News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar from the Kress von Kressenstein estate

Dear Forumites,

I've been offered this ribbon bar out of the Kress von Kressenstein estate, but (together with the current owner), have been struggling to attribute it. 

I'm hopeful, though, that with the MMJO/Militär Sanitätsorden ribbon in first place, it can in fact be attributed.  

Any help you can give is much appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Sandro

DSC_7341.thumb.JPG.7f00f4a23399812afb418f3483b09f0b.JPG

DSC_7344-001.JPG

DSC_7344.JPG

Edited by GdC26

Many thanks Charles. This is where I get to (but as I said, I've not been able to attribute the bar as yet):

- Bavaria: Militär Max Josef Orden, knightscross; gold or silver bravery medal; or Militär Sanitätsorden;

- Bavaria: Verdienstorden der bayerische Krone, knightscross;

- Bavaria, St. Michalesorden third or fourth class;

- Bavaria: Luitpoldkreuz für 40 Dienstjahre im Staats- und Gemeindedienst;

- Prussia: EK II 1870 OR 1914;

- Prussia: Kriegsdenkmünze 1870 OR Hindenburg cross (which given that this is an old style bar, and that it has the Armeedenkzeichen 1866 and the Luitpoldkreuz, which was insititued in 1911, seems to me to be less likely. But it would determine whether the bar is for an 1870's or 1914 veteran. If it is the former, that precludes the first ribbon being for hte Militär Sanitäts orden, and we're looking at a bravery award in first place);

- Bayern, Armeedenkzeichen 1866;

- Austria: Order of the Iron crown III. Class.

I originally thought it might be a bar to Otto Kress von Kressenstein, who did serve in the 1870/1871 wars of unification and won an EK II, but I didn't find evidence of the award of an MMJO, and don't believe the Luitpoldcross fits the bill (Otto Kress von Kressenstein became war minister in 1912, one year after the institution of the Luitpold cross, and I would have expected him to have been given a military service cross, not a civil one).  

Any help much appreciated!

Kind regards, 

Sandro

Hi Sandro,

it is probably a 1870 bar tahn 1914. Like there is no Jubilee medal. Very nice bar congrats

Christophe

I have found in my old file the orders of Friedrich Frhr Kress von Kressenstein

Generalmajor Friedrich Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein

Croix de chevalier de l‘ordre Pour le Mérite, le 4 septembre 1917,

Croix de commandeur de l‘ordre du mérite militaire Max Joseph de Bavière, le 19 avril 1917,

Croix de chevalier de l‘ordre du mérite militaire Max Joseph de Bavière, le 23 avril 1916,

Croix d‘officier avec épées de l‘ordre du mérite militaire de Bavière, le 5 juin 1916,

Croix de 3e classe avec couronne et épées de l‘ordre du mérite militaire de Bavière, le 28 mai 1915,

Croix de chevalier avec épées de l‘ordre royal de la maison de Hohenzollern, le 22 février 1917,

Croix de fer de 2e classe, le 13 octobre 1914,

Croix de fer de 1re classe, le 16 octobre 1914,

Croix hanséatique de la ville de Hambourg, le

Croix de commandeur de 2e classe avec décorations de guerre de l‘ordre du mérite militaire d‘Autriche, le

Croix de commandeur avec sabres de l‘ordre Osmanjie de l‘empire Ottoman, le

Croix de commandeur avec sabres de l‘ordre Medjidje de l‘empire Ottoman, le

Médaille Imtiaz avec sabres en or de l‘empire Ottoman, le

Médaille Liakat avec sabres en or de l‘empire Ottoman, le

Croissant de fer de l‘empire Ottoman, le

Médaille du Jubilé de Luitpold, le 21 mars 1905,

Croix de service de 1re  classe de Bavière, le

Croix de 1re classe de l‘ordre du mérite militaire de Bavière, le

Croix de commandeur de l‘ordre Albert de Saxe, le

Croix de commandeur de 2e classe de l‘ordre de l‘Aigle Rouge, le

Croix de commandeur de 2e classe avec plaque de l‘ordre de la Couronne, le

Croix de chevalier d‘honneur de l‘ordre de Saint Jean de Prusse, le

Croix de chevalier de 1re classe de l‘ordre Frédéric du Württemberg, le

Croix de chevalier de 2e classe avec feuilles de chêne de l‘ordre du Lion de Zähringen de Bade, le

Croix de commandeur de 2e classe de l‘ordre de la Couronne de Fer d‘Autriche, le

Croix de commandeur de 2e classe de l‘ordre de l‘Epée de Suède, le

Croix de commandeur de l‘ordre de Saint Trésor du Japon, le

Christophe

Many thanks Christophe.

I concur that although he had the MMJO, unfortunately, Generalmajor Friedrich Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein is not a good candidate for our bar, which I agree is most likely a bar of a veteran of the wars of German unification (i.e., 1866 and 1870/71), 

I would hope though that with the familiy connection (and the attribution to the Kreß von Kressenstein estate is sound) and the combination of the decorations, someone on the Forum is able to attribute the bar. 

Any help is welcome!

Kind regards,

Sandro

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Stogie for the comment. Can you "read" or perhaps even attribute it it? Military man gone over to civil service? A doctor, perhaps?

Kind regards,

Sandro 

Edited by GdC26