New Iraqi Awards

I see Ed's thread on Afghanistan. Seen anything on Iraq yet?

Here is then-Brig. Gen. Edward Gruszka, former deputy commander of MND-CS (and now a major general commanding MND-CS). I would guess that the red-white-black ribbon is Iraqi. No idea what medal it represents.

Well, assuming it is the same, this appears to be the medal Lukasz Gaszewski identifies as the Multinational Division Central-South Commemorative Medal (Medal pamiatkowy Wielonarodowej Dywizji Centrum-Poludnie).

http://www.medals.lava.pl/pl/pl4b3.htm

So perhaps still nothing confirmed on Iraqi medals. However, it does seem to indicate that this is more than an unofficial decoration.

Edited by Dave Danner

Major General Gruszka currently commands the Polish-led Multinational Division Central-South, operating in mainly Shi'ite areas of south-central Iraq and including troops from a dozen or so countries.

The wings are parachute instructor wings (gold wreath). Decorations are:

Order of Polonia Restituta

Cross of Merit (Gold)

Medal "Armed Forces in Service for the Country" (Silver - 15 years)

Medal "for Merit in the Defense of the Country" (Gold)

US Army Achievement Medal

? (presumably foreign)

Multinational Division Central-South Commemorative Medal

NATO Medal

UNDOF (UN Disengagement Observer Force, Golan) Medal

Badge below the ribbons is for the 2nd Mechanized Corps (2 Korpus Zmechanizowany). Badge above the nametag is US Master Parachutist's Badge. Below the nametag is the badge of the 25th Air Cavalry Brigade (25 Brygada Kawalerii Powietrznej).

Hi Ed,

You might know this one...

I heard a rumor that the Iraqi Govt is making medals to give to US service members who participated(ing) in the war.

Have you heard anything like this?

Paul

I have heard talk of it, but I suspect the new "government" has more important things to worry about? Unless Halliburton has started striking medals as a sideline?? :P

A little more on that Multinational Division Central-South Commemorative Medal. Here is a picture of Maj. Gen. Gruszka back in Iraq at a ceremony. Note that the Lt. Colonel (I can't make out the name tape; looks like "_arkowski") has just received the medal.

Edited by Dave Danner

• 9 months later...

His official army biography -- http://usacac.army.mil/cac/commander.asp - speaks of something called (?!) the Gold Award of the Iraqi Order of the Date Palm. Presumably that is the last thing he wears??

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus

Edited by Ed_Haynes