News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help required: Inter-wars KD shirt

Hi everyone.

I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me. I am doing some research on the British Army Khaki Drill uniforms. As I understand it, the KD 'Bombay Bloomer' shorts were introduced in 1935, and the 'aertex' KD shirt was introduced in 1938. However, I have seen photos from Palestine and India of British soldiers circa 1935 - 1938 wearing some form of shirt, that would seem to pre-date the 1938 issue.

Does anyone know what these shirts were? They all look slightly different, so are they locally bought items perhaps? And if so, were they approved by the regiment / quartermaster? Did they not breech any uniform regulations? Or would they have been mass produced by said quartermaster perhaps?

Some of them look like the grey woollen undershirt form the WWI style service dress uniform. Is that, in fact, what some of them were?

And does anyone have any colour references for these shirts?

Many thanks in advance.

M'Lord.  You are not being ignored!  I saw your post and fully intended to see what I could dig up, but life intervened: had to buy a new computer and now have to find a new car. :(  

That said, I do hope to find some photos of relevance to your question.  And welcome to the GMIC!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your reply, Peter.

Apologies for my late response but I have been on holiday.

Thank you very much for looking into this for me. I have spent many hours Googling but cannot seem to find any concrete information.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

i would think interwars anything is less well studied and KD from the period is likely to be no exception.  period photos exist from the afghan frontier and the tribal areas, perhaps an extensive search might help.  i have seen the occasional KD item from the 30's for sale on dealers sites but mostly just the jackets and not shirts...i have a few undated pics that show them with a short sleeved or rolled up sleeve shirt and one from 1932 showing the RWF in the OR's collarless shirt similar as you suggest to the WWI shirt.

on the march to Jebel Aulia, Sudan 1932, RWF B company watermarked.jpg

4 and 2 cropped.jpg