News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Warships evolution - I'm confused

I like military history, but there is one thing I never understood completely: how did the warships evolve? I know something about the Ancient ships, the 18-19th century ones, the WW1 and WW2 and a bit about moder ships. But there are two large periods I really don't understand and I find them very strange and unclear:

- the transition from the ancient galleys to the giant ships full with cannons (in short, naval warfare and ship aspect in Middle Ages, until battle of Lepanto - if there were already ships with cannons and large sails, why did they still use galleys, even with a bunch of cannons? My History teacher told me such ships have been used in the Mediteranean Sea until the 18th century )

- mid 19th century (transition from wooden ships to metal ones, first metal battleships, monitors, ironclads, then the transition to the more classic Dreadnought Class battleship)

9f7bdae670e7625b734e7ea4e3b99cc5-1.jpg

b1000-1720rusgalleys.jpg

poster-medieval-ships.jpg

1--644x362.jpg

battle_of_lissa.jpg

1280px-The_Monitor_and_Merrimac.jpg

HMS_Dreadnought_and_Victory_by_Henry_J_Morgan.jpg

Edited by Morar Andrei

• 1 month later...

Well one reason why the ironclad was developed was as a result of the vulnerability of wooden warships to explosive or incendiary shells. 

Yeah, I heard stories about ironclads fighting each other not being able to penetrate the armour of the enemy because the armament of the ships was not powerful enaugh.