News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

help with cap badges

Hi I have these 2 cap badge one for the Royal Kings Rifles the other for the rifle brigade.  I don't know anything about these, it they are original  or restrikes.  The kings rifles badge I've not seen before I had a look in a couple of reference books but the examples they give does not look like this one.  Thank you for you help with this :) 

Cap badge.jpg

Here's the other one :) 

capbadge 2.jpg

From doing some more digging around, I think the Rifle Brigade is an example of a pre 1903 cap badge, which is a little disappointing but I've learnt loads from digging around.  The only way I could tell this was an example is on an original there isn't a gap at the top and bottom show here.  Although I'm still not sure about the Royal Kings rifles badge.

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/index.php?option=com_djclassifieds&view=item&cid=7:cap-badges&id=12183:the-rifle-brigade-cap-badge&Itemid=477

I may get my wrist slapped for saying this, but try the British Badge Forum.  I think many of these type of badge are being reproduced for collectors, or 'faked' if you like.  The wear on the blackening looks, superficially, as if they may be originals but I'm not an expert.  I also know that there are literally dozens of variations on some regiments' badges so the 'gap' may not be diagnostic.

Hmmm thanks Peter, I looked it up in my reference book and didn't show a gab so i dug around on line some more, yes I'm beginning to think they are both examples rather than original.  The only thing is that they both feel very good quality. :\ 

Hi yes both were painted, which was hiding some of the detailing removed the paint, to see what was going of, and yep I believe the are both fake. Bit gutting as bout them a military auction with 3 other badges labelled as 5 ORIGINAL!  Badges. :( If these are not then I’m guessing the others aren’t also :(  No the edges aren’t sharp. 

5D47FD12-3553-4B6F-8808-6C771B2968A2.jpeg

C93C9C4B-DD0A-4192-B73D-B27325717845.jpeg

I'm happy to put the other picts up on here, But I spoke with the auction house and they said if I sent them back they would give me a credit note on my account as couldn't give my money back had the vendor had already been paid... So I have sent them back, as wouldn't have got anything back from the auction house.

cap 1.jpg

Cap 1 back.jpg

cap 2.jpg

Cap 2 back.jpg

cap 3.jpg

Cap 3 back.jpg