News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

Martin

Really nice 'piece of history' helmet you have there. Looks to be an early war replaced liner and chinstrap but probably not the drawstring.

I'm guessing an ET helmet, liner being marked as 57 would make it an ET64? and shrapnel damage from a H-RTS230/245 given the shape of the dent.

Any other feelings Gents?

Steve

Hi Steve

thanks for your reply , yes your right an ET 64 shell .

the rivet heads look a little bit to good , we all know that it’s quite often the case that the paint remains on the rivet heads so I don’t know .

until I bought it I was not aware of roller buckles , have you or anyone else come across them ? 

I have looked into this and it matches pictures of other examples.

oh and Steve , what’s an H-RTS230/245 ?

as is often the case the pictures don’t really do it justice  

here are three more that may or may not be better 

Best Wishes 

Martin

4F2EE55C-AFCA-4F80-B230-F45B89EE6E42.jpeg

88A402C3-066B-458E-A72D-41D795F9C5A5.jpeg

DEF33DFB-278F-4CA2-AB3C-89E30B2E96E5.jpeg

Martin

The newer split pins (1940ish - they may be dated but probably best not to play with them too much to see) are holding the finished colour better than the older helmet. The steel alloy of the later split pins never seem to rust as much as the steel helmet so the paint looks better.

Roller buckles are pretty rare. Some were manufactured through the 20s and clip onto the helmet bale/d ring with a steel clip and are sewn on at the other side. These are normally only found on transitional helmets (M16/M17etc), sometimes used on early M35s. All chin straps were basically the same from 1939 on, 13 holes I believe. They started off all alluminium, then most became steel in 1940 with the quality falling away later in the war.

Chinstraps broke a lot, due to quality, hanging from webbing and general use so were replaced fairly often. Roller buckles are known on all helmet variants (M35/40 and 42) some sewn onto the bales, some made from Belgian or French Adrian straps. So, not unknown and not something to worry about, just a bit more of a life story for the helmet.

Great helmet to keep.

I made up the H-RTS230/245, just to see if anyone was actually reading or paying any attention. :unsure:

Hi Steve

Ha Ha like it , I thought it might be more a case of a

b/u11-s.h-1t strike rather than the old

H-RTS230/245 .

thanks as usual for your valued opinion.

as you know I do like to add my personal touch so I’m just off to Halfords to get a spray can of green gloss , apple green of course !

soon bring that baby back to life !!

as a fellow restorer you will know what I mean ;/

Best Wishes

Martin 

• 2 months later...

Beautiful helmet.  I know the wearer felt the impact of what made that hole. 

But I also remember seeing images of helmets being destroyed with a pick/ax right after the war.  Could this be one that did not take such a huge hit?

Hi Paul

thanks for your reply .

shrapnel , glancing bullet strike , pick axe , we will never know but as you say a great piece of WW2 history and I feel lucky to be its present keeper

cheers Paul

martin

• 1 month later...