News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Longest Serving Copper

The longest serving British Police Officer was Supt Richard Jervis Lancashire Constabulary he served 57 years in the police from 1850 to 1907. He joined at 18 and retired at 75 years of age !

He wrote a book called Chronicles of a Victorian Detective (reprinted a few years ago). He was also awarded the KPM two years after he retired, but he was ill so he did not receive it until 1911 and he died the day he got the medal.

This is his medal:

kpmrj.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds interesting BJOWasps. Keep us posted. I've never had much luck with the research on these gongs, although I do have an interesting group of five with a SC's LSGC on the end to an Inspector. He is unique as he has the only Territorial War Medal to the 15th Hussars.All I know about his SC medal is that he was from Monmouth. wub.gif

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Geoffrey McCarthy Beville, was born in Naini Tai India, the son of Col. C H Beville, Indian Army. He was educated at Bedford and later became a coffee planter in Coorg. In 1923 he married Violet T Russell, the daughter of a local G.P. Sadly Violet was killed during an air raid on the 16th August 1940, when she was out walking her dog on Farley Common, Westerham, the bomb landed close to her car and both Violet and the dog where killed by the blast. This all occurring just yards from her house. Geoffrey remarried in 1948, but sadly his second wife died in 1953. Geoffrey or Bronc as he was known locally was a keen sports man, if not a particularly gifted one playing cricket, golf amongst other sports. He would regularly get bowled out at cricket for a duck, and would always come up with some creditable excuse for this.
    He served during the Great War In the Mysore and Coorg Rifles, he also served as a Special Constable for 40 years, being involved in the General Strike in 1926, and finally retiring due to ill health on 6th August 1944. Bronc is described by people who knew him as `a rather stern man` and `an odd sort of character`.
    He died aged 72, in about 1964.

• 2 years later...

The longest serving British Police Officer was Supt Richard Jervis Lancashire Constabulary he served 57 years in the police from 1850 to 1907. He joined at 18 and retired at 75 years of age !

He wrote a book called Chronicles of a Victorian Detective (reprinted a few years ago). He was also awarded the KPM two years after he retired, but he was ill so he did not receive it until 1911 and he died the day he got the medal.

This is his medal:

A 75 year old copper....

"Stop in the name of the law!!! ....or I will run after you and beat you up you young whippersnapper!"

Surely it was George Dixon the poor old bugger was at Dock Green into his 80's and that was after he was killed in " The Blue Lamp "! :D

He was'nt a real copper though - he said "mind how you go" as if he meant it & not with the hint of menace - the unspoken "or else" with which it is properly said.......

Unfortunately I don't recall all the details, but when I first moved to the county I live in here in Florida there was an 80-something year old deputy who worked as a court bailiff who was suppossedly the oldest deputy sheriff in Florida. I don't recall how long he had served.

A mere 355 working days to go......then......... :cheers::jumping::cheers::jumping::cheers:

On 'paid leave' for the rest of my life!

I always think that 30 years in this job is like 60 years in any other. :banger::speechless::banger::speechless::banger:

Ah yes - join the rest of we Queens Bad Bargains.

But every time you seer or hear lights & music in the distance you reach for your non-existent pocket fone & car keys.........

Even though you miss the constant adrenalin rush, whenever you think you miss the job - you ponder a bit & then thnk "Nah, well out of it".

If the scrotes don't get you the Rubber Heel Squad - sorry, Professional Standards Department / compalints authority or other powerful bodies with no perception of evidence, fairness or real life out there on the streets will........l.

Hey, I sound bitter for someone who never got done for anything - it was just hard keeping it that way.

There is a story about a P.C who retired a few years ago from The Palace of Westminster. He was a probationer at the Old Cannon Row when they looked after Parliment. One day he was told to stand at point by the Members cloak room. He was never given another posting and spent a very happy 30 years gaurding the members rain coats. ;)

Lovely - I could have done with a job like that.

I think the closest I got was standing in the rain reserving a parking place for Princess Anne years ago.

She ignored me, the SB blokes laughed at me but Capt. Philips was pleasant enough to say thank you - perhaps the mark of an army officer to think of the troops.

That about sums me up - can't do anything a no parking bollard can't do.

I had the pleasure of sitting in a corridor on my own for 6 hours stopping people entering the charge room in order to try and get Eric Cantonas autograph after his Kung Fu display. Though of course he was treated like everyone else though many a time I've had the charge room door opened for me by a Ch. Supt 2 Supts and 3 CI. He was a nice bloke though shocking dress sense though. :P

• 9 years later...

Think this chap is the longest serving Met officer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Olive

Now that officers are required to work until their 60, it won't be unusual for officers to have 42 years service. It will be interesting to see whether, bars will be issued to police long service medals, along that same lines as that issued in the military? 

• 2 years later...

I don't know if it qualifies but in Liverpool until approx mid 70's there was a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Police Reserve. Those in the First Police Reserve after " Retirement" would simply carry on as Constable's and I had the dubious  honour to meet a really grumpy one in 1970 when he was on enquiry office duty at Tuebrook Police Station of the by then Liverpool and Bootle Constabulary. He was sporting the ribbons of the WWI War and Victory Medal. He had joined the Liverpool City Police in 1919 in response to the call for replacements for the 900 and odd dismissed strikers. If you overlook the fact that he was getting a pension and still Paid as full time Officer that is 51 years + as he served a few years more. My meeting with him did not end well by the way as these old hands did not tolerate Cocky young Officers .But I don't bear a grudge so RIP Mr. R

• 2 weeks later...