News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Matt

Interesting group photo indeed !  If we can give an approximate date to the photo it would be easier to identify some further flyers in the photo.

some thoughts: Quade did join FFA 54 in mid Dec 1915 so the photo is possible taken after that date. My guess it might Christmas 1915. 35 flyers are on the photo where one face is unseen. At that date Stofl Süd also consisted of FFA 59 and apparently an A-H Flik, anyone knew which Flik ?

Some "rather well known" flyers including later Aces ought to be identified due other often published photos. It apparently exists other photos for von Hünerbein, Alfons Nagler, Hans Hinsen,  Daum, Schleiff, Max Pollandt, Wolfgang Zorer, all from FFA 54.

From FFA 59 these flyers should exist on other photos: Sonnenburg(later General), Fahlbusch and Rosencranz(both later Aces), Hans-Max Lohmann(the commander), Leo Leonhardy (the Iron commander and later PlM holder), Victor Stresemann (the Saxon) and eventually the later Ace Alois Heldmann. For Rudolf Mothes who wrote a book about his War experiences I havent seen any photos.

I am no photo collector, but only remember seen photos from different sources.

Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

I'll have a look for these individuals and see whether I recognise any of their faces. By the way, there was a photo on the IWM website of the guy standing behind Hptm Lölhoffel. It says 'Vogel - Gera 1916' on the left of the image. Do you know anything about him?

Vogel.JPG

Hi Matt

I dont have any Vogel in my FFA 54 list, but I dont have all names. Vogel is apparently neither one of the still unsolved signatures on the plate, but those left before Wilberg left are not there.

Gera is a town near the Sachsen border. It is possible that Vogel is an photographer working in Gera. Sorry cant help in this case.

:(

Gunnar

• 1 month later...
    • 2 years later...
    On 19/09/2018 at 13:16, Mattyboy said:

Hi Dave,

Very interesting about Willi Ott, which is a new name for me. I hadn’t noticed the ’31’ on his shoulder strap!  

So von Landwüst is a good candidate. Does the abbreviation OK2 mean Friedrich-August Cross 2nd Class?

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for the first names. The link to FFA 54 is tenuous for some of these people. I saw a photo of a silver plate which had signatures inscribed – I will post this photo later.

Ok here is a nice photo of Hptm Erich Quade – does anyone know what award he is wearing through the button-hole along with the EK2?  

FA 24 - Erich Quade.JPG

Ribbon111.JPG

What a nice picture. Do you have a name? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi again, I am coming back regarding the "Teller" with all the names.

I now think that signature after von Blankenburg is Oblt Weber. He was apparently the regular pilot to Zorer around this time, May 1916.

I have an possible candidate to be him, an Oblt dR x Weber from FAR 52. This Weber was later promoted Hptm dR on 19.05.1917 (VI Berlin). 

Can anyone help to identify him ? He will be a strong candidate to have received the Hohx.

Btw, Georg Langhoff served at AFP Süd as Büro-Offizier during this period.

Gunnar

Edited by Soderbaum

Thanks Dave :)

When Otto Weber was promoted to Hptm dR he is listed among a group of the Fliegertruppe. However it also means that he could have been a Flakman or Luftschiffer. I do not think that he is the flyer within FFA 54.

Georg Weber is a new name for me, I will see if I can find further info on him. I also dont think he is the wanted man.

The wanted man could however have been Hptm Willy Weber (P) who was leader of an flying unit in 1918 with this rank. It existed an Luftwaffe Oberst with this name but so far I could not link them, but it means that he might have been an active officer.

Gunnar