News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PC 881 Edward Watkins City of London Police

Great to sit and ponder this sort of thing, isn’t it. If only we could speak to him and the other area Bobbies, what tales they could no doubt tell!

Just with regards identifying which station the collar number 944 would have been assigned to. I don’t think it’s as simple as all that. There was an officer 944 stationed at Bishops Gate in November 1884. 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Interesting facts :-

Here we can identify 3 City of London Police Constables who all joined the City of London Police Constabulary in 1871 and were still using their originally issued collar numbers in 1888. [During the Jack the Ripper period]

Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins.

Police Constable 882 Joseph Phipps.

Police Constable 883 James Ferguson.

Police Constable 883 James Ferguson's full history is located on page 8 within this particular thread but here is a summary of the important points.

On the 26th of July in 1887, James Ferguson joins the City of London Police and is residing at 21 Cottage Lane, City Road. James is lodging with the Brider family.

This address would have been well known locally because James Kelly murdered his wife of only three weeks, ''Sarah Ann Kelly'' [nee Brider], in the family home in 1883. James grabbed Sarah around the neck, pushing her head down on the floor, stabbed her with his penknife in the neck, digging away with the blade into the wound and she died soon afterwards in hospital. Mrs Brider attempted to stop the attack on her daughter but was thrown across the room knocking her unconscious. James Kelly was found ''guilty of murder'' and ''sentenced to death'' but later this was commuted to ''murder whilst insane'' and he was sentenced to be held at Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum indefinitely.

James Kelly was a cunning, volatile, devious and a manipulative individual. James was employed as an upholsterer and used various knives and sharp tools and knew the Whitechapel/East End district very well. James was a loner and had problems relating to women and so used prostitutes to relieve his sexual needs. He suffered from mental instability throughout his life an was also infected with a sexually transmitted disease. 

There are several published books which consider James Kelly as a possible Jack the Ripper suspect.

On the 23rd of January in 1888, the insane James Kelly, after several years of careful planning escaped from Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum and headed back to London.

The Metropolitan Police obviously considered James Kelly as a possible suspect for Jack the Ripper because they officially questioned Mr and Mrs Brider about their daughter's murderer. They also at one point raided 21 Cottage Lane to ensure he was not hiding at the premises. After James Kelly was sentenced to death, Mr and Mrs Brider added their names to a petition to request clemency in an attempt to prevent the death sentence from being carried out and one should also remember that James Kelly had resided at 21 Cottage Lane for some considerable time prior to the marriage and murder.

Now back to Police Constable 883 James Ferguson who on the 24th of October in 1889 married Ellen Mary Brider. She was the sister of the murdered Sarah Ann Kelly [nee Brider] and the marriage certificate states that James Ferguson was still residing with the Brider family at 21 Cottage Lane, City Road.

Therefore Police Constable 883 James Ferguson was residing at the famous 21 Cottage Lane before and during the investigation and hunt for Jack the Ripper and after the investigation had ended.

James Kelly evaded capture for decades and never explained his whereabouts for the late 1888. In fact it was not until the 11th of February in 1927 when he handed himself into the ''Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum authorities'' that he was recaptured. By this time he was an old man in poor health and almost totally deaf. James Kelly soon realised he did not care for being back within the walls of Broadmoor but he was too old and carefully watched which prevented him from escaping again.

On Tuesday the 17th of September in 1929, James Kelly dies in Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum and took his secrets of what he actually did and where he was in 1888/1889 to his grave. It is known he left London and travelled to France and travelled extensively in America and Canada over the decades.

Prior to Covid, I had attempted to find out if Police Constable 883 James Ferguson had a personal file at the London Metropolitan Archives but the museum had closed down.

In the last week, I sent another 'e' mail to them requesting information on this subject and they have replied and confirmed his personal file had survived but only consisted of 9 sides of A4 paper and also gave me some details from the City of London Warrant Book relating to him. I filled in the form attachment and sent it away with a cheque for £20 so that they can delve into the file and give m an exact itemised list of the pages and the cost of duplicating those pages. It will probably work out at approximately £5 per A4 single side page to photocopy but their reply will inform me of the charges. They are usually very helpful and tell you when a page has little information on it so that your can make an informed judgement on whether to copy that individual page or not. 

I will post the results of the information I receive on Police Constable 883 James Ferguson probably in a couple of weeks time. 

SS851488 (2).JPG

SS851503 (2).JPG

SS851504 (2).JPG

SS851505 (2).JPG

SS851507 (2).JPG

SS851513 (2).JPG

''Obtaining information from the London Metropolitan Archives regarding Police Constable 883 James Ferguson.''

I received an 'e' mail from the London Metropolitan Archives yesterday [5/10/21] stating they had received the £20 fee and can now confirm the following regarding the contents of Police Constable 883 James Ferguson's personal file.

It contains the following :-

''James Ferguson's application for joining the City of London Police,'' includes 4 x A4 single sheet colour prints.

''Record of Service Sheet,'' includes 3 x A4 single sheet colour prints.

''Unfit for Service document,'' includes 1 x A4 single sheet colour print.

''Report Sheet,'' includes 1 x A4 single sheet colour print.

Total of 9 x A4 shingle sheet colour prints = £45.

I have now sent away the required sum to ensure I receive all the pages from the document. It is a bit like doing a  lottery, there is real potential of discovering something special but you also know you have much of the information already.

For example, the ''Unfit for Service document,''  we already know that James Ferguson died from ''General Paralysis'' which is also known as ''General Paralysis of the Insane.'' Of those infected by syphilis, only approximately  7% go on to develop general paralysis and the prognosis is quite simple ''your going to die and it is not going to be very nice.'' It is most common in men and your end up bedridden and completely disoriented. By the 1940's the disease was eradicated by the widespread use of penicillin.

Hopefully, I will post photographs of the additional 9 single sided pages of information within the next two weeks. 

general paralysis of the insane.jpg

It is also interesting to note that James Kelly, the murderer, was also infected with 

venereal disease and at one point attempted to treat himself so that he could

keep his secret from the Brider family.

SS851503 (2).JPG

SS851507 (2).JPG

Hi,

The London Metropolitan Archives sent me an 'e' mail the other day which I thought was very nice..........they were just letting me know the individual who is dealing with the Police Constable 883 James Ferguson enquiry....... is off on leave for a week but will continue with my order on his return.

I just thought they were very professional in keeping me informed on what was happening and it was much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

James Ferguson and the City of London Police :-

James Ferguson was born in the Parish of Neithrope, near the town of Banbury, in Oxfordshire, in 1861.

From the 27th of May in 1878 to the 12th of November in 1884, James Ferguson served in the 22nd Middlesex Volunteers,

From July of 1886 to June of 1887, James Ferguson worked as a cigar maker with the company of J R Freeman & Son.

On the 28th of July in 1887, James Ferguson applied to join the City of London Police and his physical description was recorded as being........

25 years and 10 months old.

Five feet and nine inches tall.

Hazel eyes.

Dark hair.

Dark complexion.

No distinguishing marks.

Marital status - single.

James Ferguson on joining the City of London Police was lodging with the Brider family at 21 Cottage Lane, City Road which was the place where James Kelly murdered his new wife Sarah Ann Kelly [nee Brider] in 1883 and who was considered as a possible suspect for the Jack the Ripper murders.

We can evidence the City Police Constable James Ferguson remained lodging at this address before, during and after the Jack the Ripper murders.

James Kelly was found guilty of murder but was deemed to be 'insane' and sent to Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum.

On Monday the 23rd of January in 1888, James Kelly escaped from Broadmoor Lunatic Asylum and it is believed returned to London and remained at large for several decades.

On the 23rd of September in 1887, City Police Constable James Ferguson was certified fit for the service and started on a 3rd Class rate of pay at 25/- shillings per week and is issued with the collar number of 439 and the warrant number of 5955.

On the 27th of September in 1888, City Police Constable James Ferguson had advanced to 2nd Class rate of pay at 28/- shillings.

On the 7th of July in 1893, City of London Police Constable James Ferguson was placed ''on report'' for being drunk whilst on duty and his rate of pay was reduced to, ''3rd Class rate of pay,'' as a punishment.

On the 10th of May in 1895, City Police Constable James Ferguson is advanced to the rank of Detective Constable [Collar number 883 and it later changed to 1128] and on a rate of pay of 34/- shillings per week and there was also an allowance of 5/- shillings.

In 1897, awarded the City of London Queen Victoria Jubilee medal.

On the 2nd of November in 1898, City Detective Constable James Ferguson is awarded 10/- shillings for praiseworthy conduct in detecting and arresting two men for stealing and receiving bicycles.

In 1902, awarded the City of London Coronation medal.

On the 23rd of December in 1910, City Detective Constable James Ferguson is, ''on report,'' for rendering himself unfit, through drink, to perform his duty at 12 midnight. He was reduced to 3rd Class rate of pay and returned to uniform duties. I suspect Police Constable James Ferguson's collar number now changes to 74D and later it again changes to 79B. It is extremely likely that this change in behaviour was due to the fact he is now suffering from ''General Paralysis''  also known as ''General Paralysis of the Insane,'' and within approximately the next 6 months, he will be officially diagnosed as having the disease.

On the 7th of June in 1911, there is a report from the, ''City Police Hospital,'' which was located adjacent to Bishopsgate Police Station that City Police Constable 79B James Ferguson is no longer fit for duty as he is suffering from ''General Paralysis.'' James had completed 23 years and 10 months of service. 

On the 8th of June in 1911, City Police Constable James Ferguson is retired as unfit for duty and awarded a pension of £54.5s.4d. James Ferguson leaves the City Police Force with a certificate which rates his conduct as ''good.''

SS851518 (2).JPG

SS851521 (2).JPG

SS851525 (2).JPG

SS851528 (2).JPG

SS851533 (2).JPG

SS851538 (2).JPG

SS851543 (2).JPG

SS851548 (2).JPG

Hi,

City Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins served in the Metropolitan Police from the 31st of October in 1870 to the 15th of May in 1871 so why did he leave the Metropolitan Police to join the City of London Police?

I believe, that part of the answer to that question, can be found in City Police Constable James Ferguson's records.

Item No1. I remember reading somewhere that the rate of pay for the City of London Police was greater in value, than that rate of pay which was given to the Metropolitan Police. The City of London Police was a much smaller force which meant it would have been easier to pay a slightly greater amount and especially since they were protecting the more prosperous square mile of London.

Item No 2. The, 'City Police Hospital,' was operational from 1866 to 1947 and was located behind the Bishopsgate Police Station which was built in 1861. It was established by the Police Surgeon Mr Borlase Childs and he also arranged the financing for the project. It was staffed by a Matron and several nurses and a surgeon was also employed. They also used Police Officers that were placed on 'light duties,' as porters and they would wear a blue uniform. 

Any Policemen that were likely to be absent form duty for more than a few days were obliged to attend the Hospital for assessment and they would treat officers who were injured in the line of duty etc. On admission they would receive free medial and nursing care.

Conclusion. I think Edward Watkins in 1870, would have been persuaded by the better rate of pay and additionally the bonus of a good Police healthcare system. 

I have also attached two photographs of the England Census for 1911 relating to the ''City Police Hospital'' and it identifies those employed by the hospital and those that are patients in the hospital. 

SS851549 (2).JPG

SS851552 (2).JPG

City Detective Constable James Ferguson giving evidence at the following three trials, at the Old Bailey.

Old Bailey trial, dated the 8th of September in 1896.

Henry Lavender, William Dear and Peter Henry Bock charged with deception and fraud.

They used false pretences to obtain from drivers and tradesmen their goods with the intent to defraud.

City Detective Constable Ferguson was following the suspects and observing and gathering both information and evidence.

All three sentenced to 5 years Penal Servitude each.

Old Bailey trial, dated the 8th of September in 1908.

Thomas Finn and Frederick Edwards charged with stealing 4 reams of account book paper.

Finn sentenced to 10 months hard labour. Edwards sentenced to 14 months hard labour.

Old Bailey trial, dated the 16th of November in 1909.

William Johnston, Frederick Sullivan and Frank Ellis charged with breaking and entering a shop and stealing cigar and cigarettes and other goods.

Sullivan sentenced to 2 months hard labour, Ellis sentenced to 3 months hard labour and Johnston released on his own recognisance. 

City Police Constable James Ferguson appears to have been a very good Policeman and had only have ''2 on report incidents'' against his name and this is over a period of nearly 24 years of service with the City of London Police. The original incident of being drunk on duty in July of 1893 was his one mistake because I believe the second incident of being drunk on duty, on the 23rd of December in 1910, was caused by the personality changes that occur when you are in the final stages of being infected with ''General Paralysis.'' Remembering that within the next six months James Ferguson will be officially diagnosed as having this disease and retired as unfit for further service with the City of London Police. 

I have only enclosed one example of DC Ferguson at the Old Bailey and it relates to Peter Henry Bock case etc. The photographs only briefly summarise the case, as the document covers 18 pages of information.   

SS851562 (2).JPG

SS851568 (2).JPG

SS851572 (2).JPG

general paralysis of the insane.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

What did Edward Watkins enjoy doing in his spare time ie music halls or theatre etc, well we will probably never know.

But this Liverpool theatre programme from 1888 does give us an insight into one theatrical aspect of social conflict which 'Jack the Ripper,' caused in 1888. It refers 3 times to the play, 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' which was about to leave London and be performed in Liverpool in December of 1888. A play about a respectable doctor during the day and a murderous fiend by night.

The play, 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,' performed in London in 1888 and its connection to Jack the Ripper.............

Robert Louis Stevenson wrote, 'Dr Henry Jekyll and Mr Edward Hyde,' and the book was published in 1886.

It was about a respectable London doctor who creates a potion to separate the good and evil which is locked within every individual. The doctor experiments with a potion on himself and releases the loathsome and murderous Mr Hyde.

An unauthorised version of the play by Mr Bandmann, first opened in March of 1888, on Broadway, in America and he later took the play to London in August of 1888.

It was in direct competition with an authorised version which starred with Richard Mansfield. Both plays opened in London in August of 1888 but only Mr Mansfield's production was allowed to continue due to copyright regulations.

It is said that audiences originally loved the play especially due to Richard Mansfield's transformation from Dr Jekyll to the loathsome and criminal Mr Hyde. The theory that a doctor could be respectable by day and a murderer by night fascinated audiences. The critics, on the other hand, did not think the play was very memorable.

Within a month of the play's opening, the East End of London was terrorised by the 'Jack the Ripper murders.' Maybe this East End murderer was also a respectable man who could later turn into a hidious criminal etc. The press also picked up on this idea especially since Jack the Ripper never seemed to get caught.

On the 5th of October in 1888, the City of London Police received a letter suggesting Mr Mansfield should be considered as a suspect, as the actor could have easily disguised himself and committed the murders.

Richard Mansfield attempted to defuse the public's concerns by staging the London opening of the comedy, 'Prince Karl' and performing the play for charity.

On the 1st of December in 1888, Richard Mansfield took his company and left London and played 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' to audiences in Liverpool and Darby and also performed other plays, in other cities around England.

Richard Mansfield and his company, in June of 1889, returned to America. Richard Mansfield had accumulated considerable debt due to the production costs and mediocre attendances on his England tour. The free publicity and the connection between 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' and 'Jack the Ripper' had not helped the success of the venture.

SS851634 (2).JPG

SS851644 (2).JPG

SS851655 (2).JPG

SS851659 (2).JPG

SS851663 (2).JPG

SS851672 (2).JPG

SS851677 (2).JPG

SS851681 (2).JPG

SS851686 (2).JPG

Hi,

Here is a photograph of Robert Louis Stevenson.

A famous actress from one of the productions of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but I just can't remember her name.

A picture depicting Mr Hyde in the process of murder.

SS851666 (2).JPG

SS851681 (2).JPG

SS851687 (2).JPG

Hi,

Observations on the play..........

An interesting point is that Mr Bandmann's production of 'Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,' was rather basic in one important area. It was Mr Bandmann's transformation from Doctor Jekyll into Mr Hyde, as he simply put in false teeth to make the necessary change in his appearance to create the different character. I believe the London audience laughed when this was done on stage.

Whilst Richard Mansfield excited and scared the audience with his transformation into Mr Hyde. He changed his facial features, his body posture, used makeup, special lighting and coloured filters etc. Richard Mansfield's transformation was so good that member of the public wrote letters to the police and to the press, that he should be considered as a suspect for the Jack the Ripper murders.

One should remember, in Victorian times, these audiences believed that crime came from the lower classes and these were the people to fear. Now this play was suddenly questioning the reliability of professional classes and the crimes they may be associated with. All these suttle suggestions came from Mansfield's masterly depiction of the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde roles and making the transformation so believable that audiences were truly scared of what they saw.

Remember London was in the grip of a series of horrifying murders that were being committed by 'Jack the Ripper' and this was spreading fear throughout London. The Ripper murders eventually impacted on the play and was eventually responsible for its closure in London. The uncanny timing of the 'play and murders,' occurring at the same period in history.    

SS851694 (2).JPG

SS851702 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi,

'''''Tragedy in the Family.'''''

Stanley Gordon Meek was 37 years old and was the ship's Chief Steward on the S.S. Glenfinlas, with the Glen Line, in August of 1940.

The S.S. Glenfinlas was sailing from the Far East to London and had embarked at Singapore and Port Swettenham.

On the 10th of August in 1940, the S.S. Glenfinlas was entering the Thames River estuary so as to dock at the port and disembark her passengers etc. Harry Roberts, 2nd steward said he saw, ''Stanley Meek dash out of the room without saying anything. Stanley Meek then went into the Saloon on the starboard side of the ship and a moment later Harry Roberts witnessed Stanley Gordon Meek in mid-air between the top level of the ship and the level of the sea in the Thames River.'' Harry Roberts also stated he thought, ''Chief Steward Stanley Meek had recently appeared to be nervous and worried.''

A small boat picked up the body of Stanley Meek.

The coroner, at the Inquest held at Southend, found that Stanley Gordon Meek had drowned whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed.

On Stanley Gordon Meek's Merchant Seamen record it states, ''the company had done all in their power for the deceased man.''

I have found only 2 newspaper articles relating to Stanley Gordon Meek's death and they were published by :-

[a] Chelmsford Chronicle dated the 16th of August in 1940.

[b] Essex Newsman dated the 17th of August in 1940.

Both these newspaper articles share the same basic story of events.

Stanley Gordon Meek was Edward Watkins [ex City of London Police Constable 881.] grandson.

Stanley Gordon Meek's mother was Julia Ann Meek [nee Watkins] who was Edward Watkins daughter.

The above is the sad ending for Edward Watkins grandson and we will probably never know what drove him to end his life in such a way. It should be remembered that World War II had already started and there was a great deal of suffering in the world. I did not have a high expectation of finding any coverage of this one act of suicide. Fortunately, I was wrong and so we have an eye-witness account of Stanley Gordon Meek's last minutes on the S.S. Glenfinlas which highlights the last acts of an individual in pain.   

SS851932 (2).JPG

SS851943 (2).JPG

SS851936 (2).JPG

• 5 months later...

Hi John,

I am glad you enjoyed the thread. One day I hope to go over the previous research because sometimes you notice something you have missed or new data becomes available. Unfortunately, these days, I get easily distracted and end up on another subject. Now I am interested in Ordinary Seaman Cecil John Dawson who served on HMS Marlborough in 1919 and was there when they rescued the Empress Marie Feodorovna and other members of the Russian Imperial family from Yalta, Sevastopol. 

regards Alan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The Question - Is City of London 881 Police Constable Edward Watkins in the famous Bishopsgate Police Station roof photograph which records some of the station personnel and is dated sometime after the issued of the City of London Queen Victoria Jubilee medal for 1887 or thereafter.

We have a family friend who is an artist and I have witnessed him producing excellent portraits, even from what would be considered to be, blurred photographs. That is because he will research and study similar facial features to produce the portraits etc. Therefore he can look at people's faces, in a more detailed and expert way.

He was also the person who did the pencil portrait of PC 881 Edward Watkins from an original Victorian newspaper sketch. I will attach these two photographs and mark them 'A.' You may notice that 'Watkins' is spelt wrong because it is missing the 'S' on the end of his name. The original sketch is where the error originated from.

These sketches originate from the newspapers or from the inquest in 1888 but from the photographs marked 'B' you will notice that there is a considerable difference in his appearance and age between the two photographs. For example the sketch stating he discovered the body, he looks much younger and fitter but the small sketch of him from the inquest makes him look extremely old and tired. Therefore one must study all the sketches to decide what his appearance was likely to be.

There is also an early City of London photograph [from late 1887 and onwards] of the station personnel having been mustered on the roof of the Bishopsgate Police Station. [photo from JTR Casebook site] and I would suspect the photograph records the issue of the City of London Police Queen Victoria Jubilee medal for 1887, as they are all wearing this medal.

I believe that Edward Watkins is in this photograph and is in the second row, top left hand side, he is the first man in the second row and is also standing  behind Sergeant Phelps. But that is just my opinion and I am no expert.

Since our artist friend is suppose to be visiting us sometime in the future, my plan is to show him the sketches that are available of PC 881 Edward Watkins and see if he believes that Edward Watkins is in this photograph. I will not give any indication of my suspicions or any other information and I may also show him the internet example of the photograph, it is also a bit clearer.

This will not prove or disprove anything but it will allow somebody who specializes in facial recognition the chance to put their expertise to good use and I can then record their opinion.

This experiment might take a little time as our paths do not cross that regularly but it should be interesting.

SS852317 (2).JPG

SS852312 (2).JPG

SS852326 (2).JPG

SS852334 (3).JPG

SS852344 (2).JPG

SS852346 (2).JPG

SS852344 (3).JPG

Hi,

Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins and his family.

It should be remembered that sometimes the Census records are not always correct and this can be due to simple mistakes or little white lies or outright deceit on the original material. Census staff whilst transferring the information onto permanent census records are another sources of incorrect data etc but the vast majority of the records are an extremely good source of information.

We will never know what Edward Watkins was really like as an individual because we have no information about his personal life but I believe we can utilise the information within these records to give us a reasonable insight into what he was like as a husband and father.

I would suggest, in Edward Watkins case, any incorrect information was provided more like ''little white lies'' to ensure he could provide for his family. That in turn would suggest he cared/loved both his wife and children but that is just my opinion. Either way no one is going to disagree that life must have been extremely hard living in Victoria London

In 1863, sometime between July to September, Edward Watkins married Elizabeth Pryke, in the registration district of Kensington. Elizabeth was born in Kersey, In Suffolk, in 1842. In the English Census of 1861, we find that Elizabeth Pryke was employed as a servant, aged 19 and was residing at 5 St Mary's Terrace, in Paddington. 

It would appear that things were going fine with the couple because their first child, Mary Elizabeth Watkins is born between January to March in 1864 and the birth was registered in Kensington.

It would appear that things were going fine with the couple because their second child, Emily Watkins, is born between July to September in 1866 and the birth is registered in Poplar.

It would appear that things were going fine with the couple because their third child, Sophy Watkins, is born between October to December in 1870 and the birth is registered in Kensington.

On the 31st of October in 1870, Edward Watkins joins the Metropolitan Police and he remained with the service until the 15th of May in 1871. PC Edward Watkins was assigned to Lambeth or 'L' division and given the warrant number of 53299. The initial requirements necessary for joining the Metropolitan Police would have basically been the same as the requirements for joining the City of London Police. Obviously a steady, garanteed employment would be extremely beneficial for raising his young family, even if the level of pay was not as good, as one would hope.

On the 22nd of May in 1871 and after 7 months service with the Metropolitan Police, Edward Watkins applies to join the City of London Police. I believe their pay was slightly better than their Metropolitan colleagues and I think the status of the City of London Police may have been higher, in general, with the public.

On the 25th of May in 1871, Edward Watkins was assigned to the 6th division and given the collar number of 881. On his ''Declaration to become a City of London Police Constable ,'' he officially recorded he was residing at 2 Bramley St, Walmer Road, in Noting Hill and that he had 2 children.

In the English Census of 1871, there is some confusion on what is going on within the family. As per the ''Declaration to become a City of London Police Constable'' his wife Elizabeth Watkins along with their children Mary aged 7 and Sophy aged 5 are residing in the family home at 2 Bramley Street, in Notting Hill.

But the big question is.........why was Emily Watkins left off the census record because she is nowhere to be found, that is until we come to the England Census of 1881 when Emily is again recorded with the family. One of the requirements for joining the City of London Police is that you must not have more than 2 children. Therefore 'Edward's little white lie' is to ensure the 'Declaration to become a City of London Police Constable agrees with the 'England Census of 1871.'

The strangest thing is that Edward Watkins is a 'boarder' with the Gregg family [Coffee House Keeper] at 2 Great Charlotte Street, in Southwark, according to the England Census of 1871. I have heard the theory that this indicates there may have been some kind of problem between Edward Watkins and his family but I believe the boarding may have only covered a short period and so maybe this would give him some deniability regarding the situation at 2 Bramley Street and how many children were living there. There could have been other simple reasons for his boarding with the Greggs especially if it only occurred over a short period. I believe this shows Edward Watkins was a practical and sensible man who could make a plan to overcome a problem and that he also had his family at the centre of his thinking. 

It would appear that things were going fine with the couple because their fourth child, Julia Ann Watkins, is born in 1872 and the birth is registered in Bishopsgate.

On the 23rd of August in 1872, Police Constable Edward Watkins was on report for ''having sexual intercourse with a woman on his beat' and was fined 3 shillings and 6 pence by the Act of Commissioner. There could be a few reasons for his improper act, for example, his wife Elizabeth gave birth to their fourth daughter about this time or she may have died in child-birth as she disappears from the records after 1872 or was this a momentary lapse etc. What is a bit surprising, is that he was only fined 3 shillings and 6 pence for such an act and it may be that receiving favours from prostitutes was a common practice within the City and the Metropolitan Police and was a difficult practice to stamp out. Remember this is Victorian London in 1872.

Tragedy strikes the family because it would appear that Elizabeth Watkins dies and disappears from the records and Edward Watkins is left raising his 4 daughters alone and this occurred sometime between 1872 and 1881. Obviously he would need to find somebody to assist in helping with his domestic worries.

In the England Census of 1881, the family are residing at 6 Eldon Street, in Shoreditch and Edward Watkins is now 37 and employs a domestic servant ''Augusta Fowler'' aged 31. Edward's daughters Emily [14], Sophy [11] and Julia Ann Watkins [9] who was born in Bishopsgate in 1872 and also his father John Watkins aged 80, are all residing at the family home. We do not know when Augusta Fowler actually started working with the family but this is the first official record of it.

In the England Census of 1891, the family are residing at 22 Hamilton Building, in Shoreditch and Augusta Fowler is now recorded as being ''Augusta Watkins'' and is listed as his wife. Two of Edward's daughters are still residing in the family home Emily [24] and Julia [19]. So over the decade Edward and Augusta have become close but I suspect this is a ''common law marriage'' as no trace can be found of an official marriage certificate. Therefore Augusta is not only his wife but is also still caring for Edward's daughters.

In the England Census of 1901, Edward Watkins [57] is retired from the City of London Police and residing at 3 Rush Green, in Romford. Augusta is still with Edward but in the records she is recorded as Augusta A Fowler [54] and is now listed as a house-keeper/servant. There are no children residing in the family home for her to look after but after, at least 20 years with Edward, she is still co-habitating so they must still have some form of relationship. [Note her christian name is wrong in this particular record but that is not a problem.] 

In the England Census of 1911, Edward and Augusta are residing at 1 Birds Cottage, Low Shoe Lane, Collier Row, in Romford. Edward is recorded as being married for 48 years which means he is talking about his first wife Elizabeth Watkins and their marriage in 1863. He also states he had 6 children and the 2 have died. Augusta is recorded as being 'Augusta Ann Fowler' and is single. It is possible that Edward and Augusta may no longer be in a physical relationship but if this is the case, there is definately a real companionship and loyalty between the couple as they have been together for a minimium of 30 years. Even today that would be considered as a good achievement but I would suggest in Victorian/Edwardian times it must have meant even more.

On the 12th of March in 1913, Edward Watkins [69] died at 1 Birds Cottage, of tongue and throat cancer and Augusta Ann Fowler was present at his death. This means they had been together for at least 32 years and therefore I would suggest they must have had a very strong bond and relationship to have achieved this.

So what happened to Augusta Ann Fowler................

In the England Census of 1921, Augusta Ann Fowler-Watkins [that is how her name is recorded on the official transcript of her record] who was 78 years and 11 months old and recorded as being widowed, was a patient at the Romford Workhouse and Infirmary, Oldchurch Road. But in the original written record she was recorded as being ''Augusta Ann Fowler alais Watkins'' which means Watkins was a name she was well known by.

Augusta Ann Fowler-Watkins died in June of 1922, in Romford and as usual there is a little twist, as her death was recorded separately under both her names of ''Augusta Ann Fowler'' and ''Augusta Ann Watkins.''

[I hope I have not made too many mistakes in my typing - as I hate typing.]

SS852356 (2).JPG

SS852353 (2).JPG

SS852358 (2).JPG

SS852358 (4).JPG

SS852358 (3).JPG

Hi,

Imagine I am Metropolitan Police Constable Edward Watkins in 1871..............................

I am Edward Watkins and I have been a Metropolitan Police Constable for approximately the last 6 months. I am enjoying my job as a Metropolitan Police Constable but I have been seriously considering joining the City of London Police. There are various good financial and family reasons for my desire to make this change.

My problem is that I no longer can meet the basic requirements set out for being a City of London Police Constable, in that applicants,  ''should not have more than 2 children'' and I have 3.

Another problem is that on the 2nd of April in 1871, the England Census requires every household to complete the census form and record the details of those residing at their specific addresses etc. The enumerators will deliver the census forms a few days prior to this date. It is an offence not to complete the paperwork and everybody has been informed of the upcoming census and what they should do.

The danger to me is that this record, at any time in the future, could prove that I did not meet the basic requirement to become a City of London Police Constable in 1871. It would automatically prove I had falsified information on my official ''Declaration to become a City of London Police Constable form'' and therefore I could be sacked at any time. My future would not be secure.

Therefore, my plan is that my wife Elizabeth Watkins will complete the census for 2 Bramley Street, Walmer Road and will be recorded as the head of the family and will state that she and two of our children are residing at the property. The third child will not be put on any census records and can either stay in the family home or even go to her grandparents at 3 Bramley Street, Walmer Road. This is the home of my parents, John and Elizabeth Watkins.

I Edward Watkins will board at Mr Edwin P Greggs Coffee House at 2 Great Charlotte Street in Southwark, on the 2nd of April in 1871 and this action will give me some form of plausible deniability regarding the completion of the census form. I will make sure Edwin knows that because I am a Police Constable, he must ensure I am recorded on the England Census. I could stay either one night or even several nights.

I Police Constable Edward Watkins leave the Metropolitan Police on the 15th of May in 1871.

I Edward Watkins applied for the City of London Police on the 22nd of May in 1871.

I Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins become officially a member of the City of London Police from the 25th of May in 1871.

All done and now I am safe................but I can't understand why only having 2 children would make me a better Police Constable, rather than the 3 children I have?

SS852363 (2).JPG

SS852364 (2).JPG

SS852374 (2).JPG

SS852383 (2).JPG

SS852387 (2).JPG

SS852377 (2).JPG

SS852393 (2).JPG

• 4 weeks later...

''Who is this George Compton.''

When I originally bought this medal from the previous owner, it came with a 'major dealer's compliment slip' from where he had purchased the medal and a newspaper article relating to a ''Jack the Ripper suspect'' that had the same name as inscribed on the medal but no Metropolitan Police history could be found.

The medal was the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1887 and was awarded to ''PC G Compton H divn.'' The newspaper article stated that a ''George Compton'' had been arrested for acting suspiciously and was considered a suspect for the Jack the Ripper murders and that this was his second arrest for acting suspiciously, in November of 1888.

The potential problem with such medals, is that somebody who was in Whitechapel or 'H' division in July of 1887, may not have been there in late 1888 when ''Jack the Ripper'' was carrying out his dreadful deeds. Therefore it is important to find some way to verify that the individual appears to be or was on the Whitechapel establishment during this period and there are some examples where you cannot complete such a task realistically and this would affect the medals value. 

I was lucky, as I found his Police pension records and this allowed me to do further research on his life. George Compton was born in Cheltenham, in Gloucestershire, on the 15th of December in 1842.

Police Constable George Compton joined the Metropolitan Polce on the 5th of December in 1870 and was assigned to Bow or 'K' division.

Police Constable George Compton transferred to Whitechapel of 'H' division on the 30th of June in 1880.

Police Constable George Compton retired on pension on the 30th of June in 1888 and his pension records are dated from the 5th of July in 1888.Therefore he completed 18 years service and the last 8 years were with the Whitechapel or 'H' division. It seems interesting to me, that he was pensioned off with only a total of 18 years service and he was only 45 years of age and with no listed injuries etc.

Therefore he would have been serving in Whitechapel when Emma Smith was attacked on the 2nd of April in 1888 and who died the next day but most people would agree she was probably not a ''Ripper'' victim. Police Constable George Compton would certainly have known all the main Whitechapel police who were investigating and hunting for Jack the Ripper and would have known the local people and the area of Whitechapel very well. 

George Compton retires from the Metropolitan Police and was residing at 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green. 

Approximately 4 weeks later Martha Tabram is murdered on the 7th of August in 1888 and the terror begins.

In July of 1888, George Compton's physical description is as follows, 45 years old, has dark hair, hazel eyes and a florid [reddish] complexion and is five feet seven and three-quarter inches tall. George Compton's marriage also appears to collapse sometime between the last quarter of 1888 and the first quarter of 1891 and we can evidence this in the England Census records for 1891.

In 1888, during the reign of Jack the Ripper, London was awash with Police activity and much of the general public was on high alert to try and capture this fiend.

'''The Incident.'''

Basically, a number of men in a Beer House in Fish Street Hill, were talking about the murders and a Mr Brown from 9 Dorset Street, noticed what looked like dried blood stains, on the stranger's coat who was in their company. The stranger said it was paint and because the coat was loose fitting, it was noticed there was dried blood stains on the man's shirt. The stranger then admitted it was blood and gave some contradictory statements respecting his place of residence and where he worked. The stranger then left the Beer House immediately and Mr Brown followed him. On passing Bishopsgate Police Station the stranger was identified by Mr Brown and handed over to the Police. The prisoner's name was George Compton and he protested loudly about being arrested in a public street, fearing he could have been lynched. A few days before a Police Constable had arrested George Compton in Shadwell dur to his suspicious behavior and so the Police checked his story and he was later released. 

This incident was circulated in a number of newspapers, including newspapers outside of the London area, in November of 1888.

The story has since been repeated in various publication, books and forums etc. 

There has been discussions that Police Constable George Compton is the same George Compton that is referred to in the newspaper article. 

I am not a ''Ripperologist'' so I do not know of the background information which relates to that theory.

Therefore it is my intention to consider what might be the reasons for ex-police constable George Compton's strange behavior and getting involved in the Jack the Ripper story, in such an awkward way.

[a] George Compton may have desired ''fame and glory'' because for anybody that could assist in the capture of ''Jack the Ripper'' there would have been instant and tangible fame and glory. He would become a Victorian hero and would have been considerably rewarded. George Compton was an ex-police constable but helping to capture the Ripper, then he would be recognized as one of the London's greatest Policemen.

[b] George Compton had worked the streets of Whitechapel for his last 8 years of service with the Metropolitan Police and so knew the people and area very well. He knew which Beer and Public Houses to frequent for asking his questions and just listening to the tittle tattle. He would have observed Whitechapel detectives carrying out their work and studied their procedures and tactics. It did not have to be a full time undertaking, it might just be a few hours here and there but properly organized. He could keep away from people and places where he would be recognized or go to known individuals and places where he was more likely to be given information and help. It is a fact that when somebody steps out of their uniform, then they become more difficult to recognize and it should be remembered George Compton had already been retired from the Metropolitan Police for 4 months. George Compton probably had ''tine on his hands'' to try a little detective work and being a pensioner it would have been easy for him to arrange such activities around his average day. On should remember that Whitechapel and London would have been swarming with individuals and groups of men, all attempting to succeed in the same way.

[c] On retiring from the Metropolitan Police George Compton remained in London and was residing at 115 Finnis Street, in Bethnal Green and would have had his own network of friends, colleagues and acquaintances in the area to assist him. The problem was new information was most likely to come from listening and talking about the murders with strangers etc but this also had the possibility of making the listener/talker a 'suspicious character' as well.

[d] The George Compton who was arrested outside Bishopsgate Police Station knew immediately the dangers if such an action. There had been incidents where individuals were almost lynched when arrested by the Police in public areas. George Compton knew of this danger and complained bitterly to the Duty Inspector  about the danger he had been put in. He also openly explained to the Inspector about being arrested a few days before in Shadwell. Many people would have kept quiet about the previous arrest so why did this George Compton say anything. I believe, it was because he knew that the Duty Inspector would automatically check with the other Police Station involved in the previous incident and who had cleared his name just a few days before and this procedure would result in George Compton gaining an earlier release. If this is the ex-policeman George Compton, he would have definitely explained about what he had been doing and why and that he was a retired Metropolitan Police Constable and again this would have resulted in his early release but I do not believe, under any circumstances, the City of London Police would have released this information. There were great dangers during this period of the ''mobs'' blaming groups of people for the murders ie Jews, foreigners, slaughtermen and maybe they would begin to think it was a Policeman who was doing the murders and so that is why he always escaped. 

[d] Interesting questions that will probably never be answered........

Was Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins on duty at Bishopsgate Police Station when George Compton was arrested?

Was the arrested George Compton, the same ex-policeman George Compton  and was he searching for information on Jack the Ripper.

I am sure George Compton [ex-PC] was just an ordinary man who would not have stood out in a crowd but I now stand corrected because my wife said ''if you have a red faced complexion, you will probably stand out in a group.''

The End.   

SS852462 (2).JPG

SS852465 (3).JPG

SS852489 (2).JPG

SS852486 (2).JPG

SS852488 (2).JPG

SS852481 (2).JPG

SS852477 (2).JPG

SS852484 (2).JPG

SS852479 (2).JPG

SS852453 (2).JPG

SS852459 (2).JPG

SS852452 (2).JPG

Hi,

This is just to ensure everybody understands..........I am not saying these two George Comptons are the same person but rather I am putting the case that they could be the same individual.

Hopefully one day further details will emerge that will prove the case one way or another.

I struggled typing the last article so there are a few errors within the previous input. 

SS852453 (2).JPG

Hi,

''George Compton and the Fish Street Hill incident.''

Here are some of the 'George Compton/Fish Street Hill incident' newspaper articles etc covering the event.

[a] Echo newspaper. George Compton and the Fish Street Hill incident, dated 12/11/1888. 

[b] Irish Times. As above and dated 12/11/1888.

[c] Morning Advertiser [London] As above and dated 12/11/1888.

[d] Cardiff Times. George Compton and the Fish Street Hill incident, dated 17/11/1888.

[e] '''The Lodge.'' George Compton and the Fish Street Hill incident, page 147 in the book by Stewart Evans and Paul Gainay. 

Dates of the Incidents.

[a]  Monday the 12th of November in 1888, most of the newspaper articles were written on that Monday.

[b] Sunday the 11th of November in 1888, appears to be the day the incident occurred with George Compton in Fish Street Hill.

[c] Saturday the 10th of November in 1888, this appears to be the day and date that George Compton was arrested in Shadwell for acting suspiciously.

[d] Saturday the 3rd of November in 1888, is the possible date for the incident, if they were referring to the week before.

Here are some basic details on Police Constable George Compton and where he was residing over the years

[a] 17/12/1874. George Compton marries Faith Reynolds at St Peter, Mile End Old Town, Tower Hamlets. [George Compton born Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, 15/12/1842. Faith Reynold recorded in both Bradford/Thornton, Yorkshire in 1846.]

[b] 1881 to 1885, residing at 115 Old Church Road, Mile End Old Town, Tower Hamlets. Wife - Faith Compton nee Reynolds is employed as an 'upholsteress' and they have no children.

[c] 5/7/1888. George Compton retires on pension from the Metropolitan Police and is presently residing at 115 Finnis Street and that is where he will continue to stay. [George Compton states he is married and his wife is his next of kin.]

[d] 1891 census, George Compton is residing at 3 Septre Street, in Whitechapel and his wife is now recorded as Jane Compton nee Howell. [Probably they are common law and her 3 children are also residing in the family home Elizabeth Howell 14, James A Howell 12 and William G Howell 9.]

[e] 1891 census, George Compton's original wife can be found residing elsewhere and obviously has started a new life.

[f] 1898 between July and September, George Compton dies and the death is registered in the District of Mile End Old Town.

SS852498 (2).JPG

SS852507 (2).JPG

SS852510 (2).JPG

SS852512 (3).JPG

SS852453 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have heard and seen it stated that 'Jack the Ripper' was the first real serial killer that the world truly witnessed. He sought out prostitutes from Whitechapel and the East End of London, cutting their throats and then mutilating their bodies whenever the chance prevailed. Most experts agree that the 'canonical five' can be considered his work and these were 'Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes and Mary Jane Kelly.' Jack the Ripper's above murder spree covered a period from the 31st of August in 1888 to the 9th of November in 1888. As his hideous handywork continued through these few months, his actions became more and more depraved and ended with the massive mutilation of Mary Jane Kelly in her room, at 13 Miller's Court, in Dorset Street. The murderous work of Jack the Ripper created extensive newspaper coverage, not only in London and not only in the country but it included extensive international notoriety for this fiendish serial killer from Whitechapel. 

I don't think PC 881 Edward Watkins would have described 'Jack the Ripper' as a 'serial killer' as this is a more modern description, for a specific type of 'killer' but Jack the Ripper is definitely the modern-day example of such a murderer.

Now we go further back in history, in fact, 50 years back............

In 1823 an 'Act' was passed which dramatically reduced the number of crimes that were punishable by death which was good news for some of the unfortunates in life but bad news for Edinburgh's anatomical schools etc. Scottish law required that corpses used for medical research should only come from those who had died in prison, suicide victims or from foundlings and orphans. This shortage of corpses led to an increase in body snatching by those that were known as 'resurrection men.' These were the men who dug up the newly buried cadavers, evading the watch towers, large slabs and iron grills put on top of the newly dug graves in an attempt to protect families loved ones from the resurrectionists.

The fresher the body that could be supplied, the greater the financial reward that could be gained and this basic fact led to ''William Burke and William Hare's'' entry into the murder business. Why attempt to steal bodies from the cemeteries when all you needed to do was smother an individual and then take them directly to the anatomical services.

William Burke appears to have been the more intelligent of the two men and also the more religious.

William Hare by all accounts was 'illiterate and uncouth, quarrelsome and an immoral character.' The Burke and Hare partnership operated for about 10 months, in the West Port area of Edinburgh, in 1828 and they managed to murder 16 people. They were assisting in providing the cadavers that were required by the private anatomical Doctor Robert Knox who often had hundreds of spectators/students paying to view his dissection classes. I believe, the least Burke and Hare received was £7.10 shillings and they often received £10 per body. These were huge sums of money in 1828 and since William Hare and his wife managed a lodging house in Tanner's Close, in the West Port area of the town which serviced the poor of Edinburgh in need of cheap accommodation, then this is where most of the murders took place. They would apply the victim with large amounts of alcohol and then hold the individual down whilst often just using their hands to smother the victim's mouth and nose. This practice later became known as 'Burking.' Both William Burke's partner/wife and William Hare's partner/wife knew what was taking place but did not enter into directly assisting with the actual murders. 

Burke and Hare became greedy for the money and soon no one was safe in the area. A young prostitute called 'Mary Patterson' who was very attractive and well known in the area fell victim to their practices. It is believed some of the students who eventually observed her dissection thought they knew the cadaver and so Doctor Robert Knox had her head shaven to change her appearance before the main dissection event. 

Burke and Hare were very cruel and this is particularly true when they murdered an elderly grandmother and then took her blind young grandson and Burke broke the child's back across his knee. 

Another victim was 'Daft Jamie' a well-known local young man with a deformed foot who survived through begging in the streets and was regarded as being totally inoffensive. Again, students thought they recognised the cadaver and so Doctor Robert Knox first removed the head and deformed foot before engaging in the main dissection lecture. 

The final victim was killed on the 31st of October in 1828 and was Margaret Docherty, a middle-aged Irish woman but this time her body was seen by other lodgers 'Ann and James Gray' who were determined to inform the authorities. William Burke and William Hare and their partners were arrested for murder but the authorities were lacking the evidence needed for a conviction and so they offered William Hare 'immunity from prosecution if he turned king's evidence.' 

On Christmas Eve in 1828, the trial for murder began against William Burke and his wife. The trial resulted in a death sentence against William Burke and a 'not proven' verdict against his common law wife. 

On the morning of the 28th of January in 1829, in front of a crowd of 25,000 people, William Burke was hanged and later his body was dissected by Professor Monro in the anatomy theatre of the university's Old College. Burke's skeleton was given to the Anatomical Museum of the Edinburgh Medical School where it remains to this day, along with his death mask and a book bound with his skin.

William Hare was later release and quickly left Scotland as the mobs would have shown him no mercy. Both the wives of Burke and Hare also disappeared from Edinburgh again fearing for their safety. The authorities also helped to get these individuals safely away from Edinburgh and they then disappeared into history.

Burke and Hare and their partners were hardened drinker and extremely cold and calculating individuals. William Hare gave his statement on the murders but so did William Burke as he prepared to meet his maker. It is said Burke could not sleep at night unless he had a bottle of whiskey by his bed and that he needed a two pence candle to be illuminated all night or again he would not sleep. It is also said he was haunted by some of the murders he had committed like the little blind boy and especially how he broke the child's back over his knee. 

The dangers, especially to William Hare were that he was known, not only in Edinburgh for what he had been party to but in Scotland and probably this included over the border in England so he had to remain anonymous to survive and to get as far away from Edinburgh and Scotland as possible.

This case is 50 years before Jack the Ripper and they murdered many more individuals and the murders extended over a longer period, than Jack the Ripper's reign of terror. So maybe this is a better case for the title of Scotland's/Britain's first serial killer case but 'Jack the Ripper' was a serial killer that shocked the world.

Everybody has heard of 'Burke and Hare' but I just found a book written in 1884 about the case but I have not yet read it. Hopefully it might have some interesting points to highlight.

SS852585 (2).JPG

SS852581 (2).JPG

SS852559 (2).JPG

SS852563 (2).JPG

SS852611 (2).JPG

SS852609 (2).JPG

SS852520 (2).JPG

SS852528 (2).JPG

SS852602 (2).JPG

SS852538 (2).JPG

Here we have a photo of the famous actor ''Harry Andrews'' who played Doctor Robert Knox in the 1972 version of ''Burke and Hare'' and here is an example of a Edinburgh theatre programme that was around at the end Burke and Hare's partnership in 1828. 

SS852543 (2).JPG

SS852569 (2).JPG

SS852570 (2).JPG

SS852558 (2).JPG

SS852609 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi,

'''A quick review of Police Constable 697 John Jukes medal group and service with the City of London Police.'''

This is just a very quick review of 'City of London Police Constable 697 John Jukes medals and service' and I will complete his full career history etc sometime in 2023.

Police Constable 697 John Jukes served during the same period as Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins ie from at least 1885 and until Edward Watkins retired on pension in 1896.

We can evidence this as John Jukes marries Eliza Ingram at Clerkenwell, Islington, on the 7th of February in 1885 and he is recorded as being employed as a Police Constable and they were both residing in the City of London.

Awarded the City of London Queen Victoria Jubilee medal for 1887.

PC 697 John Jukes served with the City of London Police during the Jack the Ripper murder campaign.

In the England Census of 1891, John Jukes is still a Police Constable.

In 1894, we have an Old Bailey trial record that states he is now, 'City of London Police Sergeant 47 John Jukes.'

Awarded the City of London Queen Victoria Jubilee Clasp for 1897.

In the England Census of 1901, John Jukes is now a City of London Police Inspector.

Awarded the City of London Coronation medal for 1902.

Awarded the City of London Coronation medal for 1911.

In the England Census of 1911, John Jukes is now a Police Pensioner.

.....The City of London Police, as did the Metropolitan Police, always appear to recall their pensioned colleagues first, for the additional manpower required, to manage the Jubilee or Coronation events.....

In the England Census of 1939, it is nice to know that both John and his wife Eliza Jukes are still around and residing in Ringwood and Fordingbridge, in Hampshire and he was recorded as being a retired District Inspector, City of London Police.

This is a very nice group of medals because these City of London Police medals are much rarer than the Metropolitan Police medals covering the same period and the rarest group of medals cover the full period from 1887 to 1911.

It is also good that he rose through the ranks to reach the rank of City of London District Inspector.

But the most important reason which makes this group of medals particularly interesting, is that John Jukes is recorded as being a 'City of London Detective' on the 2nd of November in 1888. This can be evidenced through an Old Bailey trial record which confirms he is a City of London Detective on the trial date of the 19th of November in 1888.

At present, I am not sure if John Jukes was permanently employed within the Detective department of the City of London Police or was he one of Sir Henry Smith's [Acting City of London Police Commissioner in 1888] men who were placed on plain clothes duties to hunt for Jack the Ripper. I believe, in August of 1888, he reassigned approximately 200 or more of his men to these special plain clothes duties and this was probably about a third of his total establishment of Police Constables. I think Sir Henry Smith was a man of great perception because he told this force, 'to do the things which under normal circumstances a constable should not do.' 

They were 'to hang about Public Houses, to gossip with all and sundry, to sit around smoking their pipes etc.'

In addition they visited every butcher's shop in the City of London and every nook and cranny that could be used as consealment for any murders or by the murderer.

I don't known of any lists or records for these City of London Policemen that were selected and placed on these plain clothes duties during this period and so finding an appropriate record which can evidence such an individual is extremely fortunate.

Another very interesting point is that City of London Police Constable 697 John Jukes [later Inspector John Jukes] personal file has survived and is available through the London Metropolitan Archives and I will request a copy of this file at a latter date in 2023.

Therefore John Jukes story might be enhanced by the opening of his City of London Police personal file.

SS852617 (2).JPG

SS852619 (2).JPG

SS852623 (2).JPG

SS852624 (2).JPG