News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal 8 place ribbon bar Lippe-Detmold

Hi guys,

I just want to show you on of my latest entries...

This ribbon bar (old style) was formerly owned by Prince Leopold 4th of Lippe-Detmold !!!

Between 1905 and 1914 he was wearing exactly this combination, proofed by various photos.

The bar consists of the following eight ribbons:

- house order 3rd class Lippe-Detmold (Hausorden 3.Klasse Lippe-Detmold)
    - Leopold-order owner-cross Lippe-Detmold (Inhaberkreuz Leopoldorden)
    - house order golden merit cross (Goldenes Verdienstkreuz Lippe-Detmold)
    - throne medal 1897 Lippe-Detmold (Einzugsmedaille 1897 Lippe-Detmold)
    - law suit medal 1905 Lippe-Detmold (Thronanspruchsmedaille 1905 Lippe-Detmold)
    - golden merit medal Lippe-Detmold (Goldene Verdienstmedaille Lippe-Detmold)
    - war veterans club cross Lippe-Detmold (Kriegervereinskreuz Lippe-Detmold)
    - centenary medal Prussia (Centenarmedaille)

So 7 out of 8 ribbons are from his own principal :-P

I also attached the proofing photo and the colored (Photoshop) photo of the big ribbon bar.

I hope you like it, as I do....

Roman

Lippe-Bandschnalle-Fürst_Leopold4-VS.jpg

Lippe-Fotodetail-Fürst_Leopold4.jpg

Lippe-Leopold_IV-Portrait (Nr5)_März 1913-color.jpg

I´m happy, that you like it like I do...

From the same source also this little ribbonbar with three ribbons came earlier.
    For me it´s also belonging to Prince Leopold 4th of Lippe-Detmold, although the positioning of the Cenentary medal differs from
    the corresponding medalbar...no clue why ?!

It shows
    - house order 3rd class Lippe-Detmold (Hausorden 3.Klasse)
    - Cenentary medal Prussia (Centenarmedaille)
    - throne medal 1897 Lippe-Detmold (Einzugsmedaille 1897)

Any thoughts on this?

Regards
    Roman

P.S. The picture of the young Prince I found in the internet and it´s not my own property.

Lippe-Spange-HO-Cent-1897-VS-web.jpg

Lippe-Spange-HO-Cent-1897-RS-web.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hi all, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've found an image similar to the one posted, which seems to show Leopold wearing the Grand cross sash and badge of the house order, however the badge shows what could be described as Laurel devices between the arms, I can't seem to find any reference to it, the badge itself is reversed, apologies but anyone know anything about it.

regards

Alex k

225 copy.JPG

LeopoldI.JPG

Dear Alex K

The laurel between the arms was only in the Sonderstufe (special grade) which was only worn by the monarch of Lippe-detmold. It was for sale at the last Zeige auction at the beginning of the year. I have the catalogue with a A4 size picture of it. I found the catalogue online so here are the pictures.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Screenshot 2018-04-19 at 11.04.00.png

Screenshot 2018-04-19 at 11.03.20.png

Screenshot 2018-04-19 at 11.03.06.png

Hi Laurentius, wow, thanks for the quick reply and images, very nice item, I wondered if it was a special class, as all my efforts to find information on it drew a blank, much appreciated.

regards

Alex

Dear Alex K

Yeah, it is described as a Großkreuz in Sonderstufe, which translates to grandcross in special class. This one was apparently made for the rulers of Lippe-detmold and Schaumburg-Lippe, and since the creation of the Fürstlich Lippischer Hausorden (1869) only 7 rulers of the Lippe kingdoms have lived (if we count both the kingdoms without the regents for Alexander von Lippe who was mentally ill). That makes 7 grandcrosses in this special size, and the rulers would likely have had a pair of them, in case one got damaged. That's sometimes the problem with the collecting of awards from the German states, some medals were given out so little that it is sometimes impossible to find info or pictures.

Kind regards, Laurentius

• 1 year later...

I just realized, that I forgot to provide you with the ultimate evidence, that the ribbonbar was worn by Prince Leopold IV.
    In the meantime I got the attached photos with exactly this ribbonbar ?

Lippe-Fürst Leopold mit Bertha _Feldschnalle web.jpg

Lippe-Leopold Halb-Portrait Feldschnalle 1916.jpg

what a beautiful ribbon bar in extraordinary condition. Although not my field of collecting, I love Lippe stuff. There must have been a big sell off of Fürst Leopold IVs things, his amazing Gala-uniform is on offer at Weitze as you might know:

313888.jpg.a61ccc0538f0223df9b218d51d129d17.jpg

Yes, I saw the uniform already last year during a visit in Hamburg....of course, it´s "nice to have", but the price Weitze is asking,
    clearly blocks me from even thinking about buying it.

Weitze also has some other nice Lippe stuff in his shop...like the miniature chain of the Prince, which I also had in my hands.
    But again the prices were not acceptable at all.

By the way, here is another picture of the Prince (with Princess Bertha zur Lippe-Detmold), where he is also
    wearing this uniform.

Exactly this picture was also used in the local newspaper announcing his proclamation of becoming the ruling Prince of Lippe-Detmold in 1901.
    Both shown things are in my collection and my property.

Lippe-Fürst Leopold mit Bertha _Thronbesteigung 1901.jpg

Zeitung.jpg