Here we have some basic details on Police Sergeant Archibald Edward Sawyer who is Arthur Sawyer's son. This is the final part in this Metropolitan Police ''Sawyer family story'' of service with the Constabulary.

On the 18th of December in 1885, Archibald Edward Sawyer is born in Stepney in London.

Archibald Edward Sawyer's father is Arthur Sawyer who is a Police Constable with the Metropolitan Police.

On the 25th of February in 1907, Archibald Edward Sawyer joins the Metropolitan Police and is issued with the warrant number of 94267 and is assigned to Islington or 'N' division.

On the 29th of February in 1932, Station Police Sergeant Archibald Edward Sawyer retires on pension from Bow or 'K' division and the Metropolitan Police.

In 1932 Archibald Edward Sawyer is described as being 46 years old, five feet and nine and a half inches tall, has dark brown hair, brown eyes and a fresh complexion.

SS850511 (2).JPG

SS850515 (2).JPG

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins served in the City of London Police from 15/5/1871 to 28/5/1896. Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins...…. his most famous moment was in the early h

Hi, Two years ago, the following medal was on sale on ebay. It caused a bit of a stir because it was sold for more than what, most people, expected. It appeared to be just a run-of-the-mill Metro

Here are some basic details on Police Constable James Sawyer who was Arthur Sawyer's father. Note that on his Metropolitan Police pension records it states that Police Constable James Sawyer retired o

Posted Images

This is just a quick and small correction to Arthur Sawyer's details........

Arthur Sawyer was born on the 28th of April in 1850 and was baptised on the 25th of May in 1851 at Saint Paul, in  Hammersmith, Hammersmith and Fulham. This means he was 21 years old when he joined the Metropolitan Police. I had originally stated he was born in 1852 which was a mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here we have a small but interesting article from the Dundee Courier, dated Wednesday the 10th of October in 1877.

Therefore the story is 143 years old and is titled '''London Policemen and their Beards - City of London Policemen denied the right to have beards.'''

London Policemen and their Beards - London City Police Constables are complaining of the regulation which denies them the privilege long since conceded to the Metropolitan Police of wearing beards and moustaches. ''Of course writes one, if beards are wrong in one place, they are wrong in another.''

In Victorian London, especially as early as 1877, I would suspect many men would rather have facial hair than shave every day and that during the winter months this would be especially true. 

Did the City of London Police think their men looked smarter when ''clean shaven'' or was it a personal safety issue ie to stop attackers gaining an advantage by grabbing the beards of the Policemen etc. When you look at some of the old photographs of Victorian Policemen ........ their beards are certainly full on and extensive in size but that suggestion would not explain the regulation which denied them having moustaches. 

SS850672 (2).JPG

SS850671 (2).JPG