News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR -- Hans Beimler Medal

While some of this -- one of my favorites! -- has been covered in a (somewhat) related thread -- http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1245 -- this probably belongs over here even more.

I'll try to give "value-added" to what I put iup here, in what is perhaps a more relevant home. (And I know a lot of peope don't read across the fora.)

GERMAN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC: Hans Beimler Medal

Established by the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), formerly East Germany, 17 May 1956. The Hans Beimler medal was awarded for services in the "International Revolution and Liberation Struggle of the Spanish Peoples 1936-1939." The medal was awarded to individuals and there were no multiple awards allowed. The medal was presented in the name of the Chairman of the Council of Ministers. The medal is silver in appearance and has a diameter of 32 mm. On the obverse is a Portrait of Hans Beimler, Leader of the German Communist contingent in Spain. On the upper outer portion of the obverse is the inscription of the years of Hans Beiler's lifespan "1895-1936." The reverse displays the emblem of the International Brigades, a three-pointed star, whose points are superimpose over the inner circle of letters spelling out the words "INTERNATIONALE BRIGADEN" (INTERNATIONAL BRIGADES), and surrounded by an outer ring of letters "KAMPFER SPANIENS FREIHEIT 1936-1939" (FIGHTERS FOR SPANISH LIBERTY 1936-1939) with the years of the Spanish Civil War placed at the bottom. The medal is suspended from rectangular ribbon bar of red, yellow, and violet horizontal strips in equal proportion, these were the colors of the Spanish Republican Flag. On the outer edges of both sides are narrow vertical strips of black, red, and gold, the colors of the German Flag.

Bartel 144a.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 6 months later...

Hi Ed, a wonderful grouping...well done... :beer: (a thumbs up icon is missing for this forum....)...as you may remember from the WAF, I have had a fair number of Spanish Civil veteran badges, but I have sold them all now. :speechless: ..whenever, I come across some others that you have not shown here as yet, I will try and remember to post some pics here for you...ok? Cheers, Torsten.

:anmatcat: (just really wanted to use this smilie .. ;-) .)

Hi Ed, a wonderful grouping...well done... :beer: (a thumbs up icon is missing for this forum....)...as you may remember from the WAF, I have had a fair number of Spanish Civil veteran badges, but I have sold them all now. :speechless: ..whenever, I come across some others that you have not shown here as yet, I will try and remember to post some pics here for you...ok? Cheers, Torsten.

:anmatcat: (just really wanted to use this smilie .. ;-) .)

And they sold well, I was suprised at how high the bids were on a couple of the Anniversary Badges. They were out of my price range. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

And they sold well, I was suprised at how high the bids were on a couple of the Anniversary Badges. They were out of my price range. Kevin

Hi Kevin, I did not know that you followed my auctions... :blush::jumping: yes, they did sell very well and most of them went to customers in Spain. I was also quite surprised to be honest, but then I do not come across them that often...lets see if I can find some more to add some pics to Ed's collection....Cheers, Torsten.

Hi Kevin, I did not know that you followed my auctions... :blush::jumping: yes, they did sell very well and most of them went to customers in Spain. I was also quite surprised to be honest, but then I do not come across them that often...lets see if I can find some more to add some pics to Ed's collection....Cheers, Torsten.

I actually started looking for them after Ed posted a thread on these badges/medals. I was planning on bidding on several you had until they went from .99 cents to over $50+ in the last minutes of the auction. I did manage to get a 25th Anniversary Badge (the type on the Ed's photo) right on Ebay.de a couple months back.