News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DOBROM STRELCU MEDAL

Hallo,

just found this serbian medal on a flea market in Milan... as a read "Banja Luka" on the side ribbon I thought it could be from the 90's Balkan Wars, but I checked on internet and, apparently the medal's from WWII, an award for the "good shooter".

Does anybody here can tell me if the medal is a real one or just a repro, as the metal seems to be quite good, too good conditions for a 70 years old medal.

I'd also appreciate to know more about this award.

Thanks to all the forumers willing to help.

Ciao ciao, Enrico

P_20180205_165940.min.jpg

P_20180205_170001.min.jpg

P_20180205_170026.min.jpg

Greetings Enrico,

Interesting find, the medal is definitely authentic and I don't remember seeing fakes at all. It was first introduced during Kingdom of Serbia, I believe in 1883, as a soldiers' decoration. Before WW1 it had only Cyrillic inscription on the back side. Later, during Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes/Yugoslavia, it had both Cyrillic and Latin inscription. I'm not completely sure but I doubt they were being awarded during WW2. 

The "Banja Luka" ribbon is not related to the medal.

Regards,

Paja

Edited by paja

Hallo Paja,

thanks indeed for your prompt reply.

Glad to know that the medal is authentic. As far as I know Kingdom of Jugoslavia ended in 1941 (correct?). According to your experience, then, could you tell me when, approximately, this medal has been produced, and where? Belgrade?

And what about the ribbon? Is it from the same age? What "Zupa Banja Luka Kljuc" stands for?

Just forgive me if I'm so demanding, but I really like this medal, and I wish I could write down a good caption on my album.

Cheers and bye bye,

Enrico

Apologies for not being more clear in my previous reply. There are two inscriptions on your medal, upper one is Cyrillic (Добром стрелцу), lower one is Latin (Dobrom strelcu) and both of them mean the same thing - (To a) Good Marksman. That puts it in the interwar period.

I'm not sure about the producer, probably domestic.

Generally speaking "Župa" is an administrative district but it also means (catholic) parish and "Ključ" is a place not that far away from Banja Luka.

I can't tell you more about the ribbon, perhaps something related to the Sokol society, I know their members were also eligible for the Good Marksman Medals.

Edited by paja

Don't mention it.

I did a little research since the last night and I'm pretty sure "Banja Luka" ribbon is related to the Sokol movement. I presume its members wore it on their uniforms during rallies. If I understood well the movement had three territorial-organizational levels. The basic organizational unit was Society (Соколско друштво-Sokolsko društvo), several societies formed the District (Жупа-Župa) and all districts formed the Alliance (Соколски савез-Sokolski savez). Based on that I'd say that the ribbon was worn by a member of the Ključ society which belonged to the Banja Luka district. 

Edited by paja