News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Third Reich customs SB?

I thought that yhese SB's were Customs originally but they can't be because they do not have the RSV cypher. Can anyone help with id please? The chevrons are black thread and the backing is dark green. Two gilt pips to front.

Thanks

query1.jpg

query.jpg

Hello ,Yes the BGS chevrons were dark green not black .  then your SB must be that of a Oberzollinspektor Landzollbeamte ,bottle green and dull aluminium . The Zollbeamten ,used bottle green and bright aluminium

RAD Administration.  They had the dark green waffenfarbe.  RAD Medical was cornflower blue, and RAD Legal was powder blue.  All other RAD Ranks used the black waffenfarbe. 

Landezollbeamte officer boards had dark green flecks in the braid.  RAD always had black flecks in the braid.

On 07/11/2018 at 18:42, Bayern said:

Hello ,Yes the BGS chevrons were dark green not black .  then your SB must be that of a Oberzollinspektor Landzollbeamte ,bottle green and dull aluminium . The Zollbeamten ,used bottle green and bright aluminium

So the boards did have the RFV cyphers? But the Oberzollinspek./Bezirkzoll-Kommissar boards like these as well as all Zoll boards should have green thread hash marks, not black. At least on the uniform charts I have.

13 hours ago, Paul R said:

RAD Administration.  They had the dark green waffenfarbe.  RAD Medical was cornflower blue, and RAD Legal was powder blue.  All other RAD Ranks used the black waffenfarbe. 

Landezollbeamte officer boards had dark green flecks in the braid.  RAD always had black flecks in the braid.

That certainly fits what I originally thought. Then it was suggested by someone else that it could be customs Oberzollinspektor Landzollbeamte . It is a fascinating subject but very confusing for a non expert like myself. I will take it all on board. Many thanks.

9 hours ago, JoeW said:

So the boards did have the RFV cyphers? But the Oberzollinspek./Bezirkzoll-Kommissar boards like these as well as all Zoll boards should have green thread hash marks, not black. At least on the uniform charts I have.

No Joe they didn't have the cyphers. I am still torn between RAD and Customs as I have had conflicting opinions. Unfortunately I don't have any reference books for this subject and rely on others input. However I am taking it all on board and will no doubt arrive at the correct answer in the end. Thanks for your comments.

Regarding RAD Admin rank titles, I will have to research when I get a chance.  I don't know if they used the Zahlmeister series of titles or if they just adhered to the standard RAD titles.  I don't have a RAD reference book of my own to access. 

I have a very remote interest in the organization, but I think they are a pretty cool service and collect some random boards and pieces.

Following on from your lead that they are RAD administrative, I think that they might be rank of Hauptamtswalter. I found this in a discussion on another forum but unfortunately there were no pics they were just discussing ranks. I will need to try and find pics to back this up.

Best Regards

Hello ,The Reichsarbeitdienst rank badges were initially of distinctive type with trefoil shaped SBs ,from 1943 onwards they changed to a Army type model . Gefreiter : I suggest to you to take a look at the site German daggers com . first go to Forum and iside it at the right column Collar / shoulder tabs other NSDAP . the RAD was initially the Freiwilligearbeitdienst ,in 1934 was renamed RAD.