News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Awards - Order of the Rising Sun

Gordon Williamson

Guest Brian von Etzel

A certain best friend Bavarian he served with in Japan received a little more heavy version to weigh down his tunic.

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Brian, your mysterious bavarian looks very much like Crownprince Rupprecht...

Wonderful awards with nice quality indeed. :beer:

Gordon, was the Emperor grand master to all japanise orders? Are these orders still beign awarded and if not, do you know what their current orders are?

Just got this the other day. Thanks for the tip Gordon :cheers:, though I dont know wether to thank you or curse you :unsure:, now I have to buy more of them. It came with an award doc that I have not really looked at since I am not sure how to display it and don't want to unroll it till then.

I wil;l start a thread and post it all withh closeups there.

Lowest medal awarded, an 8th class Order of the Rising Sun

Guest Rick Research

Well, at least the date will be "semi-translatable" from the document-- it will be found in format #s year #s month #s day on the immediate right of the large "chop" in the center of the document.

The problem of course is when the EMPEROR'S name/reign dates are what is indicated. All I can read are numbersand date characters. :(

Well, at least the date will be "semi-translatable" from the document-- it will be found in format #s year #s month #s day on the immediate right of the large "chop" in the center of the document.

The problem of course is when the EMPEROR'S name/reign dates are what is indicated. All I can read are numbersand date characters. :(

http://shinhanga.net/dates.htm

Close up

These are some beautiful medals. I do have a couple of questions in reference to them

1. I notice that the various classes of these medals have the same ribbon. My question is that personel awarded more than one class, how did they wear the ribbons? Did they place a certain device on the ribbon bar to denote class? Did they wear the same ribbon more than once for being awarded more than one class?

2. Are these medals still being awarded today?

Thank you

Warm regards

Paul

• 1 year later...

Thanks Erik,

How later? Post war???

I'm not sure when they changed to this variant. But I think they were made late in the war and after it too. Hope this helps.

/Erik

Edited by SWE Erik

• 11 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here is a close-up of Paul C's 5th Class on the medal bar of later Generalleutnant Karl Max Erdmann Gronau (1855-1945) that I Epsonized for him yesterday:

This was apparently awarded to him by a visiting delegation from Japan while he was a Hauptmann on the staff of the Field Artillery Shooting School, between 1897 and 1902.

For the whole medal bar:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25949

• 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...

Order of the Rising Star insignia in the collections of the National History Museum of Romania: grand cordon star and insignia of the third class

It is incorrect to describe it as a Grand Cordon Star. It is the star for the 1st and 2nd classes. The only Japanese orders that have a Grand Cordon are the Order of the Chrysanthemum and the Order of the Rising Sun with Pawlonia Flowers (which is a different order from the Rising Sun). Both of these are single class orders with Grand Cordon as the only class.

It is incorrect to describe it as a Grand Cordon Star. It is the star for the 1st and 2nd classes. The only Japanese orders that have a Grand Cordon are the Order of the Chrysanthemum and the Order of the Rising Sun with Pawlonia Flowers (which is a different order from the Rising Sun). Both of these are single class orders with Grand Cordon as the only class.

Thanks Paul for pointing this out. I suspected that there is something wrong when I noticed that the European designation of the classes had been used on the labels.