News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A question for a champion.... I read that the Litewka was worm in the field (behind the lines) with fiedgrey trousers during the war.... would I be wrong in thinking they were worn with a fieldgrey mütze?

So a Bavarian officer off duty behind he lines would have had a Blue Litewka, Fieldgrey visor and fieldgrey trousers ? I doubt they would have been carting their blue schirmmütze with them on campaign?

Chris, the blue Bavarian Litewka was replaced (by regulation) in March of 1916 by the Kleiner Rock. I'm sure, however, as this photo shows, that officer's with the former jackets did not pitch them. This guy is obviously in the homeland convalescing and has access to all of his uniforms. 

I would think that the gray Schirmmütze would have been worn with the blue Litewka at least up until the time of the change to the Kleiner Rock and quite possibly beyond. 

Hi,

I read somewhere in Kraus that the Litewka was worn off duty when regiments were out of the front line, also by officers working in offices. This would have included officers in occupied countries. Case in point would be a regiment pulled out of the front line and at rest 20km behind the lines in an occupied village. In that case I tend towards the blue litewka with the fieldgrey. I am also wondering... is a Litewka and a picklehaube even possible (according to regulations)?

Hello , Bavarian pickelhaube , but no bavarian borte on the collar . thats beforeApril 1916 .the litewka looks field grey not blue . offizierstellvertreter  ? yes but its possible too that he is a unterveterinar . 

• 5 weeks later...
    On 24/08/2018 at 11:47, Chip said:

Chris, the blue Bavarian Litewka was replaced (by regulation) in March of 1916 by the Kleiner Rock. I'm sure, however, as this photo shows, that officer's with the former jackets did not pitch them. This guy is obviously in the homeland convalescing and has access to all of his uniforms. 

I would think that the gray Schirmmütze would have been worn with the blue Litewka at least up until the time of the change to the Kleiner Rock and quite possibly beyond. 

The link below shows a group of soldiers, the 4th soldier (Bavarian NCO) has a Litewka on and a feldrgrau Schirmmuetze.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/32694097515/in/pool-gebirgstruppe/

Edited by KMB