News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ECUADOR ORDEN SAN LORENZO

Hello Gentlemen,

I will do my best to start a topic concerning the highest ranking Order of Ecuador, the Order of Saint Laurent (Orden de San Lorenzo).

It was first established in 1809 as a Military Order by the President of the First Revolutionary Government of Quito : Juan PÍo Montúfar, but when the power returned to spanish hands, the Order disappeared for a century and a half.

In its modern form the Order of Saint Laurent was "restored" by the President of Ecuador Camilo Ponce Enriquez on August 10, 1959.

But the law concerning Orde of Saint Laurent was amended on 4 June 2001, during the Government of President Gustavo Noboa Bejarano, it exist in 3 Classes : Grand Collar, Grand Cross & Grand Officer.

Thanks to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Order_of_San_Lorenzo 

Here on display a Grand Cross breast star, diameter 78 Millimeters. weight 77 Grammes.

It was made by Arthus Bertrand in Paris (the hallmark is visible on the pin of 3rd photo and close up on hallmark on 4th photo).

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 1st Class breast star obverse.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 1st Class breast star side.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 1st Class breast star reverse.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 1st Class breast star hallmark on pin.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the 2nd Class breast star of the Order of Saint Laurent, which of course retain the same design, but is smaller, and without enamel on tip of arms.

The 2nd Class breast star is 69 Millimeters in diameter, and its weight is 62 Grammes.

It was also made by Arthus Bertrand from Paris, which their hallmark is on reverse of the pin "AB & Cie 925".

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 2nd Class breast star.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 2nd Class breast star reverse.jpg

Ecuador Order San Lorenzo hallmark on 2nd class breast star.jpg

Hello again, over the years of collecting, I've been lucky enough to get ounce a neck badge of the Order of Saint Laurent (from an auction in which Arthus Bertrand had sold some of ODM the company had in its drawers). The 2nd class breast star came from another source.

The neck badge is 53 x 80 Millimeters.

The neck ribbon loop is hallmarked by Arthus Bertrand and with silver hallmark, but not the badge itself.

The ribbon was the one, with which it was sold, regarding to available ribbon charts, it might not be correct ribbon.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo 2nd Class set.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo Commander obverse.jpg

Ecuador Order of San Lorenzo Commander reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Only ounce in my life a saw a Grand Cross set for sale, it was an auction held by the late Luc Farhi in January 1997, in Paris. I attended the auction, but on that time, no I Phone.....so I didn't took a pictures, and I do not remember if the set came with its sash.

By browsing the net, I have been able to find this picture of an Order San Lorenzo set of the Grand Cross, but Carlos Peña Moreno is to be credited for having posting it on his twitter account : @cpenamoreno 

It shows how looks like the sash ribbon colors, with the correct shade of red.

King Juan Carlos from Spain & King Felipe VI have been awarded this Order, maybe Iija can get a photo, I have look hours to catch a photo, but unsuccessful.

General de Gaulle who visited Quito in 1964 (as part of his 10 Nations South America Tour), was (after some confusion & quiproquo awarded the Collar of the Order of Merit of Ecuador).

The whereabouts of this Collar of Order of Merit awarded to General de Gaulle was really odd, but finally this Collar is now in the possession of the Museum of the Order of Liberation in Paris, but not yet in display.

Watch this https://fresques.ina.fr/de-gaulle/fiche-media/Gaulle00101/voyage-en-equateur.html 

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel 

Ecuador Order San Lorenzo Grand Cross.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Heusy,

Nice picture of the grand cross of this rare order. The Museum of the Order of Liberation has all the decorations of general de Gaulle, a very nice museum to visit.

I don't know if it is a real story, but about the Latin American visit of general De Gaulle, Time magazine wrote that the Equadorian junta generals were angry that they all received only the Grand- Officer in the french Legion of Honour, whereas the presidents in the other countries received the Grand Cross. The French government explained to the generals that per country only one Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour could be presented. At the suggestion that one Grand Cross should have been presented to the junta as a whole, a french newspaper commented how to get the red ribbon of the Grand Cross around four men without having them look like a Bunch of radishes.

regards, Pieter

• 1 year later...