News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, I just want to kindly ask for the opinions from the more knowledgeable people here about the following piece. What is it? Is it authentic? What period? etc. Many thanks in advance!

Snapseed.jpg

Snapseed_1.jpg

Hi it's the Prussian (Imperial German) Order of the Crown 1867-1918; 4th Class with Swords, looks totally original and a nice example, cant tell from the picture, but with swords could be awarded with the Iron cross style ribbon, black with two white stripes, without swords normally a pale blue ribbon

regards

My version without swords

Alex K

order of the crown 4th cl  copy.JPG

Edited by Alex K

Ok thank you very much Alex K.  It comes with the black and white ribbon like the ek2. 

Any idea about the period. is it pre-ww1 or a wartime piece?

Edited by ATIK

Dear fellow collectors

Although the crownorder was given out untill 1916, I highly doubt that this piece was indeed given out for wartime merit, rather I think, this would be a piece from the German colonial era, where it was much more common for this award to be given out. This second type was given out between 1869 and 1916. I cannot however, tell you whether this piece is authentic or not.

Kind regards, Laurentius

1. Hi Atik, 

As Laurentius states the Crown Order and Red Eagle Order were basically replaced by the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class for bravery during WW 1 with the exception of some over the hill officers receiving the awards for retirement. According to Neal O'Connor "Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany" their were 1286 awards of the 4th model 4th class with swords with the majority being presented during the colonial period, and 1 award to a flier during WW 1.

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/koniglicher-kronen-orden-4-klasse-mit-schwertern-1871-1918.html

regards,

chuck 

Hello, thank you for your replies. Yes, it does have a maker's mark on the lower arm. I can't tell if the swords are screwed into the body, but they appear to be hollow pieces joined together. There is a seam on the hilt.

Snapseed_2.jpg

Thanks again...

Edited by ATIK