs,  medals and crosses is from a  book by Veselin Denkov

According to the book there are four models of the of the Commemorative signs. Your sign is described as the 3rd variant -1915-1916

However when i looked the existing literature and information i am more inclined to think that that there are three different signs/ awards

1 Medal of Queen Eleonora in three grades Gold, Silver and Bronze

2. Red Cross of Queen Eleonora two variants 1912-1913 and 1915-1916

Your Cross is the second variant The text says "God's is our work/deed"

This Commemorative  Red Cross was introduced in 1913ian it was awarded  personally by the Queen to people in recognition of their services to the Bulgarian red Cross during the  Balkan Wars

3. The third sign with the green enamel and no ribbon It comes with a pin system on the back. In my opinion was a sign/award given to the medical personnel members of the so called "Samarianka' organization to which Queen Eleonora  dedicated significant time helping the ill and wounded military personnel.. Sadly she contracted an infectious disease during rendering services to the sick and wounded personnel and that caused her death

I hope that helps

Regards

Graf

Hi Lars,

Welcome.

Here is a variant of the second model of the Cross 1915-1916 With a pin system on the back.

However,  the most common seen is with the ribbon loop on the top as yours

Also a picture from the Queen Eleonora badge The text says "Druzestvo Samarianka" (Samarianka Society) which reinforce my belief that this is not a a model of Queen Eleonora Cross but a badge/sign of this Society.

I am still researching when it was founded It continued trough WW2 period I found among my Documents a Certificate of Completed Course for Samarianka run by the Bulgarian red Cross It is from King Boris III  period -1940. It appeared that those medical personnel were trained to be deployed during war and crisis situations

1902930601_bge2.jpg.079572e7e3c375c8798ca645bd78bf0f.jpg

b6.thumb.JPG.21d4768f2443b7e724743d333b1afd2b.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by Graf