News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Emblem , star of the Order of Danilo I Montenegro

Dear colleagues,

i recently acquired this emblem of the star of the order of Danilo I of Montenegro. I don’t have any info on such type of emblems that were produced for Montenegro. In Europe such emblems of orders were produced untill beginning of 19th century, not later. Order of Danilo was established in second part of the 19th century. Thx for info!

83D147FC-DAE1-4C25-92DE-C744548A7E23.jpeg

F68874A5-4DF5-45F2-B361-E593D171C687.jpeg

FD80FAAD-5DA9-4C79-BF22-FEA14046B29F.jpeg

No reference [written, internet or museum/personal collection] that I've ever seen contains mention or examples of the insignia you illustrate.    By statute, Order of Danilo motto ring color is blue rather than green as in your piece.   This item looks rather new—may be useful to try a black light material test to help determine age. 

Pakistani embroidery firms supply this sort of insignia nowadays.  Check e#ay item 231970346876  Montenegro Danilo Royal Order Merit Medal Orden Award Duklja Rascia Travunia  for a similar item albeit with different details.   

The Madrid establishment Cejalvo [http://www.condecoracionescejalvo.es] and perhaps one Italian company [possibly Guccione of Roma?] manufacture the physical decorations currently presented by Nikola II Petrović-Njegoš, Crown Prince of Montenegro.  These awards do not include insignia similar to your images.

Websites/pages that formerly contained information on Prince Nikola’s Order and its insignia [Njegoskij.org,  Grandchancelleryorderofdanilo.org and Orderofdanilo.org] ‘cannot be found’ or dead links.  

Apart from Montenegrin Danilo I think I saw similar "cloth variants" of the Serbian White Eagle and even some Republika Srpska decorations. Someone posted photos of the Karađorđe Star as well, I can't remember where. 

Hi Paja , yes that was on our serbian militaria forum, actually Stojan posted it and we discussed, he acquired emblem of Danilo Ist and Karageorge star from one source , bought from collectioner, very reputable one and emblem of White eagle with swords was acquired as new one - new production. Our Danilo stars are produced on the same way, also one Montenegrin collectioner has the same Danilo emblem. But all of us we dont know the source where they came from, period of production etc. 

So i guessed maybe someone here on gmic could help us,

best

Unfortunately I can't find any information about it. I don't remember seeing them in wear nor stumbling upon them in literature. As far as I know Serbian regulations don't mention "embroidered decorations", I don't know about Montenegro. If you discover anything, please let us know.

U.S. e#bay vendor shopbags lists such embroidered items for sale from time to time as noted above.  White Eagle civil star now available; see item 232643283097.  Most likely, simply souvenir pieces like the White Eagle or Karageorge badges attached to key rings.  

Neither montenegrin regulations. But in this case maybe parallel should be made to miniatures, they were not officially regulated but they were used. But in this case i dont have any idea or info still.