News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PC 881 Edward Watkins City of London Police

Here we have some basic details on Police Sergeant Archibald Edward Sawyer who is Arthur Sawyer's son. This is the final part in this Metropolitan Police ''Sawyer family story'' of service with the Constabulary.

On the 18th of December in 1885, Archibald Edward Sawyer is born in Stepney in London.

Archibald Edward Sawyer's father is Arthur Sawyer who is a Police Constable with the Metropolitan Police.

On the 25th of February in 1907, Archibald Edward Sawyer joins the Metropolitan Police and is issued with the warrant number of 94267 and is assigned to Islington or 'N' division.

On the 29th of February in 1932, Station Police Sergeant Archibald Edward Sawyer retires on pension from Bow or 'K' division and the Metropolitan Police.

In 1932 Archibald Edward Sawyer is described as being 46 years old, five feet and nine and a half inches tall, has dark brown hair, brown eyes and a fresh complexion.

SS850511 (2).JPG

SS850515 (2).JPG

This is just a quick and small correction to Arthur Sawyer's details........

Arthur Sawyer was born on the 28th of April in 1850 and was baptised on the 25th of May in 1851 at Saint Paul, in  Hammersmith, Hammersmith and Fulham. This means he was 21 years old when he joined the Metropolitan Police. I had originally stated he was born in 1852 which was a mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we have a small but interesting article from the Dundee Courier, dated Wednesday the 10th of October in 1877.

Therefore the story is 143 years old and is titled '''London Policemen and their Beards - City of London Policemen denied the right to have beards.'''

London Policemen and their Beards - London City Police Constables are complaining of the regulation which denies them the privilege long since conceded to the Metropolitan Police of wearing beards and moustaches. ''Of course writes one, if beards are wrong in one place, they are wrong in another.''

In Victorian London, especially as early as 1877, I would suspect many men would rather have facial hair than shave every day and that during the winter months this would be especially true. 

Did the City of London Police think their men looked smarter when ''clean shaven'' or was it a personal safety issue ie to stop attackers gaining an advantage by grabbing the beards of the Policemen etc. When you look at some of the old photographs of Victorian Policemen ........ their beards are certainly full on and extensive in size but that suggestion would not explain the regulation which denied them having moustaches. 

SS850672 (2).JPG

SS850671 (2).JPG

• 9 months later...

The following medal group has not yet been fully researched, as I was off-line for quite a while and so the research is still to be followed up. It is a very nice group including the full entitlement of the 1887 metropolitan police jubilee medal and 1897 jubilee clasp and the coronation medals of 1902 and 1911.

Police Constable Matthew Gibson, summary of service with Whitechapel or 'H' division.

On the 13th of August in 1886, Matthew Gibson Simpson joined the Metropolitan Police and was assigned to Westminster or 'B' division and was given the warrant number of 72128.

After approximately only 2 months, Police Constable Matthew Simpson was transferred to Whitechapel of 'H' division.

In 1887, Police Constable Matthew Simpson was awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for being on duty for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Parade through London. The medal was awarded whilst he was serving in Whitechapel or 'H' division.

Police Constable Matthew Gibson Simpson was serving in Whitechapel or 'H' division during the period, ''Jack the Ripper,'' was murdering his victims.

On the 3rd of April in 1888, there was the assault, robbery and rape of Emma Elizabeth Smith who died a short period after the attack. I am listing all the deaths.

On the 6th of August in 1888, there was the murder of Martha Tabram who was stabbed 39 times and died on the 1st floor landing, in George Yard Building.

On the 30th of August in 1888, there was the murder of Mary Ann [Polly] Nichols who was brutally murdered and mutilated in Brick Lane.

On the 8th of September in 1888, there was the murder of Annie Chapman who was brutally murdered and mutilated at 29 Hanbury Street.

The murders of Mary Ann [Polly] Nichols and Annie Chapman are both classified as the first two murder victims which make up the, ''canonical five.'' These are the five murder victims that are considered, by most experts, to have been killed by, ''Jack the Ripper.''

On the 17th of September in 1888, Police Constable Matthew Simpson was transferred to Wandsworth of 'V' division. I would suspect that this transfer was one of the last transfers out of Whitechapel in September of 1888. In fact, Police Order 10/10/1888 lists over 40 Police Constables which were permanently transferred into Whitechapel or 'H' divisional establishment to bring the division more up to strength and therefore more able to deal with the additional requirement for hunting Jack the Ripper.

So far I have not found a reason why this transfer went through whilst Whitechapel or 'H' division was under so much pressure. His young daughter died but later I found out she actually died in 1893 so this was not the reason. Further research is continuing. 

Police Constable Matthew Simpson spent the remainder of his career within Wandsworth or 'V' division and retired from this division on the 18th of August in 1911. 

Police Constable Matthew Simpson's medal group is particularly nice because he was awarded all the medals and the clasp, dating from 1887 to 1911. It is also nice to have the whole group to use a another form of evidence whilst verifying the individual etc. 

SS850973 (2).JPG

SS850976 (2).JPG

SS850980 (2).JPG

SS850981 (2).JPG

SS850983 (2).JPG

SS850985 (2).JPG

SS850988 (2).JPG

SS850991 (2).JPG

SS850992 (2).JPG

Police Constable Matthew Gibson Simpson in 1911 was......

5 feet and 8 and a half inches tall.

Brown hair turning grey.

Blue eyes.

Fresh complexion.

Scar on 3rd finger right hand.

Born in Plumstead, in Kent, on the 11/9/1862.

Wife - Harriett Simpson [nee Horton].

Age on retiring was 49.

Completed - 25 years and 5 days.

SS850997 (2).JPG

SS851000 (2).JPG

SS851001 (2).JPG

One point I forgot to list was that by September of 1888 [if I remember correctly] it was the newspapers that started to connect the deaths of Emma Elizabeth Smith and Martha Tabram with the deaths of Mary Ann [Polly] Nichols and Annie Chapman. 

Police Constable Matthew Gibson Simpson and family........

Matthew Gibson Simpson was born on the 11th of September in 1862, in Plumstead in London. The birth was registered in Lewisham.

Wife - Harriett Simpson [nee Horton] was born in Chart Sutton in Kent, in 1855.

Marrried - Matthew Gibson Simpson and Harriett Horton married in Lewisham on the 27/11/1886.

Daughter - Constance Simpson was born in Mile End Old Town on the 19/9/1887.

Father -  Matthew Gibson Simpson's father was George Simpson and he was born in Scarborough in Yorkshire, in 1820.

Mother - Matthew Gibson Simpson's mother was Clara Simpson and she was born in Woolwich in Kent, in 1829.

Died - Matthew Gibson Simpson died in 1947, in Dethowne Sutton, in Valence Road, near Maidstone. Matthew's estate was left to Rose Hannah Horton [spinster].

SS850973 (2).JPG

SS850976 (2).JPG

The daughter................................

On the 19th of September in 1887, at Mile End Old Town, Matthew Gibson Simpson's wife Harriett Simpson gave birth to their only child, ''Constance Simpson.''

Unfortunately, their only child, Constance Simpson died, aged 6, in 1893 between October to December.

The death was registered in Wandsworth.

• 2 weeks later...

Fireman William Gill [London Fireman].

Is it possible that Fireman William Gill might have known some of the Whitechapel or 'H' division policemen who were hunting Jack the Ripper - researching this is still ongoing.

William Gill was born in Lyme Regis in Dorset in 1850 but we want to fast forward to the early 1880's when he is recorded as being employed as a 'Fireman' with the London Fire Brigade.

We do not know exactly when William Gill joined the London Fire Brigade but with the birth of his second daughter 'Bessie Jane Gill' in 1879, the family are recorded as residing at 153 Great Portland Street and the registration district was Marylebone and that William Gill was employed as a Fireman.

When his wife 'Emma Gill' gave birth to their third daughter 'Clara Maud Gill' in 1881, the family were residing at Amhurst Road Fire Station in Hackney.

In the England Census of 1881, we find the Gill family are residing at 8 Broad Street [Glass Warehouse] Ratchiffe, in the Borough of Tower Hamlets and that he is still employed as a Fireman.

William and Emma Gill have a fourth daughter 'Amelia Gill' who was recorded as being born in Hackney in London in 1884. William Gill is still in the service of the Fire Brigade.

By the England Census of 1891, Fireman William Gill is serving at Commercial Road Fire Station in Whitechapel and his family are residing in the flats which are located above the Fire Station.

Therefore sometime between 1884 and 1891 Fireman William Gill was transferred to the Commercial Road Fire Station in Whitechapel and it would be reasonable to suspect he may have been serving in this Fire Station during the Jack the Ripper murders but this is still to be evidenced.

The Police and the Fire Brigade have always had close ties because in emergencies they often have to work closely together. Therefore the local Firemen often knew the local Police Officers. It is possible that some of the Whitechapel or 'H' division Police personnel mentioned in the previous entries could have been aware of the Fire Brigade personnel working in the Commercial Road Fire Station.

I have added the story of an incident that took place in Commercial Road, in October of 1888 and gives an insight into Victorian real-life drama.

Fireman William Gill was awarded the following medals...........Queen Victoria Jubilee medal for 1897, Coronation medal for 1902 and the Fire Brigade Long Service and Good Conduct medal. In the England Census of 1911, he was recorded as being a 'Fire Brigade Pensioner.'

SS851065 (2).JPG

SS851077 (2).JPG

SS851082 (2).JPG

SS851085 (2).JPG

SS851074 (2).JPG

SS851080 (2).JPG

SS851058 (3).JPG

This might be a better photograph of the story from the Daily News which was released on the 19th of October in 1888. [JTR Casebook]

Headed ''''Exciting scenes at a fire in Whitechapel.''''

SS851064 (2).JPG

SS851056.JPG

Here is a second report regarding the fire at 25 Commercial Street in Whitechapel.

The article is from the Evening News, on the 19th of October in 1888.

''Fire in Whitechapel. 200 persons in danger.''

A fire, attended with some exciting incidents, broke out at ten o'clock last night at 25 Commercial Street in Whitechapel, a five floored warehouse, tenanted by Messrs. [Koenigsberg] and Sons, furriers and manufacturers. Some 200 workpeople, male and female, were employed in the building at the time and a scene of the greatest confusion took place as they rushed down the main staircase. When the fire escape arrived it rescued several people but one man named 'Simon Polaket' aged 30, jumped from the first floor and sustained considerable injury. With this exception, however so far as could be ascertained, the whole of the workpeople escaped safely. Eleven steamers, as well as standpipes, were at work and although a spread of the conflagration was threatened, the fire was fairly in hand by midnight. The three upper floors of the place had then been gutted, the roof destroyed and the rest of the building greatly damaged while adjoining properties had sustained serious injury.

I have enclosed a copy of an article from the ''Evening News'' regarding the night of the ''double murders'' committed by ''Jack the Ripper.''

It refers to the murders of Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes.

It was City of London Policeman 881 Edward Watkins who found the body in Mitre Square of Catherine Eddowes.

The article states, ''''A watchman was on duty at a counting-house in the square at the time the assassin was operating. Firemen were also on duty at a station close by. Yet nobody heard or saw anything likely to rouse suspicion.''''

I am not a ripperologist nor do I have any real knowledge of London's topography. This is the first time I have heard of the Fire Station and that it was close enough to have potentially saw or heard the murder.

So does anybody know if there is such a Fire Station and would it have been close enough to have potentially heard anything? 

regards,

Alan.

SS851092 (2).JPG

The Evening News article from Monday the 1st of October in 1888, I find is a bit confusing to say the least.

It is also factually wrong because it states that Elizabeth Stride was mutilated when it was only Catherine Eddowes that suffered this fate.

The suggestion of ''Firemen on duty at the station close by'' does not appear to relate to the ''Mitre Square murder'' but would be more likely to relate to the ''Bernard Street murder.''

Bernard Street joins onto Commercial Road in Whitechapel and the Whitechapel/Commercial Road Fire Station would be nearby - I suspect.

I suppose this is an example of taking some of these news articles with a pinch of salt.

SS851077 (2).JPG

SS851092 (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article and it looks like I got it wrong.......

The Mitre Square Tragedy.'

The Evening News article, 'The Whitechapel Horrors,' dated Monday the 1st of October in 1888 which related to the Catherine Eddowes murder in Mitre Square, stated the following :-

''''A watchman was on duty at a counting-house in the square at the time the assassin was operating. Firemen were also on duty at a Fire Station close by. Yet, nobody heard or saw anything likely to rouse suspicion.''''

In the publication, ''The Ripper Reports by T M Thorne,'' page 102 and relating to the paragraph, ''The Mitre Square Tragedy,'' '' it states :-

''Mitre Square is a sort of huge yard about 120 feet square and there are three entrances to it, the principal being from Mitre Street which is broad enough to accommodate two vehicles abreast. There is a short covered court, about 20 yards long leading onto St James Place, another square popularly known as, ''The Orange Market,'' in the centre of which is a urinal, a street fire station consisting of a wagon on wheels and also a permanent street fire station in the course of erection. There is also a fire-escape [wagon with a fire escape ladder] there at night and three men of the Metropolitan Brigade are always on duty until daylight etc.''

That appears to validate the original article from the Evening News, dated the 1st of October in 1888, when they stated that ''''firemen were stationed nearby and saw and heard nothing.''''   

SS851092 (2).JPG

SS851108 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...

''''A photograph of Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins.''''

There is a famous photograph of City of London Police serving at Bishopsgate Police Station having been awarded and received their Queen Victoria City of London Police Jubilee medal for 1887. They appear to be gathered on a section of the Police Station roof. If you go into ''JTR casebook'' and search under ''City of London Police 1887 - photograph'' you will find a much clearer view of the photograph. [Stewart Evans/JTR Casebook].

I have viewed this photograph on many occasions over the years but I have never really examined the photograph properly.

If you study the few sketches and other material available describing Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins and compare this against the Police Constable who is standing on the extreme left and at the end of the 4th row up from the bottom, I believe this is him.

Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins is standing behind Sergeant Phelps. I have included photographs so that others can do their own comparisons. The portrait of Edward Watkins was done by a family friend who is a professional artist and from an original sketch. It was completed by comparing other similar examples of his facial features etc to build up Edward Watkins portrait and not by using artistic licence.

After several hours of studying the photograph, I believe this is Edward Watkins but others may think differently. I hope the attachments come out clearly enough for a good comparison.

SS851118 (3).JPG

SS851115 (2).JPG

SS857227 (3).JPG

pc watkins bishopsgate No 2.jpg

Watkins no3.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate 5.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate No4.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate close up.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate No 2 (2).jpg

SS851118 (2).JPG

SS856727.JPG

It might be easier to see Edward Watkins in these photographs.

Imagine your looking at the front elevation of the sketch, instead of the usual side elevation they usually show. Helmet on and his facial features are sort of flat in appearance.

bishopsgate police 1887 dark copy.jpg

SS851127 (2).JPG

SS851126 (2).JPG

SS851133 (2).JPG

bishopsgate police 1887 dark copy.jpg

True it is just a theory...............but PC Edward Watkins was serving at Bishopsgate in 1887 and obviously later and received the medal. 

Therefore if he was on duty that day, he would be in the photograph.

They gathered 40 plus city police officers together for this special event. 

Such an official photographic record would have been carefully orchestrated especially since there would have been a fair cost in producing this record.

If you take Inspector Joseph Helson of Bethnal Green or 'J' division who was heavily involved in the Jack the Ripper investigation - again- I've only ever seen a couple of newspaper sketches to identify him. These sketches can really vary in their value and quality, in helping to identify individuals but it is often all we have.

The one good thing, in my opinion, about Edward Watkins is that he appears to have a very distinctive face. I have always thought there was something sad showing in his face.

Alan.

SS851118 (3).JPG

SS851118 (2).JPG

Somebody asked me if City Station Sergeants [4 strips] were issued with collar numbers but I did not know the answer.

I have just realised Station Sergeant Byfield [2nd person in, 2nd row up from bottom right] definitely does have a collar number - makes sense.

Not really an important point. 

Here we have another photograph of City of London Policemen who are serving at Bishopsgate Police Station - taken on the roof of the Police Station once again.

I suspect the photograph was probably taken one or two years before Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1887.

That is now 45 Police Constable photographs from Bishopsgate Police station we have viewed and only one so far resembles Police Constable Edward Watkins. Obviously some of the individuals are to be found in both photographs. More research hopefully to come.

city-of-london-police 2nd photo no medals for gmic.jpg

city-of-london-police 2nd photo no medals gmic 2.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate No 2.jpg

Here we have some scene sketches which show PC 881 Edward Watkins finding Catherine Eddowes body and holding back some people. 

These are sketches of the actions/scenes involved and are not meant to be realistic sketches of Edward Watkins.

[a] PC Watkins finding the body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square.

[b] A modern reproduction of an original sketch showing PC Watkins holding back some individuals.

[c] The back of the reproduction sketch photograph with details of the originator ie Daily Telegraph Art department  1987.

illustrated-police-news-finding-catherine-eddowes not very good sized.jpg

SS851139 (2).JPG

SS851145 (2).JPG

Police Constable 882 Joseph Phipps..........................

It is certainly reasonable to suggest that PC 882 Joseph Phipps could easily be on of the Police Constables shown in the photographs. He obviously spent his whole City Police career at Bishopsgate Police Station which is confirmed by his collar number [882] remaining throughout his service. Unlike PC 881 Edward Watkins who later transferred to another station/division and who's collar number then became 944.

Here is another sketch from the publication ''Jack the Ripper - Scotland Yard Investigates.'' page 118.

It is easier to compare when you place your hand over Edward Watkins forehead/top of his head ie Scotland Yard Investigates sketch. Many of the sketches are from a side elevation and that makes it more difficult to imagine the portrait turned to a frontal position. 

another edward watkins new one.jpg

pc watkins bishopsgate 5.jpg

SS851126 (2).JPG

SS851133 (2).JPG

28th of May in 1896, City Police Constable Edward Watkins retired on pension from the City of London Police and the following is his physical description at that time............

Height - five feet nine and three quarter inches.

Age - 52 years and 11 months.

Grey eyes.

Brown hair.

Fresh complexion.

note ... his collar number is now 944.

Obviously he was approximately 8 years younger in 1887 when the Bishopsgate Jubilee photograph was taken. 

SS851185 (2).JPG

SS851159 (2).JPG

SS851168 (2).JPG

SS851179 (2).JPG

SS851163 (2).JPG

All- I have really enjoyed these posts, immensely interesting and great research by many. On a side note, I have three relatives who are said by the family to have served initially in the C of L police and then all transferred to Northumberland police where they completed their careers. I am amazed at the records you have all uncovered in your C of L and Metropolitan research, and therefore am seeking you advice and help on finding out about my relatives.

They were brothers Arthur STANWIX born 1909 died 1982, Lowther STANWIX born 1904 died 1977, and Thomas STANWIX (Dates unknown) who all originated in Cumbria. 

If anyone can point me towards sources to identify which force(s) they served in, and any on-line or other documents about Met and C of L personnel I would be most grateful.

Hi,

For information on the City of London Police, send an 'e' mail to the London Metropolitan Archives, at the following 'e' mail address.....

ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Explain you are a relative and give them all the details you have on the two individuals and ask if they can confirm if they have their personal records available and if the records are available what would be the most cost effective method of receiving a copy of such records. If I remember correctly, they would inform you of how many pages are within the personnel file and then detail the standard charges for copying files and electronically send you the forms to pay for charges for their copying service. It has been a couple of years since I last did this so things might have changed a little.  

With the surname being quite unusual, that will make the search much easier for the LMA.

The only problem might be if they are not back to normal working within the archives because of the ''''virus.''''

Hope this is of use to you, must go as my dogs are barking because they want out.....................

• 3 weeks later...

'''A reasonable theory why Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins applies for a transfer.'''

We know that Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins served at Bishopsgate Police Station from the day he joined the City of London Police and up until at least October of 1889 and he may well have continued to serve at Bishopsgate for a few years longer than that.

At approximately 1.44am on the 30th of September in 1888, finding the body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square changed his life forever. When you think, even today, people know his story, then imagine what it was like for Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins in late 1888 and the years afterwards. Sketches of Police Constable Watkins appeared in many newspapers and publications and overnight he became a Victorian celebrity and this was not just within the Bishopsgate station/division or within the City of London Police or within the London area but throughout the country. The name Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins was flashed around the world.

When he discovered Catherine Eddowes body in Mite Square, he had already competed approximately 18 years service at Bishopsgate Police Station and with the City of London Police. He would have been well known within his beat area and within the station's establishment and his personal record was clean of any misdemeanours for over 12 years.

So.............why would Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins, sometime in the future, want to change his life so drastically and request a transfer to another station/division?

I believe this change of attitude and station could revolve around what happened to him on the 14th of October in 1889. It is officially recorded that Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins was placed on report for, ''drinking malt liquor whilst on duty,'' and was reprimanded and pointedly cautioned by the Act of Commissioner.

Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins had previously been placed on a similar charge back in 1876 but the penalty that time was a reduction in pay for 3 months. Therefore to be simply reprimanded seems a much lessor penalty but the interesting point is that he was ''pointedly cautioned'' which means he was warned, in no uncertain terms, that if he did a similar offence, he would be given a much greater sentence.

This must have given Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins a real fright especially as he was getting closer to  completing his pensionable service and he actually retired on the 28th of May in 1896.

The City of London Police, I am sure, would prefer that they did not have to deal with such a well known and respected City of London Police Constable in a more severe or public manner.

The temptations within the Bishopsgate Police Station area must have been great, everybody wanting to speak to you or everybody wanting to buy you a drink etc. Suddenly becoming even more popular with the local community and everybody wanting to hear your story, straight from the horse's mouth as they would say.

Now after approximately 19 years of service with the Bishopsgate Police Station and as they would say, he had served there so long that he was, ''in with the bricks.'' It would have taken a very important reason for him to transfer to another station. That reason was self-preservation and the fame and temptations within the Bishopsgate Police Station area were too many to remain there.

This is just a theory and a reasonable one but cannot be verified but it is an interest story.

I still like the unidentified photographs attached as being of Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins. 

SS851423 (2).JPG

SS851425 (2).JPG

SS851115 (2).JPG

pc watkins bishopsgate No4.jpg

SS851429 (2).JPG

SS851126 (3).JPG

I forgot to say ...... Police Constable Edward Watkins new collar number is now ...... 944.

I can't remember what City of London station/division that collar number refers to. [944] Maybe somebody else will know that.