News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can you identify this hat badge?

This hat badge (at least that's what I think it is) was among some medals I recently inherited.  The medals are from my 2nd great uncle (Captain, 5th Dragoon Guards) and my great grandfather (Captain Royal Horse Guards).  This is the only thing I can't identify and I've searched all over the www.  Any ideas?

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

Here are some detail pictures which might help.  I'm thinking it a Hussar's regiment, but I can't find anything that identifies it with certainty.

2iuf33c.jpg

2m2dovn.jpg1z5ojh1.jpg

If one looks long enough, the answer comes . . .

Now the question is, How did it come to be in the possession of my English / Irish family? ?‍♂️

2dk9xeg.jpg

2dk9xeg.jpgLook

My 2nd Great Uncle was a captain in the 5th Dragoon Guards.  He has a medal for the Egyptian Campaign, but I'm not sure if this badge is from that era.  My great grandfather was in the royal Horse guards and my grandfather served as a lieutenant in Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

Thank you for your help, Simon!

Captain Hon. Thomas Kenelm Digby St. Lawrence, 5th Dragoon Guards 1876 - ?.  He served in the Egyptian Campaign in 1882.  He died in 1891 at age 35 of typhoid fever.

Kenelm Edward Lee Guinness, Lieutenant Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve 1914-18.

Edited by KLG

Hello there KLG,

I agree this is German for sure and I reckon it would be circ 1870-80 maybe earlier. I think this would be a badge bolted/fixed to the flap of a cartouche as worn by Hussars, Artillery, Uhlans, etc. It appears to be originally flat and that would suggest that this was not worn on a hat or helmet or even on a tunic sleeve. Certainly an other ranks fitting as officers' equivalent were without a doubt more ornate. I have not proof as such but in my opinion this is the most likely use. Another 'non-military' use could be from a pouch as worn by civil services such as post officers or police maybe. However, due to the collection it was in amongst, it is probably as you imply. Military.  

I posed in the Germany section of these forums at it was identified as hat badge for the Askari colonial troops in Africa.  Probably Schutztruppe since their badges were white metal while the Polizeitruppe Askari's badges were brass.

683889040_Askarihat.jpg.3c5b628c3820971a6e23ff1debccd8ce.jpg