News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

mperial Russian St George Cross 3th Class

Dear all,

First of all excuse me to put the topic here. I've searched the Imperial Russia section and I haven't found it.  I'm a collector of medals and yesterday I found this in a market. I don't know about Russian medals. I know more about French and German medals.  When I got home and studied it, it has generated many doubts about its originality.  It's silver but has errors in its creation.  The measurements are correct. When I bought it I thought that the ribbon was not mounted correctly,  but now I think it's a fake. I've seen that in this forum there were some people very knowledgeable in this type of medals, so I would appreciate some help. Thanks!

DSC08298.JPG

DSC08299.JPG

DSC08300.JPG

DSC08301.JPG

DSC08302.JPG

DSC08303.JPG

DSC08304.JPG

DSC08305.JPG

DSC08306.JPG

DSC08308.JPG

It's more than likely a reproduction.  It should look like these here: http://medalirus.ru/georgievskie-kresty/zovo-3-rus-jap-old.php

There were some crosses made outside of Russian that varied slightly in design that were also legitimate but I haven't seen one match our numbers (which are Russo/Japanese War era). 

Is that maker's/content stamp at the top of your medal or just a blemish?

The suspension is a common, WW2 era Soviet suspension.  Pretty common for Imperial awards to be display as such.  See my George Medal mounted on a Soviet suspension (with other Soviet items).

Also, there is an Imperial Russian section here, hopefully a mod will move this thread there for more attention.

GM4 with friends.jpg

Dear Eric, thanks for your reply. And yes, I prefer to move this thread to the correct section, but I don't know what I can't see the Imperial Russian section. Maybe a moderator can move this and put an I in the title of the thread :)

I know this type of suspension because I have other soviet medals, but with an imperial one I am a little confused. 

I don't know what is the mark in the top. With the magnifying glass it seems to be and 64 very delicate. 

Hello,

I cannot comment about originality of this specific item. But if this should be aa good one, then it St. George cross issued by so called Don Republic in the period 1918-1921 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Republic ). 

The actual attribution to Don Republic is actually debatable, but that is how these crosses are called. 

St. George on these looks more like a cossack. The quality of the Don Republic crosses is usually low and variable. So this fits to the sample you show here.

Here are a couple of examples. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 22.36.19.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 22.36.47.jpg

Edited by Egorka

17 hours ago, Anna_M said:

Dear Eric, thanks for your reply. And yes, I prefer to move this thread to the correct section, but I don't know what I can't see the Imperial Russian section. Maybe a moderator can move this and put an I in the title of the thread :)

I know this type of suspension because I have other soviet medals, but with an imperial one I am a little confused. 

I don't know what is the mark in the top. With the magnifying glass it seems to be and 64 very delicate. 

Sorry, the numbers are 84.

13 hours ago, Egorka said:

Hello,

I cannot comment about originality of this specific item. But if this should be aa good one, then it St. George cross issued by so called Don Republic in the period 1918-1921 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Republic ). 

The actual attribution to Don Republic is actually debatable, but that is how these crosses are called. 

St. George on these looks more like a cossack. The quality of the Don Republic crosses is usually low and variable. So this fits to the sample you show here.

Thank you very much, very interesting.