News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prince Leopold IV. of Lippe-Detmold wearing an odd uniform ;-)

Hi gents,

I would like to show you some pictures I recently got....although I´m collecting Lippe-Detmold for almost 15 years,

I´ve never seen these ones before...even not online somewhere :speechless:

Prince Leopold IV. is wearing an Austrian uniform (with an Austrian breast-star)....to be more precise the uniform of

12. Feldjäger Bataillon k.u.k-Armee (12th hunter-division of the Austrian army).

These photos should be ultra-rare!

By the way, he was entitled to wear this (foreign) uniform, because he used to be the godfather (Pate) of this division.

Hope you like them like I do...

Regards

Roman

Lippe-Leopold Portrait in Kuk 12te Feldjäger Uniform stehend an Stuhl web .jpg

Lippe-Leopold Portrait in Kuk 12te Feldjäger Uniform-stehend web .jpg

Lippe-Leopold Portrait in Kuk 12te Feldjäger Uniform-web  Kopie.jpg

Edited by Solomon

2 hours ago, ccj said:

I think it’s a colonel of Jaeger Regt 12

Hello The Prince wears the uniform of Feldjaeger Bataillon 12 with the rank of Colonel.Feldjaeger certainly means literally Field Hunter but more adecuate would be to say Rifles Bataillon. The Bohemian Feldjaeger Bataillon N 12 was stationed in Innsbruck in 1914. was formed with 67 per cent of Czechs 32 per cent of Germans and 1 per cent of others. commander was the Lieutenant Colonel Dante Bontadi . in 1914

Hi Thanks for the correction, appreciate your input to enable me to be as accurate as possible, the collar, cuffs and trouser stripe is no problem, what does puzzle me slightly is the black stripes on the sash, to the best of my knowledge its a grand cross of the Austrian order of Leopold, which looks like this, I'm not aware of any special class ribbon which differs, perhaps you could confirm otherwise

Edit, just had a thought, do you mean the waistband sash not the shoulder sash, I suspect so!! if so not a problem

regards

Leopold%20GK%20Kleine%20(1).jpg

Edited by Alex K
    brainwave

Really nice colourisation !! I also found this commercial picture, luckily I own the original one from the photograph, the other one is a postcard-copy.

No idea, why this officer wears an Imperial German uniform...I just assume he is waering it for the same reason like Prince Leopold IV. does....he is a godfather of a German division and officially allowed to wear the uniform.

@1812 Overture

Hi Solomon thanks for the complement on the colourisation, The images you posted are really very nice, remember if they are period (Old)images, then they have historical value, particularly as a collector, modern digital images such as those I posted don't hold the same value, If I collected period images, I would be very pleased to have those you posted in my collection, in reality, if they are original, then they may well be unique

regards

Absolutely wonderful colorized image, especially after the change to the green collar and cuff.

I hope you show more colorized photos

I’m sure it’s General Herzog Robert von Wurttemberg in the German officer’s uniform with medals mounted in tri-fold fashion

On 20/09/2018 at 21:16, 1812 Overture said:

Dear Solomon:Thank you for your wonderful sharing! I want to ask you to know why this person is wearing a German uniform and wearing an Austrian medal?

psb.thumb.jpg.df61693a326f8d21d9e0707b29f5ce9c.jpg

Edited by ccj

For those interested, there is an existing thread I started many years ago in Military Art  "Bringing History to Life" section, it seems to have dried up somewhat so I havn't posted for quite a while, with regards to ownership images etc, I personally I try to use what are termed "Public Domain" where ownership is unknown or time expired, or as in the case of Leopold IV, above, obtain an appropriate licence for personal use, Images I know to be "privately owned" I may colourise but ensure I don't publicly post without the owners permission,

It is Robert of Wurttemburg, the only Austrian medal he is wearing is the last one, the others are German, but Austrian mounted for some reason, apart from that the neck decoration is the Austrian version of the Order of the Golden Fleece. The Austrian version was discontinued in 1918, there is a Spanish version, which is still in use, as a results of both Austrian and Spanish Royal inter-marriages

regards

Alex

ps this image is from Landesarchiv Baden-Wurttembug

robert von wurttemburg copy.JPG

Edited by Alex K

6 hours ago, 1812 Overture said:

962462437_psb(2).jpg.f601fa11e35d05e15ce9b2cce64fc389.jpg1274702275_psb(3).jpg.e28cb286c8ca4b217ffb7bd8ad878b88.jpg1343794699_psb(4).jpg.0378a15e6687b7e2364d53c6412656c3.jpg208839945_psb(5).jpg.450ee0a11511aef7b97470def0e6a5fb.jpg1491103064_psb(6).jpg.ae40ebe25eea996d07bed46f296c6959.jpg234246551_psb(7).jpg.8a23173c17cd0585bc28a2b938197f1e.jpg

Originally, photos need to be copyrighted here? So how do you determine who owns the copyright for this photo? Can we still have a pleasant discussion?:violent:

just out of cuiousity: I only recognize 1 guy in the series above. Who are the others?

8 hours ago, Alex K said:

For those interested, there is an existing thread I started many years ago in Military Art  "Bringing History to Life" section, it seems to have dried up somewhat so I havn't posted for quite a while, with regards to ownership images etc, I personally I try to use what are termed "Public Domain" where ownership is unknown or time expired, or as in the case of Leopold IV, above, obtain an appropriate licence for personal use, Images I know to be "privately owned" I may colourise but ensure I don't publicly post without the owners permission,

It is Robert of Wurttemburg, the only Austrian medal he is wearing is the last one, the others are German, but Austrian mounted for some reason, apart from that the neck decoration is the Austrian version of the Order of the Golden Fleece. The Austrian version was discontinued in 1918, there is a Spanish version, which is still in use, as a results of both Austrian and Spanish Royal inter-marriages

regards

Alex

ps this image is from Landesarchiv Baden-Wurttembug

robert von wurttemburg copy.JPG

I think the tunic is a field gray 1915 Friedensrock of Infantry with red collar but not certain it’s Infantry  I don’t recall what units he was a la Suite but I think an Infantry  and cavalry regiment

Hi, thanks for the updates, I thought all imperial decorations were abolished as national decorations when the Austrian royal family abdicated, from the images it now seems to be some sort of civil decoration, shows how wrong I am, oh well you live and learn, must educate myself of the numerous uniforms also:o

robert von wurttemburg rev copy700.JPG

Edited by Alex K

It is not "awarded" (awarded is somehow wrong for Orders of chivalry as you get included as memeber of the chivalric community with the decoration as insignia, this led to some controversy when they included double award bars in WWI for example at the Austrian Leopold order as you can't become member of the symbolic community two times) by the austrian state as official decoration, but from the Habsburgs as dynastic Order. In 1953 this was accepted officially by the austrian government. The members are only men of the aristocracy. Current grandmaster is the head of the Habsburg family "Archduke" Karl.

Edited by Utgardloki

Superb

I on the uniform of General Pohlmann and a photograph. I’d love to see if colorized one day. 

I haven’t been able to find a ribbonbar that matches his awards. 

Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th Class

Prussian Order of the Crown 3rd Class

25-Year Service Cross

Officer Honor Cross Schaumburg-Lippe House Order

Order of the Romanian Crown, Commander Class

Order of the Siamese Crown, Commander Class

EK2, EK1

Prussian Crown Order 2 with swords

Pour le Merite 

Ernestine House Order commander with swords

Schwarzburg Honor Cross 1st class with crown and swords

And more according to the ribbon bad in the photo

3FC351F4-CCC4-4691-BDC9-F16B566BBCE8.thumb.jpeg.9d7d403d782fa9bf7866a5f0a2f8791d.jpeg