News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help for recipient DCM Boer War

Dear friends,

I bought this miniature bar a couple of days ago and was wondering whether it is possible to determine the recipient? The ribbons were loosely attached to the bar and I am reasonably sure it is the original combination. Thank you very much for any help, greatly appreciated!

Dietrich Maerz

Boer.jpg

That is the distinctive entitlement of a Fusilier from "Barton's Fusilier Brigade" they are the only people (apart from a few outliers) who got Relief of Mafeking & Ladysmith, its a small unit comprised of 27 men from the 2nd Royal Fusiliers, 20 men from 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers, One Officer & 25 Men from 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers and One Officer & 25 men from 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers.

You can check which Fusiliers from those units received the DCM and cross check the Q.S.A. rolls, there will only be very few to earn those bars.

A double DCM mounted for wear, with a rosette instead of a dated bar for the second award is certainly possible.  or it is an improvement / error / fake.  This question was asked on another forum as well and I don't think any of a list of six 'possibles' given there was a Fusileer.

I'm a firm proponent of Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation is the one most likely to be correct.  And the simplest explanation, IMHO, is that it isn't quite right.  :(

Edited by peter monahan

I actually taught philosophy, to teenagers, which was both fascinating and frustrating by turns!  Two problems with 'puzzles' is that, in terms of 'events' conspiracy theories are almost always more fun than the boring old truth and, in cases like this, it is fatally easy to fall in love wiuth one's own 'clever answer' [aka 'castle in the air'.] 

But then, that's what makes us human.  Those of us who are!

Edited by peter monahan

Thanks again for the answers. I bought the bar simply because of the QSA miniature since that is what I mainly was after. When I got it I thought it might be able to trace the owner. However, it is completely unimportant to me. And it could very well be that it is “fabricated”. 

Thanks again for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Dietrich,

Whether or not the 3 x medals in the illustration were ever worn by a single recipient, and or you can not positively identify the recipient, you still have an interesting lot there.....

If indeed the DCM medal has 'For Distinguished Conduct in the Field' on the reverse of it, then at a minimum you have a very scarce strike / issue type of miniature DCM - I say this as the DCM was never officially struck or awarded with a coinage head of King George V

As miniature medals were commercially struck and retailed items, variations in them abound. It wont be unique, but it is more valueable than the standard issue/strike, and hence will be of interest to miniature medal collectors who like to collect all types of variants......

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

the mini is inscribed "For Distinguished Conduct in the Filed" on the reverse. I noticed that this type is listed in the Medal Yearbook 2017 for £ 70-100 which seems to indicate a quite rare item, just as you said.

Thanks again,

Dietrich

Dietrich,

I'm glad that your DCM is indeed a DCM, with correct inscription on reverse of the medal.

However, you should be wary of the ambitious value shown in Medal Year Book against miniature GV DCM's. It would be a very happy vendor who could receive the values therein shown.....

The type II variant they refer to is NOT what you have (yours is actually much scarcer - do not however assume the value doubles...), the type II in the MYB refers to the standard second type GV DCM obverse which was a 'Crowned head' medal

Mark

Hi Mark,

I know, too, that values in books should only serve as a relative comparison. 

Can you help me with what you mentioned as “scarer”. I am new to this topic, my main focus of research is Third Reich.

Best regards,

Dietric

• 1 month later...

Hi Dietrich,

Per my first message I would clarify for you;

Your miniature DCM is scarcer as it has an OBVERSE design (Uncrowned,  'Coinage head GV, that was approved for use on coinage) the design shown on your miniature DCM was NEVER, EVER, officially approved or used on the official full-size DCM medals struck by the Royal Mint.

British miniature medals are commercial private purchase items - for that reason variations & un-approved designs / spellings / fantasy clasps etc, will occasionally be found, as struck by the private maker.

Your miniature DCM has a scarce, unapproved, and unofficial obverse design......

Your miniature medal variant will be of most interest to those miniature medal collectors who like to collect such variants in design.

Good luck.

Mark

Edited by Aberdeen Medals
    Typo